Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-18-2007, 06:37 AM   #1
gray2402
Registered Users

Some help please ... rash from CD's?

Ok a little background ... I started CD my daughter when she was around 18-20 months old using mostly FB ... I washed in a detergent the girl I bought them from suggested, it was some sort of Lavender/Chamomille detg. I can't remember the name ... it was powder ...

When I washed I did a pre-rinse with scoop of detg., then a hot wash with scoop of detg. and then two rinses again ... they smelled clean and appeared clean ...

she started getting a bad diaper rash all over front and back areas probably about 2 months after wearing them full time ... tried creams, ointments, naked time etc ... then just switched back to sposies and it went away ...

we were getting ready to move also, so just washed the dipes, packed them up and shipped them with our stuff at the end of October ... we got our stuff end of December and I washed them up like normal, but with 2 pots of boiling hot water added to washing machinem and started using them again ... we are also PT so she is only in a diaper when we go out and at naptime/bedtime ... still using the FB.

She is now again getting a rash it seems ... but this time only on her butt area ... its red and bumpy and there are even a few scab areas (maybe she scratched cuz it itched?)

I just don't get it! Is it they are not getting clean? Need to be stripped (how?) need a diff. detg?

I really want this to work, not so much for her now since we are PT, but when we have another baby I want to CD from the get go ... and my hubby us getting frustrated since our DD is getting this rash ... he says he doesnt care if we CD as long as we can make it work and not have problems ...

Any help is appreciated! Thanks

Advertisement

Old 01-18-2007, 06:52 AM   #2
mmskids
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Some help please ... rash from CD's?

Sounds like my DD. Question, does she get the same rash from undies or at least get red? If so, detergent allergy. If not, maybe allergic to fleece.

detergent allergy:
My DD can't use anything but tide free. I have to wash her stuff separately. When she was in CDs, I found I had to wash them and rinse at least 3 times to keep her free from rash.

I would recommend stripping the diapers. I found RLR to work the best especially with her sensitive skin. I like to fill 3/4 of the way with hot water and then add the rest with "boiling hot water" (from the stove). I leave it go for a few minutes and then stop and let soak until I can put my hand to the bottom of the tub. (~20-30 minutes). Then I start it up and rinse until clear.

Don't use vinegar or tea tree oil.

Fleece allergy:
I would try another brand of diaper. I wouldn't get more than one or two though.
mmskids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 08:55 AM   #3
gray2402
Registered Users

Thank you for the tips! I guess I am not going to worry about it with her then right now, since we are PT ... Maybe it is a fleece allergy ... huh never thought of that! When/if baby #2 comes along, we will see what happens... but I refuse to give up! I really enjoy CDing!

BTW, what is RLR?
Old 01-18-2007, 01:14 PM   #4
mmskids
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

RLR

There are other ways of stripping but I haven't found one that works as well. Some walmarts carry it in their laundry area.
mmskids is offline   Reply With Quote