Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-31-2012, 12:53 PM   #261
Geckmumto3
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: MAY Flowers ... \*/ Garden Chat thread \*/

Gardens are looking great, ladies. We are finishing up planting this week, and I will post some pics. I am so jealous of people who are harvesting already. Cannot wait!!!

In the meantime, I did harvest the garlic scapes today. This is only 1/3 of them....

Garlic scape pesto this weekend!!

Advertisement

Geckmumto3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 04:16 PM   #262
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

BABIES!! I was stunned when Connor came running out to me this am saying the post office lady called and said "your chicks are here!". I ordered 10, they sent .... 15!!! All alive, perky and the most adorable chicks I've ever seen. I gave 6 away to my friend deborah, and three to her daughter (she's my age). Whew, that's better. I would have loved to keep them all but our space is limited.

So my bonus chick was a buff brahma, and they sent an extra of both types of wyandotte and an extra ameraucana.

I kept exactly what I said I was going to, so I'm proud of myself. They were pretty irresistible.

Random pics, the first pic is the ones I kept.

I spent so much of my day running around trying to get ready that I forgot my poor big girls and the garden. Everything, girls included were looking droopy with the heat so they got watermelon treats and the sprinkler in the corner of the coop.

3lilbubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 10:12 PM   #263
Bumstoppers
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Aww they are all too cute.
Bumstoppers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 10:15 PM   #264
Bumstoppers
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
So i read back a ways... You ladies are ordering ladybugs and praying mantis for control of what?

That is awesome!!
Bumstoppers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 10:38 PM   #265
brookglen
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumstoppers
So i read back a ways... You ladies are ordering ladybugs and praying mantis for control of what?

That is awesome!!
They are both highly beneficial bugs. Lady bugs being ferocious aphid eaters and mantises having more of the "anything it can tackle" type of appetite.

I'm fairly certain that someone in my neighborhood released lady bugs because they were everywhere for while. My mantises are still kicking though. Hope they get nice and big.
brookglen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 12:17 AM   #266
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookglen View Post
They are both highly beneficial bugs. Lady bugs being ferocious aphid eaters and mantises having more of the "anything it can tackle" type of appetite.

I'm fairly certain that someone in my neighborhood released lady bugs because they were everywhere for while. My mantises are still kicking though. Hope they get nice and big.
I live in the desert so usually any green attracts pests like a plague. Last year the ladybugs and mantis and spiders did a great job of keeping most of it under control for me. I'm trying to avoid chemicals completely this year if possible. Especially with the girls (chickens) around now. When they are out, they eat dirt and drink from the sprinkler. I don't want them ingesting anything harmful to them or us, obviously.
Old 06-01-2012, 04:29 AM   #267
ecbcmomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

Does anyone know what to do about grasshoppers ? They found a couple of my rose bushes. I'd die if they got my veggies too! I hand picked the babies that I found today on the roses. I'm so terrified of grasshoppers bc they always fly straight in my hair! If there is a grasshopper around, you can bet he is going to fly in my hair!! I bet so many have gotten a laugh in seeing this happen to me .
I'd love to get a toad for my garden...lol. There are frogs and toads in my back yard so I think it may be possible. I saw a salamander in my garden the other night. After the Epsom salt and the salamander sighting, I haven't noticed any more slug damage either!

Last edited by ecbcmomma; 06-01-2012 at 04:30 AM.
ecbcmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 08:51 AM   #268
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

Today is june 1rst new thread here!

http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/....php?t=1401393
Old 03-12-2018, 01:10 AM   #269
DanielaLee
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3lilbubs View Post

I saw some tomato worm droppings when I was looking at the tomatoes this am. I didn't see the perpetrator(s) but I'm sure they will turn up soon. They may actually be doing me a favor. I've decided to be as hands-off with the tomatoes as I can this year and they are working out to be a giant solid hedge. LOL
Tomatoes for hedging? Very original! I still can't define between Lilac and Holly hedging, which I personally consider awesome, just look at it ashridgetrees.co.uk/hedging/holly-plants . Holly plants love shade which I have in abundance, they carry berries and are evergreen .
DanielaLee is offline   Reply With Quote