Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-13-2011, 11:51 AM   #1
kai_e
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Won't pull underwear down?

We started potty training with DS1 and he is doing great. When he is naked from the waist down, we ask every so often if he has to pee in the potty but 99% of the time he pees and then points to the potty so we can see/empty it.

With a pull up he will just go in the pull up so we switched to underwear, except I can't get it through to him that he has to pull the underwear down. We have shown him a bazillion times and this is what happens:

DS1 plays, realizes he has to go pee and then sits on the potty to pee WHILE wearing his underwear. Then brings the potty insert to us to empty while he is still in his now soaked underwear.

I am really at a loss. He did it 3 times this morning!! How do I get him to understand that even if he is wearing something (underwear, shorts, pullup, jeans etc) he has to take them off to pee?

Advertisement

kai_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 04:47 PM   #2
poopstermomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Won't pull underwear down?

We tried a simple game and it worked perfectly. When DD pulls down her panties we have her wiggle her hips a LOT and says "shimmy, shimmy, shimmy". We made sure we repeated that game about a million times, (and modeled doing it myself about a million times) and after a few days all I had to do is shout as she'd runn to the potty "shimmy shimmy" and she remembered. She was around 15 months when we taught her the game, and she will still mutter under her breath "shimmyshimmy" at 26 months! CUTE!
poopstermomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 04:48 PM   #3
poopstermomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

At around the same time, we had to teach the saying "panties first!" because she would pull up her pants and leave her undies balled up around her knees. Hilarious!!
So she'd point and sign potty and we'd say, "Hooray, you peed!! Panties first!"
poopstermomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 06:22 PM   #4
FairyBeautifulMama
Registered Users
Formerly: j***imm
seller

My Mood:

Yeah we always have to say "pants, underwear, seat and then pee" when DS1 was first learning... and then when he was done we would say "underwear, pants, seat, flush"
Old 04-17-2011, 10:05 PM   #5
alaskamum
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm bumping this b/c we have the same problem...he makes it to the potty just fine but doesn't get the whole pulling pants down thing...he doesn't talk yet but sometimes I can tell he needs to go and he wants me to pull them down for him so I do and he will run off to the potty with his underwear at his knees.
alaskamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 08:34 AM   #6
kai_e
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Just a quick update - he continues to do fine when he is pantsless - just goes to the potty and never has an accident. We tried underwear this weekend and he had an accident almost every time and much to my dismay, being in wet underwear didn't seem to bother him!!

DH and I are continuing to chant the order - pants, underwear, then pee. And then the reverse - underwear, pants then play but it doesn't seem to be sinking in.

His DCP is taking him to the potty every 30 mins but if he is wearing a pull up he will just pee in it instead of asking to go to the potty.

So frustrated!!!
kai_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 09:00 AM   #7
alaskamum
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

DS just has no interest in even touching his pants. LOL. But he does hold his bladder quite well, I stopped asking him all the time and I will just put him on the potty at important times, like before eating, before/after going to sleep and he does pretty well with that.
I'm guessing it will come with time. He has always taken his sweet time hitting his milestones, not because he can't but because he is just one mellow kid.
Until then...
alaskamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 03:08 PM   #8
MinkaK
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Is he able to pull them down quickly? It took DS a while to be able to do that and would sometimes just pee in them since he would get pee on them anyways while trying to get them down in time.
Old 04-18-2011, 03:15 PM   #9
jac1976
Registered Users
seller

Can he take his underwear down by himself? I found that for both my kids, they had a difficult time taking their underwear off if it was the correct size. The underwear needed to be a size or two too big for them to get it up/down easily. My 3 year old is currently in 3T/4T clothing, but wears size 6 panties.
Old 04-18-2011, 03:17 PM   #10
MinkaK
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jac1976 View Post
Can he take his underwear down by himself? I found that for both my kids, they had a difficult time taking their underwear off if it was the correct size. The underwear needed to be a size or two too big for them to get it up/down easily. My 3 year old is currently in 3T/4T clothing, but wears size 6 panties.
That's funny. DD is currently wearing her brothers underwear ( she is 19m and he is 3 1/2) since it is easier for her to pull down. ( well and they are super cool spiderman ones too)