Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-31-2013, 12:50 PM   #1
fbtreanor
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Please don't eat me apart for asking this...

I have diapers I am selling and a mama just expressed interest and its to the point in the transaction where I need to figure out shipping cost and get back to her with a final price. However, coincidentally one of my very close friends just told me she was pregnant and wanted to look into cloth diapering. She knows what I use daily but I was telling her about different diapering systems and she is interested in taking a look at what I have to sell so she could try a little of everything to determine if cloth is for her and her family (she has another in diapers right now so she would make the switch before baby arrives).

I would really like to keep the diapers the mama is interested in so I can let my friend try them before buying but don't want to just tell the buyer they are no longer for sale ATM as I really want to help my friend out and help her get started... what would you do?

Advertisement

fbtreanor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 12:56 PM   #2
Tris
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Please don't eat me apart for asking this...

Id probably follow through with the sale. I don't know if there is a right answer though, since money hasn't switched hands.
Old 10-31-2013, 12:58 PM   #3
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox
No Longer Here

My Mood:

Since you started the transaction, you should honor it and sell to the one that is waiting on shipping price. How would you feel if you were the buyer and someone tried to do this to you?
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 12:58 PM   #4
MommyLyssa
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

oh, ick. I totally see the dilemma. I think I would end up going through with the sale on here though. Will there be plenty left for your friend to look through?
Old 10-31-2013, 06:30 PM   #5
I_run_with_scissors
Registered Users
seller
seller

i see your dilemma, I would probably follow through on the transaction since its past the point of just expressing interest. Thats JMO, i would be bummed as a buyer if the the seller backed out last minute, but since no money has changed hands I dont think youd be breaking any rules if you did
TTC #4
I_run_with_scissors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 09:27 PM   #6
fbtreanor
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet_Fantasy_Fox View Post
How would you feel if you were the buyer and someone tried to do this to you?
I've had it happen, not on DS, and I will very upset and frustrated. So I get it, just an unfortunate timing for it all...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyLyssa View Post
oh, ick. I totally see the dilemma. I think I would end up going through with the sale on here though. Will there be plenty left for your friend to look through?
I really want to follow through as I would feel horrible if I backed out. However if I don't sell these items my girlfriend could start CD'ing immediately with everything she needs for her oldest and see if it is something she wants to commit to when to baby is born. Otherwise I would have other CD's that she said she could try but she would need to purchase more to really get a feel for CD'ing full time and she isn't too keen on trying flats :/

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_run_with_scissors View Post
i would be bummed as a buyer if the the seller backed out last minute, but since no money has changed hands I don't think you'd be breaking any rules if you did
Me too as I have had it happen to me, not on DS, and it sucked, and a few days later saw that The diapers I wanted to buy she had sold to someone else I wouldn't be breaking rules as money hasn't switched hands but I still feel torn as I don't want to do that to another mama...
Old 11-01-2013, 06:14 AM   #7
booty hunter
Queen of Funny Auotcorrects
seller
seller

My Mood:
You could just ask the other mama if she minds. If you told her that something came up and you were wondering if she would mind canceling the transaction. I have had sellers do this to me. One mamas duh lost his job right after we started the transaction and she wanted to keep them since she couldn't afford the more expensive ones she was going to buy. Another sale the duh got upset when he realized she was selling a certain type of diaper (they were his favorite: giggle. Both times they were honest and it was fine. I could understand if you were asking to refund the money but as long as you are talking prices I would just ask and see.
Old 11-01-2013, 04:29 PM   #8
Hungry Caterpillar
Registered Users
seller
seller

I think that if you were really comfortable breaking your deal with the mama on here and giving to your friend, then you wouldn't be asking for advice here. You would have just done it and moved forward, confident with your decision. Since you aren't totally comfortable doing it, I would move forward with the transaction.
Hungry Caterpillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 04:39 PM   #9
fbtreanor
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks for the input everyone! Happily moving forward with the transaction. Just helps to hear from others who have been there done that. I knew all along the "right" thing to do, but was just struggling
Old 11-02-2013, 08:14 AM   #10
aflyingbuttress
Registered Users
seller
seller

Obviously most people don't agree with me but I personally would not go through with the transaction. My friend is more important to me than an anonymous stranger on the internet and it would be important to me to help her out. Something came up. You didn't plan this. You wouldn't be likely to repeat the behavior. I think sometimes it's ok to not do the 100% "right" thing ad long as your intentions are good. You could also say it's the "right" thing to help your friend out.

I really think as long as you don't make a habit of it and offer the buyer an explanation and apology you'd be fine to cancel. If she'd already paid I'd feel differently. But since she hasn't I really don't think it's a big deal. I guess I am in the minority there though. I just think sometimes these things happen and it's really no big deal.
aflyingbuttress is offline   Reply With Quote