Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-03-2014, 12:41 PM   #1
li'l skeeter
Registered Users
seller

Sample Birth Plans...need ideas!

Just wanted to get an idea of what some birth plans look like...i want mine to be fairly simple, but wondered if I should be more detailed!? (will be hospital birth as natural as possible)

Labor
- Let mama choose any position she desires to labor in with intermittent fetal monitoring.
- NO DRUGS (unless absoultely medically necessary)...no pitocin, epidural, IV, or Hep Lock

Birth
- Let mama birth in any position she desires
- Push naturally with contractions, not on demand

After Birth
- Delay cord clamping until cord stops pulsing; let Dad cut cord
- Immediately place baby on mama's chest: no wiping off fluids or clean up (unless medically necessary to examine baby immediately)
- Breastfeed

Advertisement

li'l skeeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 01:15 PM   #2
Vie.en.Rose
Registered Users
Formerly: **le3*
seller
seller

Re: Sample Birth Plans...need ideas!

In my experience, when it comes to birth plans, less is more! The nurses look them over quickly, so point form is best.

Quote:
Labor
- Let mama choose any position she desires to labor in with intermittent fetal monitoring.
- NO DRUGS (unless absoultely medically necessary)...no pitocin, epidural, IV, or Hep Lock
I wouldn't put the labour positions part on because (again, in my experience) the nurses don't care. They only care about your position if it isn't working or the baby is in distress.

Do you want the portable fetal monitor strapped to your belly (can't remember its name). Definitely mention that if you don't.

Do you want your water broken? Do you want your water NOT broken before a certain point?

Quote:
Birth
- Let mama birth in any position she desires
- Push naturally with contractions, not on demand
Again, I'd drop the positions bit. I also wouldn't put in the pushing part because you'll be the one pushing. If you get a nurse who insists on making you push on demand, a birth plan isn't going to change that. The only thing that will is you and your birth partner in the moment telling her to stop.

Other thoughts... Do you want an episiotomy? Do you want to pull the baby out yourself? Does Dad want to catch the baby?

Quote:
After Birth
- Delay cord clamping until cord stops pulsing; let Dad cut cord
- Immediately place baby on mama's chest: no wiping off fluids or clean up (unless medically necessary to examine baby immediately)
- Breastfeed
I would put Dad cutting cord on a separate line so it doesn't get missed. I wouldn't put breastfeeding on the plan because it has nothing to do with the nurses. They aren't going to whisk baby away and formula feed.

Other thoughts... Do you want the eye drops and vitamin k shot?

Best wishes for a quick and easy delivery!!

Like Swagbucks? Give Gifthulk a try!
Vie.en.Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 05:29 PM   #3
Teexie
Registered Users
seller

Do you know the usual practices of where you'll be delivering? Many of those were standard practice where I delivered DS...I did whatever I want in labor, intermittent monitoring, baby on chest immediately for at least an hour or until latch, pushing when I felt the urge in the position I wanted, DH cutting the cord. I didn't even do a birth plan, knowing all that.

The hospital where I delivered DD, however, was still in the stone ages and I had to spell out everything.

Last edited by Teexie; 04-03-2014 at 05:31 PM.
Teexie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 09:26 AM   #4
li'l skeeter
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teexie View Post
Do you know the usual practices of where you'll be delivering? Many of those were standard practice where I delivered DS...I did whatever I want in labor, intermittent monitoring, baby on chest immediately for at least an hour or until latch, pushing when I felt the urge in the position I wanted, DH cutting the cord. I didn't even do a birth plan, knowing all that.

The hospital where I delivered DD, however, was still in the stone ages and I had to spell out everything.
I had my DS at the hospital where I will be going again for his one. We had planned a homebirth with him, but he decided to come quite quickly and 6 weeks early so I literally just walked into the hospital and asked to get checked...he was born 50 min. later! The staff did just about everything I wanted, so I'm not sure I really need a birth plan anyway...just putting some thoughts out there. The only thing I would really prefer is delay cord clamping...other than that, I'll voice my opinions/complaints/requests.
li'l skeeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 03:56 PM   #5
MamaMuffin
Registered Users
seller

Here's mine. Some of it is specific to me/my health needs but it might help you as a sample for a natural hospital birth.

This is my flexible birth plan for my son, who is due in July. I would appreciate it if you would take the time to review this and give any feedback that you may have. I trust that you'll help to make sure that our experience is as safe, healthy, and fulfilling for me and my son as possible. I don't intend or want to replace your expertise, and I will defer to hospital staff if anything about this plan is medically inappropriate, or if any complications arise that require deviation from the plan. My goal isn't to establish absolutes, but to give a general outline for what I would prefer for myself and my son. I value your expertise and welcome any input.

Late Pregnancy and Pre-Labor

I would like to avoid medically unnecessary internal exams throughout pregnancy.

I received my most recent Tdap booster in 2011, but I’m aware that the CDC now recommends Tdap in pregnancy even if the mother is up-to-date. I would like to discuss the benefits and risks of getting another booster

I’d like to be informed of any findings that could be relevant to labor or to the baby’s health, such as the baby’s estimated size and apparent position. I understand that these aren’t always accurate or clinically relevant, and could cause unnecessary worry, but it’s still my preference to know about them.

Labor

Unless there are signs of a complication, I don’t plan to go to the hospital during early labor.

I would like to be free to walk, change positions, and use the bathroom as desired during labor.

Please limit the number of vaginal exams unless they’re medically indicated.

As long as our baby is doing well, I prefer that fetal heart tones be monitored intermittently with an external monitor or Doppler.

To preserve my privacy and dignity, I would prefer that everyone knock before entering except in an emergency.

I would prefer to be able to drink water and sports drinks freely during labor, although I am open to discussing this. I have severe GERD and may be at a higher-than-average risk of aspiration. Please counsel me about what our best options might be.

I would like a heparin lock but do not want IV fluids unless there an indication that they are needed, although I would like IV fluids if I am unable to drink water.

Labor Augmentation/Induction

I would like to avoid induction unless it is medically necessary.

If my pregnancy progresses past 40 weeks, I would prefer to base the decision to induce on the baby’s health and not my convenience.

I would like to try alternative means of labor augmentation, like walking or nipple stimulation, before pitocin or artificial rupture of membranes is attempted.

Please do not rupture my membranes artificially unless medically indicated.

Pain Medication

Please do not offer anesthesia or analgesia unless I ask for it.

If I ask for pain relief, please feel free to offer nonmedical choices for coping and/or remind me how close I am to the birth.

I would like to try using gas and air for pain management during labor.

If I need stronger pain relief, I would like to try a low-dose narcotic before an epidural.

C-Section and Other Alternative Delivery Methods

In general, I would like to avoid a C-section unless there is good reason to believe that it would
be the safest and healthiest way to deliver my son.

If possible, if a non-emergency C-section seems like the safest or healthiest option for any reason, I would like for [other CNMs and OBs at the practice], or another expert to provide a second opinion. (I understand that there would likely be no time for a second opinion in an emergency.)

I would prefer to remain fully conscious during a C-section if at all possible.

I would very strongly prefer to avoid delivery assisted by forceps or vacuum extractor unless there is a life-threatening emergency.

Perineal Care

I prefer not to have an episiotomy unless it is medically indicated.

Please administer local anesthesia when repairing any episiotomy or tears.

Delivery

Even if I am fully dilated, and assuming our baby is not in distress, I would like to wait until I feel the urge to push before beginning the pushing phase.

I would like the freedom to push and deliver in any position I like.

If possible, please offer me the option of seeing the baby's birth in a mirror or feeling the baby's head as it crowns. (I may choose not to.)

Immediately after the birth

Please place my baby on my stomach or chest immediately after delivery unless there is a medical reason not to.

I would like to breastfeed our baby immediately after birth unless we need to be separated because of an emergency.

Please allow the umbilical cord to stop pulsating before it is cut.

Please allow my spouse to cut the baby’s umbilical cord.

Unless I am bleeding severely or am unable to nurse the baby, I prefer to wait for spontaneous delivery of the placenta and do not want a routine injection of Pitocin.

Newborn Care

I would like to hold our baby through delivery of the placenta and any repair procedures.

If possible, please evaluate the baby as close to me as possible (preferably while I hold him).

If our baby must go to the nursery for evaluation or medical treatment, I would prefer for my spouse to accompany him.

Please use antibiotic eye drops instead of ointment, so that my baby and I can see each other face-to-face. If possible, please delay the eye drops for an hour or two after birth.

I would prefer for the baby to receive the vitamin K injection while I hold him, or as close to me as possible.

I would prefer to delay the hepatitis B vaccine until the baby is 1 to 2 weeks old (I will arrange this with his pediatrician), although I am open to having it immediately after birth if someone will explain to me why it is medically advantageous.

If possible, I would like for the baby to be given the vitamin K injection and PKU test in my room, not in the nursery.

If possible, I would like for the baby to be bathed in my room.

Postpartum Care

I would like to have our baby room-in with me at all times if at all possible.

I would like my spouse to room-in with me.

I would like my daughter to have visitation access to me and the baby.

Assuming I feel up to it and our baby is healthy, I would like to be released from the hospital as soon as possible following the birth.

Breastfeeding

I plan to breastfeed and want to nurse the baby immediately following the birth.

Please do not give our baby supplements (including formula, glucose, or plain water) without my consent, unless there is an urgent medical necessity.

I would like to meet with the staff lactation consultant, particularly if I am having difficulty with breastfeeding.

Additional notes

I am not planning to have our baby circumcised.

I assume this is already standard practice, but to err on the side of caution: I do not want any hospital staff to handle my baby unless they have up-to-date flu and Tdap vaccines.

I would like for any treating staff to be aware that I have an anxiety disorder and may need extra sensitivity and reassurance, especially in the event of an emergency.
MamaMuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 08:01 PM   #6
littlefish2390
Registered Users

I have been trying to make out mine and you all mentioned somethings that I had forgotten about. Thanks!
littlefish2390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 12:19 PM   #7
Ready2Bmommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I personally would leave the part about positions and pushing with contractions in. My first labor they told me when to push, and I hated it. With my second, I did it all as I felt it, and it was SO much better!!
Hadley, proud to be a wife to Wes (5/26/07), Catholic, natural birthing, BFing, Bedsharing, BWing, ERFing, WOHM, Master's student graduate, and mama to my loves, Emmitt(8/17/09) & Ellen Kate (9/22/11)
Adding a new little snow baby to our family Jan 2015
Help me earn more space on Dropbox!!
Ready2Bmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 12:21 PM   #8
Ready2Bmommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I used this website (http://www.earthmamaangelbaby.com/free-birth-plan) and then added, took out, or modified to make it fit what I wanted.
Hadley, proud to be a wife to Wes (5/26/07), Catholic, natural birthing, BFing, Bedsharing, BWing, ERFing, WOHM, Master's student graduate, and mama to my loves, Emmitt(8/17/09) & Ellen Kate (9/22/11)
Adding a new little snow baby to our family Jan 2015
Help me earn more space on Dropbox!!
Ready2Bmommy is offline   Reply With Quote