Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-16-2016, 07:54 PM   #1
cedavid2011
Registered Users
seller

Anyone here do Classical Conversations?

I have been homeschooling for 6 years, but am brand new to the classical method. I visited our local CC campus, which just started this past school year. I love the idea of it and need the schedule and accountability, and I know most of the other families that are using it. But the cost! I have 7 children, 6 of whom are old enough to be registered. Is it worth the price? Benefits/drawbacks? Any suggestions for doing it on my own?

Advertisement

Old 04-17-2016, 07:39 PM   #2
AZmommy
Registered Users
seller

Re: Anyone here do Classical Conversations?

My kids were briefly involved with Catholic schoolhouse which is modeled after Classical conversations but Catholic based. While I wanted it to work for us it just didn't. My oldest hated it it was such a struggle to get her to complete the requirements for CSH that her other studies greatly suffered. Plus it made our days drag on endlessly. My younger loved it but it was either too easy and kind of a waste or too much as they seem to insist on trying to teach things way beyond what she was capable of. (it assumed a wider age range but in my DD class it was just her at 5 and the directors little girl who just turned 3 and technically too young for either. So too me it was a waste of time trying to say explain square roots.
Both girls benefited from being around others and too a point having to listen to another teacher for a bit. Overall though for us the cons far out weighed the pros and it was not worth the price. I pulled my oldest from the program after Christmas and intended to have my youngest finish the year. However we haven't been since before spring break and are enjoying our weeks much more.

Deanna mom to Cecilia 10-26-02 and Margaret 3-8-10
AZmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 10:41 PM   #3
vkier
Registered Users
seller

My 10-year-old was enrolled in CC the last 5 years. This year we are taking a year off. It was helpful for us, since we were unsure how to begin homeschooling. At this point, perhaps even after the second year, I think we could've done it at home by ourselves, but there are some aspects which I really appreciated (and will miss this year as we stay home and have no other options for homeschool groups as organized and consistent as CC): art/music, science experiments, opportunities for weekly presentations. Essentials in the afternoons was helpful for writing (and accountability with grammar memorization.

The cost has always been something I've struggled with. It was tough with one child; I can't imagine multiples, but I know people who make it work (tutoring classes) because they believe in the accountability and helpfulness. Looking back, I appreciate the support but believe at this point that one day we would miss for CC might be better spent keeping a groove going at home.

PM me if you still have concerns or questions!
vkier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 08:44 PM   #4
oneproudmommy
Registered Users
seller

Briefly, but it wasn't for us. Because of the way the curricula is set up I couldn't keep my kids interested. It follows a certain progression that didn't fit for my son. He's extremely bright and loves diving very deep into subjects that he's interested in and the progression of cc didn't really allow him to do that since you need to follow along with the class. I have many friends who love it though!
oneproudmommy is offline   Reply With Quote