Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-26-2017, 02:41 PM   #1
MommyLJ
Registered Users

Location: I travel around for work, mostly in Mexico and the US.
My Mood:
Cold water wash?

I'm looking for tips for a unique situation. My family travels a lot overseas, and sometimes we stay for weeks at a time where washers are hooked up to only cold water. We use flats and covers, and I would like to avoid hand washing unless absolutely necessary (I already have to hand wash when we are in rural areas without a washer).

Are there certain detergents that would be better for cold water? Any suggested wash routine? Does anyone have any experience to share?

One idea, I suppose if necessary I could heat a pot on the stove and dump that in the machine...

Advertisement

MommyLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 03:23 PM   #2
MamaLlama
Registered Users

Re: Cold water wash?

I don't know...have you checked Fluff Love? They have info about different washing routines, they might have one for cold water. My only suggestion is to use liquid detergent. My cheap powder detergent doesn't dissolve in cold water, I have to run hot water in with the detergent even with a cold wash or I end up with soap granules all over my laundry.
Old 09-26-2017, 05:11 PM   #3
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

Tide used to make a cold water formula. I've never used it so not sure how effective it is.

Since you are using flats they will be much easier to clean than most. I would try a regular wash first to see how they look and smell, but if it isn't working I would probably dump hot water into the washer. It would be a pain but better than handwashing IMO.

Also you have made me quite curious about your situation, lol.
jen_batten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 09:48 PM   #4
MommyLJ
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen_batten View Post

Also you have made me quite curious about your situation, lol.
We travel for work into rural Mexico, where hot water usage is often minimal due to the cost of gas water heaters, and in some areas hand washing is the norm.
Old 09-27-2017, 08:04 AM   #5
Agla
Super Admin We can do it!
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

The pot of hot water sounds like a good idea.

I'm going to ask a friend how she did this when homesteading. She won't be around until the end of the week though.
Old 09-27-2017, 09:05 AM   #6
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

You are using flats! that would be the first suggestion. Have you had any issue washing in cold water yet? I'd say just try and and see how it goes, maybe at home before the travel. you may fine it washes just fine. If worried about killing germs, hang in the sun or use bleach.
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010 (Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months; Nightime PL at 5.5 years) & LO#2 born 12/1/2013 (First diaper was cloth! Part-time EC since 12 months & Daytime PL at 26 months) Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on how long a cloth diaper REALLY lasts. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here & here. How to Wash Wool & Sanitize Wool. Everything must go! 2T Nght Fitted Trainer, XL Wool Soaker, Baby Wearing
Pixi6s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 10:41 AM   #7
MommyLJ
Registered Users

My Mood:

I know there are people who CD on camping trips and wash by hand...wondering if they always have to heat water or if they can get by with cold.

We've managed 7 months of CD without major issues so far, including using coin-op washers for a while. Now the real fun begins. We work for a non-profit, thus the crazy travel lifestyle, so I knew this was coming, and I'm so glad that thanks to advice I got on here months ago we are using exclusively flats!! The diapers have already been washed in different machines in at least 8 different places!

I'm not exactly looking forward to hand washing on the "village" portion of upcoming trips either, but the choices are to either use disposables and burn them (!!!) or save the dirty diapers to carry out with us after a week or two, since there's no trash service...so cloth seems like the clear logical option!
Old 09-27-2017, 10:47 AM   #8
MommyLJ
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixi6s View Post
You are using flats! that would be the first suggestion. Have you had any issue washing in cold water yet? I'd say just try and and see how it goes, maybe at home before the travel. you may fine it washes just fine. If worried about killing germs, hang in the sun or use bleach.
Yes, we use exclusively flats, thankfully. I think I will try it and see how it goes, and still wash hot whenever I can, obviously. We will def be hang drying, so hopefully that helps! If I run into issues, then I'll think about heating up water separately. I wonder how my great-grandmother did it...
Old 09-27-2017, 10:56 AM   #9
MamaLlama
Registered Users

I wonder how the locals do it where you are going?
Old 09-27-2017, 11:38 AM   #10
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

Disposables do not burn well at all. <<Spoken from experience.

It might be a good idea to take a look at elimination communication if you haven't already. We used it pretty successfully with a couple of ours.
jen_batten is offline   Reply With Quote