Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-13-2007, 04:37 PM   #1
bubblesteach
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Angry Need advice, DD won't eat.

DD is almost 16months is 30 inches and weighs 24 pounds. As far as growing she seems to be doing well. The prob. we are having is that she won't eat hardly anything. Everyone keeps telling me that she'll eat when she's hungry but she's not. Instead she cries most of the night. In the back of my mind I keep thinking she's starving. In the morning we give her oatmeal and she eats that. Then she pretty much refuses to even open her mouth to anything else except cheerios and goldfish. She does like fish sticks and hotdogs and occassonaly mac & cheese. It's really hard for me in good concious to feed her nothing but fish sticks and hotdogs. I want her to eat healthy. Is this normal? I'm thinking about making an appt. with the ped. tomorrow. I just don't know what to do and I'm not leaving cheerios and goldfish out all day for her to graze on ( I never have) I'll admit though when she's screaming during the day and it's like 4:00 and she hasn't eaten all day I feel really guilty so I give her goldfish. Yesterday I decided no more goldfish so she ate her otmeal and nothing else all day and screamed off and on all night. Please understand I am presenting her w/food. It's not like I don't offer it to her. She just simply won't open her mouth. I'm just at my wits end and need advice. I'm afraid the ped. will say give her what she will eat. So what....I'm supposed to feed my kid cheerios and goldfish all blasted day???

**Oh yeah she goes over to her high chair off and on and tries to grab the tray and sometimes crys so I know she's hungry. It's then I'll offer her something and unless it's crackers, cheerios or goldfish she won't eat. Just cries.

Advertisement

Last edited by bubblesteach; 05-13-2007 at 04:38 PM.
bubblesteach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 05:11 PM   #2
Melissa~BHS
B/S/T with caution~ Ignoring attempts to resolve FSOT issue.

My Mood:
Re: Need advice, DD won't eat.

All of my kids went through those phases of only eating a few select items. My second dd only ate pb& j for about 6 months. Don't sweat it - give her what she will eat. She'll outgrow it.

Melissa~BHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 05:15 PM   #3
kochanyk
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa~BHS View Post
All of my kids went through those phases of only eating a few select items. My second dd only ate pb& j for about 6 months. Don't sweat it - give her what she will eat. She'll outgrow it.
Agreed There are literally 14 meals that my son will eat (at that age it was a lot less). What worked for us to open more doors was letting him help cook. He went through a hotdog phase, we indulged, & now he won't eat them- he got burnt out
Old 05-13-2007, 05:18 PM   #4
mom2kdmb
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa~BHS View Post
mom2kdmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 05:27 PM   #5
JustAugust
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I agree. But just make sure you offer other things all the time, so she doesn't see ONLY the few things she eats. I'd give her a plate with 1 thing you know she'll eat and 2 other things. She doesn't HAVE to eat anything, but it's there.

The crying would drive me nuts. I mean, if she's hungry, then she needs to eat so you all can sleep. Do you know that's the problem? Could she be not eating because something else is wrong? Teeth hurting, or ears, or anything?
Old 05-13-2007, 05:41 PM   #6
2Boys1Girl4Me
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have to say that I can't really see a ped telling you to just feed her what she'll eat if it's not a variety of foods that are good for her. They want your child to be healthy just like you do so they probably won't advise you to only feed her what she's currently eating. When my 2nd DS only wanted a few select foods, his doctor told me to keep offering him fruits and veggies and that he'd eat them eventually if that's what we kept putting in front of him and he was right. We had to be consistent and not just offer the same old stuff he relied on when he didn't want what we were serving but eventually he started eating new foods. It's still a struggle with him, he doesn't care for many veggies but he will eat nearly any fruit we put in front of him.

Honestly, if it was me, I'd stop giving her the goldfish and Cheerios and just put other stuff in front of her or at least offer one food that she doesn't normally eat everytime you give her something else she will eat. Like put a small amount of cut up peaches on her tray when she's eating oatmeal each morning. Eventually curiosity will get the best of her she'll try it I bet. I don't know what all you've tried but my kids all love a wide variety of fruit and with the weather warming up, you should be able to find some great fresh produce for her. At that age bananas, peaches, pears and apples were popular with my youngest. Now, at almost two, she loves cantaloupe, berries and mandarin oranges. Dairy stuff like cheese, yogurt and drinkable yogurt (or Kefir) are all favorites of my kids too.

I'm sure she'll outgrow the phase and the best thing you can do is keep offering her stuff that's good for her! Good luck!
Old 05-13-2007, 07:06 PM   #7
SorenEdenTuckers
Registered Users

My Mood:

Been there. Pedi told me to keep offering a variety of things and if it would make me feel better, I could offer pediasure once or twice a day too since my DD was always big on "the drink" lol I personally scrapped the pediasure and went onlne and found some great smoothie recipes that she loved too. You can add all kinds of organic healthy goodies to your homemade smoothies.
Anywho pedi assured me she wasn't going to starve herself but honestly it freaked me out on the days where it seemed like she had 2 raisins, a half bite of oatmeal and 1 bite of mac and cheese in 24 hours, but she always seemed happy and healthy regardless. Then there would be the week or so occasionally (growth spurts I assume) where she'd eat anything and everything in her path.
Old 05-13-2007, 07:11 PM   #8
dirtdartwife
YouTube Junkie and Thread-Hijacker... watch your threads.
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Boys1Girl4Me View Post
Honestly, if it was me, I'd stop giving her the goldfish and Cheerios and just put other stuff in front of her or at least offer one food that she doesn't normally eat everytime you give her something else she will eat.
This is what I do when my kids are starting to show a "habit" of eating just one or two things.

I'm sorry it's so frustrating. I'm in the camp of "she'll eat when she's hungry" parenting and as long as I've made whatever the food is in a manner I know my kids like, then that's what they'll get. It's just a bit of stubbornness and your will has to be stronger than hers. I know the crying is annoying and if you're pretty positive that there isn't an underlying problem (ear issues, teething, stomach ache, constipation, etc) then take the goldfish and cheerios away and keep offering her other foods. She'll eat it.

Good luck mama and I hope this passes soon for you.
Old 05-13-2007, 07:41 PM   #9
bubblesteach
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Well it's already started for the night. It's 8:37, she's been in bed for one hour. She is now crying. Tonight however we gave her some oatmeal and she ate it so I KNOW she's not hungry. I'm taking her to the ped tomorrow to make sure there isn't any ear prob. or anything but I think that there won't be. Thanks for the advice and I will start to implement it tomorrow. I'll offer her something I know she like w/two other foods. I'll keep you posted.
Old 05-13-2007, 08:44 PM   #10
jenn5388
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I got the queen of no eaters. mine will literally go a week without having any dinner if i don't serve her what I know she'll eat. and the only reason i know it's a week is because I was trying to get her to eat something else, finally after a week, I gave up.

Then sometimes she won't even eat what I know she likes.. Ugh.

It's a struggle.. Everyday. I normally just give her what I know she likes just so she'll eat something. Somedays she won't eat anything but a cracker or two and a cup of chocolate milk..

at the WC I went to last month the doctor told me it's completely normal. I'm sure that's what yours would tell ya too. I'm going to ask some dumb questions here.. so prepare yourself. lol

Have you tried Food coloring to make the food you want her to eat, Interesting?
Have you tried covering the food she won't eat in something she will eat? like mine won't touch veggies, seriously.. none of them.. But she LOVES CHEESE.. so I got the brillant Idea to put corn in her mac and cheese.. It didn't work, but yours might be tricked. I've also tried melting cheese on things that she won't eat..

You can also try putting things like mashed up carrots in the spaghetti sauce, ETC. You can hide food alot easier if you cook it and mash it up. lol

I've tried it all.. Every once in awhile it will work, and other days Not a chance..

Sometimes you gotta just get over the wanting them to eat what you want them to eat, and serve them what they want just so they will eat. I'm sure we all want our kids to eat veggies and fruit over corn dogs and mac and cheese, but some kids just won't do it. All you can do is Try, Try again.. keep offering it.. Cut it up differently.. if the kid will eat french fries, try cutting other fruits and veggies up like french fries and baking them. (I made sweet potato french fries once. Color them.. Try it all. You never know, you might get lucky.. and if you don't,.. then know this won't last forever, I know it's hard.. I would love it if tonight my child dug into her veggies like it was a bowl full of candy, but, I'm guessing it won't happen. lol

Good luck to you!

jennifer
jenn5388 is offline   Reply With Quote