Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-01-2016, 02:59 PM   #1
proudsahmof4
Registered Users
Formerly: proudsahmof3
seller

My Mood:
Really overwhelmed and not motivated. How to get going?

Background first: DH started a new job in April. It was a significant change for him and our family. He went from a first-shift desk job (human resources) to a third-shift physical labor position in a different company. He goes in to work anywhere between 6-8 pm and usually works until about 5 am. He comes home and sleeps and gets up around 2 or 3pm. His days off are Sunday and Monday nights (which basically translates to only Monday because he sleeps Sunday and then has to go to work again on Tuesday).

I am feeling totally overwhelmed. Because of the hours he is working I am having to do all the meals, kids' activities, therapies (2 with SPD/speech issues) etc. by myself (whereas before he was getting off work at 5 pm and could also do stuff). My mom recently moved about an hour away (she was my backup for child care). I am feeling very lonely and lost. We are slowly getting in to a better routine, but it is hard. I know I need to get school stuff together, but I am just not able to get myself going on this. I wanted to start this week, but we are definitely not ready.

Does anybody have any suggestions for getting myself motivated? I will sit at my desk with intentions of working on school, and then before I know it I am immersed in some other thing. The school room is constantly a mess so it is not a peaceful place to work, but if I clean it up then I've used that time I could have been working on school, and so on.

Advertisement

Old 08-01-2016, 03:07 PM   #2
missydawn
Administrator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Re: Really overwhelmed and not motivated. How to get going?

I would start with saying this is the week to organize the house. My dh went from gone all the time with the military to gone a lot with this job so anything that needs done falls to me. I know that my motivation is at the worst when the house is a mess. I can never seem to be in a good groove with stuff if things are a mess. So the first thing I would do is give yourself the week to organize and straighten up you house and get things like laundry all done up. Then start next Monday on planning like school and meals. When all of that is done I am sure you will feel like you can handle it all.
Homeschool Buyer CO-OP = Great Homeschool Deals
missydawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 05:41 PM   #3
karlitacat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I hear you. I'm not in the exact same situation, but my husband works 24-hour shifts then is busy on his days and nights "off." I'm almost 9mos pregnant with high-risk baby #4, doctor told me I'm gaining too much weight so I need to cut out certain foods (convenient ones, of course - bread, pasta, etc.), baby is due right around when I will be starting homeschool... I'm feeling so stressed and pressured!

I feel it best to start with baby steps. If my home is organized I feel better, then I slowly get the school stuff organized, make lists of my plans/ideas. I made some goals for the year, printed out a schedule for the day, and am going subject by subject figuring out what I want to do. I'm slowly getting there! Since I've at least started, I feel much better.
karlitacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 06:51 PM   #4
Agla
Super Admin We can do it!
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Homeschoolers not having times when they feel overwhelmed is unheard of. We all have these spells and need to just get through.

I'm currently in homeschool upheaval. I'm stressed and I'm not feeling well. The only thing that has helped the situation is that for the most part everything was organized.

Like others have said take the time to get organized and it won't feel as overwhelming. I might even switch to paper plates and basic menu for a week just so I have less dishes while I get all the rest up to speed.
Old 08-02-2016, 10:47 AM   #5
proudsahmof4
Registered Users
Formerly: proudsahmof3
seller

My Mood:

All good advice, guys. Thanks! I'm going to set some goals that are attainable and see where I can get. Today I am going to commit to cleaning the school room and entering the towering stack of books into our library spreadsheet and then shelving them.

I also had a homeschooling friend reach out to me about getting together with our kids this Friday so I'm looking forward to that.
Old 08-02-2016, 11:06 AM   #6
Agla
Super Admin We can do it!
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by proudsahmof4 View Post
All good advice, guys. Thanks! I'm going to set some goals that are attainable and see where I can get. Today I am going to commit to cleaning the school room and entering the towering stack of books into our library spreadsheet and then shelving them.

I also had a homeschooling friend reach out to me about getting together with our kids this Friday so I'm looking forward to that.
I'm glad you are feeling better about it.