Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-25-2017, 11:09 AM   #1
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Any Ponytail tips? I swear I give DD horrible ponytails

DD is almost 4, even when she is patient and lets me do her hair fully without issue the flat area always has pumps... mostly with the ponytail but with other hair styles I try as well.

She doesn't have easy hair, she has cowlicks and her hair lays naturally very oddly. if I want to go with her natural part (with pigtails lets say) it seems to be a straight diagonal across her head.

I don't do much with my hair but when I do a pony it generally is bump free...

Any suggestions?

Advertisement

Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010 (Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months; Nightime PL at 5.5 years) & LO#2 born 12/1/2013 (First diaper was cloth! Part-time EC since 12 months & Daytime PL at 26 months) Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on how long a cloth diaper REALLY lasts. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here & here. How to Wash Wool & Sanitize Wool. Everything must go! 2T Nght Fitted Trainer, XL Wool Soaker, Baby Wearing

Last edited by Pixi6s; 09-25-2017 at 12:09 PM.
Pixi6s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 11:12 AM   #2
MamaLlama
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Any Ponytail tips? I swear I gift DD horrible ponytails

Spray it with water and use a hairbrush to pull it back? That's probably what you're doing already I'm not an expert at all but I get my neatest ponytails when I do that.
Old 09-25-2017, 11:50 AM   #3
Agla
Super Admin We can do it!
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRXB View Post
Spray it with water and use a hairbrush to pull it back? That's probably what you're doing already I'm not an expert at all but I get my neatest ponytails when I do that.
Damp definitely worked better for us.

Do you part it damp with the edge of the comb? It's like drawing a quick line with a pencil but you draw it with the corner of the comb.

Last edited by Agla; 09-25-2017 at 12:11 PM.
Agla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 11:57 AM   #4
mykidsaremyheart
Registered Users
seller

With 5 girls.... we use Garnier Fructis leave in conditioner. I get the hair damp first, then rub a small amount in my palms, then into the hair before brushing. It helps keep everything in place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-25-2017, 12:03 PM   #5
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

My hair was like that growing up, and my girls have the same problem. The more we put it back, the better it got. Also, I have to use a comb for them. I cannot use a brush and have it come out smooth.
tallanvor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 12:18 PM   #6
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

No I don't wet it. I just brush/comb it then put the elastic in. I feel like I get better results with the brush than the comb.

I can try wetting it but I'm sure DD is going to balk at that change! I no-poo so I have her using "con-only", just used conditioner once or twice a week - we did nothing for a long time but condition does help. You say "spray it" so are you using a small spray bottle to wet?

Her hair is thin, but not super fine or anything. The cow licks she gets from her father.

I do part with a comb, do you part for a ponytail for some reason or just pigtails? When I try and part her hair, I can make a line down the center but it is not happy, her hair rebels just like she does. The only straight part it seems to like it way on one side and I don't really like that look, it puts a lot of hair on one side.

Thanks! My mom used to always do my hair very nice, but other than braiding on occasion I never did anyone's hair - nor did I really do my own because of my mom. I'm a bit lost. I come up with other hair styles to try but looking at the other little girls around, because she does need a little something daily to keep it out of her face.
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010 (Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months; Nightime PL at 5.5 years) & LO#2 born 12/1/2013 (First diaper was cloth! Part-time EC since 12 months & Daytime PL at 26 months) Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on how long a cloth diaper REALLY lasts. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here & here. How to Wash Wool & Sanitize Wool. Everything must go! 2T Nght Fitted Trainer, XL Wool Soaker, Baby Wearing
Pixi6s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 01:03 PM   #7
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

We use a spray bottle to wet and brush it back.

If you need ideas for hairstyles we have wondered upon cute things at cutegirlhairstyles.com .....ok, actually my aunt wondered on them because she cares about it more than me, but then I stole the ideas from her.
jen_batten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 01:28 PM   #8
Elchorrito
Registered Users
seller

Re: Any Ponytail tips? I swear I give DD horrible ponytails

YouTube has some nice videos too you can see how they use spray bottles and Combs and then modify for what works for you. Most people I know with little girls keep a spray bottle in their hair supplies
Elchorrito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 02:06 PM   #9
Agla
Super Admin We can do it!
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Any Ponytail tips? I swear I give DD horrible ponytails

Try working with what she has going on. Maybe a zig zag part. That looks so cute on little girls. Maybe two smaller twists into two pigtails.