Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-29-2016, 03:00 PM   #1
OklaFarmMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Disposable or cloth training pants?

My 2 1/2 yo will use the potty some times. Someone recently gave us some pullups and I gave them a try. She loves them. I use fitted diapers without a cover while we are at home. She seems to prefer those to other diapers. I'm just trying to deuces if I should get more pullups, or get cloth training pants? I don't think it's going to be a quick transition from diapers to potty trained.

Advertisement

IHA crochet skills, or PayPal
OklaFarmMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 05:04 PM   #2
Rockinmama24
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I don't like pullups for potty training. They wick the moisture away not letting the child know that they are wet.
Rockinmama24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 05:51 PM   #3
bbammu
Registered Users
seller

Re: Disposable or cloth training pants?

I was thinking about cloth training pants when my dd was around 16 months old and began pulling off her fitted diapers.

I never made a move because overhelemed by the choices. Here we are 6 weeks later and she doesn't need them, she's in plain underwear. I put them on her and she began stay dry after a week of accidents. She still can't pull them down on her own in time though.

I wouldn't go with a disposable at this point, if potty training is the goal. She would do better knowing she's wern

Sent from my SM-J5108 using Tapatalk
bbammu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 03:47 PM   #4
twood80
Registered Users
seller
seller

You can do cloth training pants, pull up style, like these: http://itsourlongstory.blogspot.com/...ing-pants.html or many other premade purchasable options. If you've been happy with cloth until now, I wouldn't feel pressured to move to disposables.
twood80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 04:41 PM   #5
LaurenAppenzeller
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockinmama24 View Post
I don't like pullups for potty training. They wick the moisture away not letting the child know that they are wet.
QUOTE=Rockinmama24;17720854]

This...it's much easier to potty train when they can feel they're wet. Also its uncomfortable so there's motivation to go in the potty. Good luck whatever you end up doing, it's a good thing she's into big girl pants regardless, she'll be excited for either
LaurenAppenzeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 05:43 PM   #6
coquelicot
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

You can use the pull-ups at night when you're not really trying to train them to stay dry yet. Or if you're going on a long car ride. For active training, yep, go with something where they can feel the wet. I would sometimes use the pull-ups over underwear while PTing DS on those longer car rides when he was first learning. He felt the wet but the mess was contained.
Old 05-30-2016, 07:32 PM   #7
abh5e8
Registered Users

We use the gerber cloth training pants, from Walmart or target. Just thick enough to hold small accidents but thin enough to use as regular underpants until they outgrow them. And the price is right.

We use disposable pullups on long car rides, nap and nights. But, I just bought two thirsties large covers and some GMD toddler flats to put DD back in cloth at night and naps. I'm hoping it helps her learn to stay dry.
Old 03-08-2017, 11:24 AM   #8
Cottontailmom
Registered Users

I am a fan of cloth. They feel and look like real underwear. Also, for most cloth training pants, the child does feel some wetness when he or she has an accident which helps with the whole learning aspect. If they don't feel any wetness, they don't really know that they had an accident.

Good luck!
Cottontailmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 10:17 PM   #9
every.tribe78
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We used Imse Vimse cloth pull ups. I liked them bc they allow the child to feel wet and actually TRAIN to hold it a little longer each time, but they are not too thin that they make a mess. They are made for 2-3 year olds.

Jessica
every.tribe78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 12:15 AM   #10
brigala
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I bought a few Alva cloth trainers to try out. I really like them and just ordered a whole set for when we start taking PT seriously (which will be soon - she already asks to go occasionally).

They don't hold up to springing a serious leak, but if you're leaving the house they can be pulled on over the top of a fitted diaper and will act like a pull-on cover. Around the house, they can be used alone.

I intend to use them as underpants for the foreseeable future. They are thin enough to wear like panties. They're probably about the same thickness as the Gerber padded underwear, but with a PUL outer layer.
brigala is offline   Reply With Quote