Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-13-2014, 10:07 AM   #11
justineybean
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhianna'sMommy
But there is one boy who didn't even know his letters 2 months into school yet and was already hopelessly behind the other kids who were up to 15 sight words (I think) and reading simple books. He couldn't sound out words because he didn't know his letters. I have talked with several teachers that say he just isn't ready to learn that stuff maturity-wise and by the time he is he'll be so far behind that he'll probably never get caught up. It is a horrible cycle for those kids because there is a good chance when their brain is ready that they have huge potential but are too far behind to show it.
This makes me sad because I think given the space and time to mature and develop this child you're describing (and so many other kids like him-- including maybe my own child) would probably easily be able to "show his potential." I'm not saying some kids wouldn't still struggle but I think if reading was taught at a more developmentally appropriate time then more kids could be successful from the beginning and learn to love school! I don't think it puts others who may be ready early at a disadvantage because they could still learn concepts through play and games and having fun like you mentioned later in your post.

ETA-- My child is learning to read in kindergarten just fine but it's hard and not much fun and I think it is going to affect his love for learning as he grows. Also he struggles a lot with comprehension and social skills which affects his understanding of what he reads because he has ASD... but I think many children could benefit from more focus on social skills learning in kindergarten.

Last edited by justineybean; 02-13-2014 at 10:10 AM.
justineybean is offline   Reply With Quote