Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-05-2017, 05:38 PM   #1
gheera47
Registered Users

Best budget friendly night time diaper

I tried to use cloth on my last baby at night, but it didn't go well. I used gDiapers at 1st and he ended up with a big red ring from the liner. We tried Bumgenis but he'd leak. We didn't try much of anything else. So we just used disposables at night.

Now with​ my little girl, she can poop through any brand of disposable diaper. I am so sick of washing poopy clothes. Poopy diapers are one thing but I hate poopy clothes.

Our cloth diapers and covers seem to hold it in 9 out of 10 versus 2 out of 10.

My little girl is 6 months old and only occasionally wakes at night. I don't change diapers at night and we've had no "wet" problems.

However, I've woken up to the sound of gas powered poo one too many times now. I lay there thinking "oh great, now I get to wash EVERYTHING!". Clothes, sleep sack, sheet, and mattress pad. Yuck!

I don't think she is a heavy wetter. The only wet leaks we get are compression or because I was lame and didn't make sure the cover was "covering" the insert or prefold.

I'm looking for a budget friendly night time diaper. Once I get an idea of what everyone likes I'll try to find some used.

Advertisement

gheera47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 05:49 PM   #2
kmrotski
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Best budget friendly night time diaper

I don't really have any advice considering I just switched to disposables at night for my toddler because nothing was holding him over night. The biggest reccomendation that was made to me was Motherease Airflow covers. I never tried one because for cheaper I could buy a pack of disposables and be done with it.

My actual advice though, is for now while she is in disposables put a cover over her disposable. So at least if she poops out of the disposable the cover will catch it.
kmrotski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 06:10 PM   #3
gheera47
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmrotski View Post
I don't really have any advice considering I just switched to disposables at night for my toddler because nothing was holding him over night. The biggest reccomendation that was made to me was Motherease Airflow covers. I never tried one because for cheaper I could buy a pack of disposables and be done with it.

My actual advice though, is for now while she is in disposables put a cover over her disposable. So at least if she poops out of the disposable the cover will catch it.
Lol! I feel so dumb! I never thought of that! That's pretty budget friendly.

Last edited by gheera47; 11-05-2017 at 06:11 PM.
Old 11-05-2017, 06:13 PM   #4
kmrotski
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gheera47 View Post
Lol! I feel so dumb! I never thought of that! That's pretty budget friendly.
Don't feel dumb! Someone recommended it to me too!
kmrotski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 12:57 PM   #5
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

What does your LO use during the day? Neither of my kids were explosive poopers so I can't speak to that.

With my son (standard wetter) we used BG pockets with the MF insert and a hemp insert behind it (like a joey bunz). The big idea 8 years ago was MF soaks up fast and hold what it holds, but the hemp holds urine back and prevent compression leaks. It worked well for us.

DD started in a the same combo but she had sensitivities and needed to wear wool at night. That led us to sandys fitteds - they are good at holding poo and inexpensive for a fitted (you can use with a PUL cover as well). She also needed stay dry so in the sandys we had a sweet iris hemp/bamboo/suedecloth insert and I think we had a second doubler between it and the fitted but I don't recall what it was. I like sandys alot but didn't feel like they had enough absorbancy in the wetzone for wool users without a doubler. If using with pul it may work without a doubler but I might still suggest one, but overall not an expensive option for overnight.

Still my biggest suggestion would be to add something to what you use during the day . Have you checked out the absorbancy sticky? understanding the absorbancy of everything you current use can help figure out what to increase to. Also the best cost wise because you have most of what you need.
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010 (Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months; Nightime PL at 5.5 years) & LO#2 born 12/1/2013 (First diaper was cloth! Part-time EC since 12 months & Daytime PL at 26 months) Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on how long a cloth diaper REALLY lasts. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here & here. How to Wash Wool & Sanitize Wool. Everything must go! 2T Nght Fitted Trainer, Baby Wearing
Pixi6s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 01:51 PM   #6
gheera47
Registered Users

Good suggestion to look at the absorbency thread. I will look through that.

We have the basics. Cheap pockets, some Thirsties covers. Indian cotton prefolds, bamboo inserts, some gDiaper inserts. I think they are microfleece? We've got microfiber inserts but don't use them.

I guess I could just play around with combinations.
Old 11-07-2017, 09:28 AM   #7
gheera47
Registered Users

So this morning I took of both the 6 month old's and 3.5 year old's disposable diapers​ off and weighted them. They were only 5 oz and 6 oz! They had been in them from 9 pm to 6 am. That's 9 hours. I guess I don't need anything crazy absorbent for night time diapers.
Old 11-07-2017, 10:46 AM   #8
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I would take a pocket you have a maybe try the prefold with a bamboo insert (if not too thick). Otherwise maybe a cover with the prefold and the gDiaper insert on top. - I prefer to provide stay dry for nighttime personally.

Keep in mind that the absorbency thread diapers are absolutely saturated, so you may need more than 6oz of absorbency overall - though 10-12oz maybe enough which is generally just a prefold...
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010 (Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months; Nightime PL at 5.5 years) & LO#2 born 12/1/2013 (First diaper was cloth! Part-time EC since 12 months & Daytime PL at 26 months) Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on how long a cloth diaper REALLY lasts. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here & here. How to Wash Wool & Sanitize Wool. Everything must go! 2T Nght Fitted Trainer, Baby Wearing

Last edited by Pixi6s; 11-07-2017 at 10:48 AM.
Pixi6s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 10:53 AM   #9
MamaLlama
Registered Users
seller
seller

We did prefolds and covers day and night for a long time. That was fine except sometimes we had issues with rashes from wet diapers under PUL covers. Right now we're using mother-ease sandies fitteds (with a preemie prefold doubler) under wool, and that works really well. The sandies really are great at holding everything in. I think there are some for sale on here for pretty cheap too. Proraps PUL covers are what we used for years (over prefolds) and they are amazing at holding in poo explosions, plus they're cheap. I think diaper + cover combos are generally better at holding in messes than pockets, so I would go with either prefolds + covers or fitteds + covers. Good luck!
Old 11-11-2017, 09:02 AM   #10
jahid
Banned

Post Re: Best budget friendly night time diaper

Last edited by Agla; 11-13-2017 at 11:33 AM.
jahid is offline   Reply With Quote