Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-22-2017, 08:25 PM   #1
mommyegon
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Wean from pacifier by 4 months? Naps/bed routine question

Hi there!

My son uses the pacifier to fall asleep at naps and bedtime. He is almost 12 weeks old.

My routine for naps/bedtime is take to darkened room, swaddle, sing the same song, hold while swaying gently and give him the pacifier... when his eyes start to droop I lay him in his bassinet and hang out for a few minutes if he needs to be rocked a bit in the bassinet (it is one of those bassinets that you can gently tap with a finer to rock).

If he isn't over tired it only takes a about 10 minutes! If he is over tired it can take an extra 10-15 min to settle him. I nurse him when he wakes up which he seems to prefer. We have been doing this routine for the last six weeks.

So he uses the pacifier pretty heavily right now to go to fall asleep. And I am reading that lots of people have problems with baby after four months waking up and wanting the pacifier put back in their mouths... Should I try to wean him off before he is four months old?

Did you have issues with baby waking up screaming for paci?? Would you try to wean before 4-5 months?

I feel like once he weans from paci and swaddle... that I am left with needing a whole new sleep routine. Bath, massage, pjs, song, cuddle, sleep ... maybe?

Interested to hear your experiences! Thanks in advance!

Advertisement

Old 05-22-2017, 09:01 PM   #2
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Wean from pacifier by 4 months? Naps/bed routine question

If you take the pacifier away now he may suck thumbs/fingers which is harder to break later. But you don't have to put it in, so it's a trade off.

Only one of mine attached to the pacifier. He never needed it put in at night but I know that is a problem for some.

Personally it sounds like you have a solid routine going so I wouldn't mess with it unless he develops issues.
jen_batten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 10:35 AM   #3
MamaChirpy
Registered Users
seller

I wouldn't disturb his routine right now if it's working for him. The paci hasn't ever been a big deal for us. Two of mine loved it and two of mine didn't take one.

If you are able to put him down without him being fully asleep, I would say you are a rockstar and keep that up!!!!!!

If it still worries you, maybe delay giving him the paci a little at a time? Like only give it to him if he cries for it? Just a thought.
MamaChirpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 09:37 PM   #4
Elchorrito
Registered Users
seller

My babe quit wanting the Pacific at around 12 weeks, but I wouldn't count on that. Plus, we've had to develop a new sleep routine like 4 times since then, so I'd say if you have something working dont mess with it. For a while he wanted rocked, then he didn't. Then I could just lay him down and leave and then he started screaming when I did that. Now we read so.e books,rock a while, then I lay him down and he screams a while. I wouldn't mess with what is working it isn't worth it
Elchorrito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 11:24 AM   #5
Suitik
Registered Users

We are lucky in this respect - both children spit out a dummy
Suitik is offline   Reply With Quote