Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-10-2007, 10:00 PM   #1
beenwaitingalongtime
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Our first blistered rash. Few questions for you... MORE QUESTIONS NOW!

DD's bum was pink all over yesterday and now today, it's very red along her cootchie and the inside of her thighs--right where the poo sits, it seems. Tonight, despite the nanny giving her 2 sitz baths w/ salt water, letting her air out (and pee on our rug twice ) and switching over to a zinc-based cream, she's developed two little blisters
I'm guessing this must be food-related. WDYT?
If so, I've introduced asparagus and mango to her (well, she's eaten mango before, but not this much.) DH THINKS he gave her a jar of cereal w/ blueberries in it (despite me telling him we were going to hold off on berries for a while longe) but is not sure. We tried almond milk w/ her but 2 sips into it, she hated it.
Any of these possible suspects?
Any other solutions to get rid of the blisters? They're just barely raw skin--only noticeable that it's raw if you look carefully.

NEW QUESTIONS
Well, the one raw spot remains, and there's a ring of red around her anus (makes me think food allergy) but now, it looks like a cat attacked her butt--she's got 1" red scratches all over it. She never sat down while I let her go nekki, so she didn't scratch her butt on the fireplace stone, her nails are trim so she didn't scratch herself...WTH are they?

Advertisement

Last edited by beenwaitingalongtime; 05-14-2007 at 12:55 PM.
beenwaitingalongtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 10:02 PM   #2
kht2006
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Our first blistered rash. Few questions for you...

Aquaphor is good for open rashes.....so sorry mama.
kht2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 10:07 PM   #3
EmnJJsMom
Registered Users
seller

Blisters generally mean a bacterial infection. You may want to get her tested for strep or staph. If she tests positive for either of those they would give you an antibacterial ointment to put on her tush twice a day. My dd had staph about 8 months ago, and I did EVERYTHING to try to get it to go away on it's own (before I knew it was staph) and nothing I did helped.

Keep doing what you're doing, take her in if it doesnt improve. Try an elimination diet if it is persistant.
EmnJJsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 11:51 PM   #4
beenwaitingalongtime
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks--I'll keep an eye. I'll look for Aquaphor, too.
Anyone know if those foods can cause a rash?
Old 05-11-2007, 12:05 AM   #5
3rockstars
Registered Users
Formerly: FaeryGnomeHome
seller

To me, that says yeast. My daughter used to get HORRIBLE rashes with open sores that were red at first and then bubbly blistery and then turned into giant open sores. This happened a year ago when she was in daycare and the provider didn't change her right away and the normal yeast in your GI tract sat on her skin in the poop and ate it away. She STILL has scars a year later. It was horrible. Some probiotics, aquaphor and tto cleared it right up along with nakey time and breathable diapers. Best of luck!
Old 05-11-2007, 06:07 AM   #6
jls~Kain~Drake
Registered Users

My Mood:

My boys get that kind of rash (open sores/blisters). For them, it's an acidity burn - from food. Biggest culprits are fruits. Fruits that have a lot of citric acid. Pineapple is a huge no-no here...the reaction is INSTANTANEOUS (with poop). We've only done mangos 1 time, so I'm not sure about that one...but grapes will do it..lots of fruit for us. Normal wipes and diaper rash creams were awful. The kids would scream and scream. I didn't realize it at the time, but the wipes have alcohol in them - of course the kids were screaming! Anyway, the doctors told me to use cetaphil - waterless cleanser (or lotion). We use that - in generous portions - with a wash cloth (to spread/wipe away) and purposefully leaving a bit of (clean) residue. We also use beaudreaux's butt paste.

Last edited by jls~Kain~Drake; 05-11-2007 at 06:10 AM.
jls~Kain~Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 07:20 AM   #7
Mommyof2boys
Banned
seller

Not to hijack your thread, but I was wondering this too...DS is 2 1/2, and has had diarrhea now for 2 weeks! No diet change except less apples and other fiber stuff, nothing...not a fever, just every now and then complains with a sore tummy. He still eats and drinks fine...

But his butt is RED and RAW and peeling!! I've tried Desitin Creamy *he's allergic to balmex, afraid to try many others*, cornstarch poweder, zinc oxide/talc powder, resinol *a burn cream that usually does wonders*, tinactin *at the sugguestion of a pharmacist who thinks its yeast*, and everything in between.

He also screams at diaper changes, and I have LUCKILY found some alcohol free baby wipes *sorry, don't want to do cloth with diarrhea *

We use sposies with him, pretty well always have, especially lately since we WERE potty training....

What should I do? We are waiting on an appt with a gastrologist Pedi, but it's not till next Thursday!!
Mommyof2boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 07:35 AM   #8
yellowcampcat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My 2.5 yo had 2-3 little blister/sores a few months ago. I took her to the dr. and she said to put barrier cream, and if it didn't go away, she prescribed oral antibiotics. I held off on the abx since she's never been on them, and I didn't want to start for a little rash. It cleared up on it's own in a few days with a lot of air and barrier cream. I also put a little alcohol on it and neosporin occasionally. I think it was just a contact dermatitis from acidic poo.
yellowcampcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 07:50 AM   #9
clothdiapermom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My younger DD (5 weeks old) just had quite a rash despite frequent changes. I did 48 hours of literally no diapers fastened on her and just put her on prefolds and wiped up any poop immediately and after 2 days and not much improvement I went to my breastfeeding group and some one recommended "Triple Paste" so I went and got some Wed Morning within 24 hours I saw a HUGE improvement and now today you can't even tell she ever had a rash! I don't think it is cd friendly so I used fleece liners and prefolds. It is expensive stuff but it was 100% worth thr price. I paid $20 for a little tub of it. We will be going back to our bumgenius now that it is all cleared up.

Triple paste
Meg, Mom to DD#1 6/04 DD#2 4/07
(all of my items come from a non smoking, pet friendly home)
clothdiapermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 07:55 AM   #10
Shadowwolf549
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My dd had a similar problem recently. For her, it was an allergic reaction to the laundry detergent we were using on her dipes (super washing soda). It reacted with her pee and did a number on her diaper area! We stopped using it and changed her very frequently and spread her pretty thick with a special dipe cream that we had made (aquaphor, desitin, nystatin, water). Thank goodness for liners! I love that ointment!!! It works on almost everything! HTH and hope you LO if feeling better soon.
Angie Luckiest Lady in the world. Married to SAHD Justin , Mama to Jaden 10/10/03 and triplets Jeremiah , Jaren , Giavanna 09/15/05 and Gabrielle 08/12/13. We are one big, happy, Jesus loving family!!
Shadowwolf549 is offline   Reply With Quote