Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-02-2017, 10:58 AM   #1
Elchorrito
Registered Users
seller

Not emptying bladder?

Is there something that makes a kid not empty his bladder when he pees? DS pees every time we sit him on the potty, almost no matter what. I haven't tried more frequently than 20 min, but he can basically squeeze out a few drops at least every time, and he does it consciously, as in he knows what he's doing. But lately he's been peeing, saying "done" and then wetting his pants in like 10 min. Either he isn't emptying his bladder when he goes or he has forgotten/lost how to hold it til next time? I can't figure it out!

I've tried making him sit on the potty a little longer, but it makes him mad and I don't want him to get negative associations with the potty. Same for going more frequently. If he just went, he gets frustrated when I try to take him again in 10 min or whatever. I'm getting frustrated, because a few weeks ago I thought we basically had this down! Now I want to put him back in diapers.

Advertisement

Elchorrito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 11:38 AM   #2
MamaChirpy
Registered Users
seller

Re: Not emptying bladder?

Yes! It is common for kids to not empty their bladders completely.
MamaChirpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 11:44 AM   #3
Elchorrito
Registered Users
seller

Argh!! Why?? And how do I get him to empty it? I'm thinking about turning up the heat and going bottomless for a few days again. We did that back in August, but maybe he's forgetting to pay attention now. It's pretty cold here though
Old 11-02-2017, 01:41 PM   #4
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

Yes that's very common. We would always say "go some more. Try to pee some more." They usually could--sometimes they would pee a lot more the second time and then you know you are good for a while.

Also--any chance he is constipated? That can affect the bladder and sometimes kids will start having accidents because of constipation.
jen_batten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 02:00 PM   #5
MamaChirpy
Registered Users
seller

I know that with girls, sometimes leaning forward while sitting on the potty helps. No idea if that works for boys though.
Old 11-02-2017, 04:36 PM   #6
Elchorrito
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen_batten View Post
Yes that's very common. We would always say "go some more. Try to pee some more." They usually could--sometimes they would pee a lot more the second time and then you know you are good for a while.

Also--any chance he is constipated? That can affect the bladder and sometimes kids will start having accidents because of constipation.
Possible? He did poop yesterday but it was firm and he hasn't yet today. I did some reading on that and I see what you mean.

I also re-read a few chapters in my books and am feeling better. Regressions and issues are common and also I've probably been slacking a little; getting too comfortable. I need to get back on it and work with him more intensively again I think. I had kind of quit working on the sign or really encouraging him as much.
Old 11-02-2017, 07:25 PM   #7
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

Both of those are good possibilities. Hopefully he will be back on track soon!
Old 11-02-2017, 07:52 PM   #8
Elchorrito
Registered Users
seller

Nope! Definitely not constipated! Or at least, not anymore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaChirpy View Post
I know that with girls, sometimes leaning forward while sitting on the potty helps. No idea if that works for boys though.
Really? I never knew that...is it true for adults too? I'll try it just in case it does work for boys. And also as Jen said, I'll just keep asking him to go a little more.

Today was a really good day, now that I vented about my recent frustrations. Only one accident today and that was while we were at the park and I sort of forgot how long we had been there.
Old 11-02-2017, 08:04 PM   #9
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

Yes that is true for women too. I do that sometimes especially when pregnant. Or wearing a cup.
Old 11-02-2017, 09:41 PM   #10
MamaChirpy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elchorrito View Post
Nope! Definitely not constipated! Or at least, not anymore!

Really? I never knew that...is it true for adults too? I'll try it just in case it does work for boys. And also as Jen said, I'll just keep asking him to go a little more.

Today was a really good day, now that I vented about my recent frustrations. Only one accident today and that was while we were at the park and I sort of forgot how long we had been there.

Glad the constipation issue is solved! Haha!

Yup. As a child, I had to go have some sort of x-ray or something (not x-ray but I don't know the word) done on me. I was not emptying my bladder completely and it was making my stomach hurt a lot.