Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2017, 01:51 AM   #11
gheera47's Avatar
gheera47
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 328
Re: Is there a cost analysis thread?

It was costing me $80 a month to diaper two kids, buying from Sam's Club. That might be cheaper then the grocery store but $80 is still alot of money.

In addition, we take our trash to the dump ourselves. We were filling a kitchen trash bag in less than a week. 3 bags or so fit in trash can. It costs us $14-$20 to dump 6 trash cans. It would be easy to say that 2 out of the 6 trash cans were just diapers, costing about $3.33 per can or $6.66 for two. Filling up the trash cans that much quicker also meant that my DH had to GO to the dump more often costing fuel and time.

Disposables are definitely more convenient but easily $1,000 a year.

Advertisement


Last edited by gheera47; 11-11-2017 at 01:53 AM.
gheera47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 12:18 PM   #12
gheera47's Avatar
gheera47
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 328
Re: Is there a cost analysis thread?

I did some web browsing at Sam's Club, Walmart and Safeway. All the prices were what was available in-store for pickup. These stores always have something on sale, so I just looked at highs and lows.

The bulk Sam's Club packs claim to be a months worth of diapers, but each brand ranged from 186-240 count in a size 3. That's what my LO is wearing right now. Averaged by 30 days it comes to about 7 diapers a day, or 210 diapers a month.

Then I took the cost of diapers from the 3 different stores, big packages, small packages. The cheapest was .14 per diaper to .40 per diaper. I only included​ store​ brands, Huggies, Pampers, and Luvs for simplicity.

Huggies 34 count was $8.99, .26 ea
Safeway's Mom to Mom 34 count $7.89, .23 ea. So, $48.30-$54.60 a month.

There was a Huggies at Safeway that was .40 ea. $84.00 a month.

Sam's club had Huggies 240 count $33.98, .14 ea.
Luvs 186 count for $26.48, also .14 ea. $29.40

So diapers ranging from .14 -.40 ea. $29.40-$84.00 a month, $352.80-$1,008 a year. Wow! Big difference!

Last edited by gheera47; 11-11-2017 at 01:37 PM.
gheera47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 01:14 PM   #13
Elchorrito
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 1,076
Re: Is there a cost analysis thread?

You might benefit from reading this: https://m.babygearlab.com/topics/dia...t-cloth-diaper
They don't have everything itemized but do have a cost summary and some comparison data
Elchorrito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 01:35 PM   #14
jen_batten's Avatar
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 10,820
Re: Is there a cost analysis thread?

We use disposables for certain occasions and I can get the best prices by a long shot at Amazon. I use coupons, subscribe and save (but then cancel) and percent off coupons and have got the 'better' brand diapers as low as 8 each for size three.

One thing to keep in mind when you are looking is ease of use. You would probably have to find someone pretty committed to use fastened flour sack towels with dappi covers. Yes they are cheap. Yes they work. But they at not easy or convenient. Especially when compared to disposables. I think you need to have wrap type covers in your sets or people will have the 'rubber pant' mind set you were talking about. It also makes it possible to pad fold, which is quicker and easier than fastening the diaper on.
jen_batten is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 02:00 PM   #15
gheera47's Avatar
gheera47
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 328
Re: Is there a cost analysis thread?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen_batten View Post
We use disposables for certain occasions and I can get the best prices by a long shot at Amazon. I use coupons, subscribe and save (but then cancel) and percent off coupons and have got the 'better' brand diapers as low as 8 each for size three.

One thing to keep in mind when you are looking is ease of use. You would probably have to find someone pretty committed to use fastened flour sack towels with dappi covers. Yes they are cheap. Yes they work. But they at not easy or convenient. Especially when compared to disposables. I think you need to have wrap type covers in your sets or people will have the 'rubber pant' mind set you were talking about. It also makes it possible to pad fold, which is quicker and easier than fastening the diaper on.
We use disposables as well. My mother works for Safeway and buys them 50-90% off the clearance rack. I have done Amazon's subscribe and save also getting about .07 a diaper.

I see FST as the beans and rice of cloth diapers. They are cheap, they'll get you by, but you might not like it.

All my kits are Snap or Hook & Loop covers with prefolds or inserts. I definitely agree with ease of use. It's just an experiment in what is "possible" even if it's not "likely".

I've done very similar cost analysis with a food budget. We "could" get by on $25 a week for 5, it would be tons of work, we wouldn't like it, but it would cover the food pyramid and calorie needs. Instead we spend between $75-$100 a week on average. Sometimes it's just good to know what you "can" do if you had to.
gheera47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 02:14 PM   #16
gheera47's Avatar
gheera47
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 328
Re: Is there a cost analysis thread?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elchorrito View Post
You might benefit from reading this: https://m.babygearlab.com/topics/dia...t-cloth-diaper
They don't have everything itemized but do have a cost summary and some comparison data
Thank you, that was good reading. I was glad to see "Flip is both our second highest scoring competitor AND the best option for those on a budget.*". I could get behind recommending that one, especially if one was able to purchase the "seconds" at $8.95 ea. The elastics are really easy to replace.
gheera47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 03:20 PM   #17
Elchorrito
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 1,076
Re: Is there a cost analysis thread?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gheera47 View Post
Thank you, that was good reading. I was glad to see "Flip is both our second highest scoring competitor AND the best option for those on a budget.*". I could get behind recommending that one, especially if one was able to purchase the "seconds" at $8.95 ea. The elastics are really easy to replace.
Also, as far as I can tell, seconds are usually perfectly usable and rarely have defects that would affect their utility. Cotton babies usually has good sales for Black Friday and Earth Day as well, if people can wait for them. Last year I got flips for $9.95 on Black Friday and they weren't seconds and they were in fun colors that aren't normally available. I have gotten flip inserts on the target clearance rack for a super good price as well. I think if people order online and return to store they just get put on clearance.
Elchorrito is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2005 - 2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.