Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-02-2013, 12:21 PM   #1
theonenonlymrssmith
Poet Laureate

I need help! My sons attitude is making me break. He doesn't want to try ANYTHING that is even a TINY bit difficult. For instance, If I ask him to try and write a letter and he doesn't feel like it he will say "I can't do it! SEE!" And then Scribble all over the page not even attempting. He has a fit when it's time to start class because whatever he is doing is "more important" honestly, I'm ready to send him to public school and let someone who gets paid for it deal with him. He asked to homeschool, he begs me not to send him to public, and the lessons are Fun, hands on, and more like games. I'm at my whits end!! Help!

Advertisement

Last edited by theonenonlymrssmith; 09-02-2013 at 12:33 PM.
theonenonlymrssmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 01:58 PM   #2
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Attitude's

I know he is in K. How old is he?
Old 09-02-2013, 02:01 PM   #3
theonenonlymrssmith
Poet Laureate

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherlovesCDs
I know he is in K. How old is he?
He is 5.5
Old 09-02-2013, 03:08 PM   #4
JennTheMomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

ds1 use to be like that. So I would help him get started and say that I needed to go to the bathroom and to continue and he actually works much better alone.
JennTheMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 11:12 PM   #5
SillyEllie
Registered Users
Formerly: ardygurly
seller

My Mood:

my daughter is 5 and when we first started she would do the same thing. Now instead of telling her we need to do "school", I just bring out our stuff and let her pick what we are doing first and just act natural with it. I feel like when I tell her "ok, we need to do school now" that it's like a chore. Now that we just do it but don't really call it anything and she has a say in some of it she doesn't really look at it as being a negative thing
SillyEllie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 01:30 AM   #6
You Tell 'Em
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by SillyEllie
my daughter is 5 and when we first started she would do the same thing. Now instead of telling her we need to do "school", I just bring out our stuff and let her pick what we are doing first and just act natural with it. I feel like when I tell her "ok, we need to do school now" that it's like a chore. Now that we just do it but don't really call it anything and she has a say in some of it she doesn't really look at it as being a negative thing

DD #1 (6 yrs/1st grade) is the same. We're going through charter vs independent study (thru PS) this year (vs what we did last year) and she still has it in her head that she will have to do packet work. I've explained to her that computer games count as school work for her, tomorrow we'll see if she starts the day with attitude or will be easy going with what I have planned.

Are you a WAHM crafter looking for an easy way to track inventory and pricing? I <3 using Craftybase!
Looking to add an advocacy design to your own shirt? All screen printed transfers are for sale on my Etsy store!
You Tell 'Em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 06:53 AM   #7
mel j
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Aw

So far if mine tells me he doesn't want to do something, we just do something else because I don't want him to feel pressured (that's one of the issues I have with the public school in the first place!) Not that you are pressuring him, but they might still feel that way. Maybe try to have less of a specific routine (i.e., instead of "It's time to do school", do it in a way where he doesn't realize it's school) and see if that helps. He may just not also be quite ready for learning to write letters... You could try putting it aside for a week or so and then try again.

I like what SillyEllie said and letting her LO pick what they do first. Mine love it when I let them have a bit of a say.
mel j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 08:34 AM   #8
theonenonlymrssmith
Poet Laureate

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel j
Aw

So far if mine tells me he doesn't want to do something, we just do something else because I don't want him to feel pressured (that's one of the issues I have with the public school in the first place!) Not that you are pressuring him, but they might still feel that way. Maybe try to have less of a specific routine (i.e., instead of "It's time to do school", do it in a way where he doesn't realize it's school) and see if that helps. He may just not also be quite ready for learning to write letters... You could try putting it aside for a week or so and then try again.

I like what SillyEllie said and letting her LO pick what they do first. Mine love it when I let them have a bit of a say.
Well, he is definitely ready, because he Already knows his print uppercase letters. And since we do a Montessori style homeschool he gets to pick what he wants to do when already EXCEPT math, math has to get done during his brothers nap time because of the small bead material. *sigh*

Dh and I had a long talk yesterday and here's what we decided. Flame away if you wish!!

He wants a dirt bike more than anything in the world. He always comes up with ideas to earn money to save up for his dirt bike, he writes stories about "his" dirt bike, he draws pictures, points them out on the road etc....

enter in the plan
We're going to *gasp* give him a grade along with a participation grade. If he can make a's all year- we will buy his bike, if he makes all a's and b's for 2 years, we will buy him a dirt bike.

We planned on getting him one eventually anyways, but hopefully this helps him have a goal.
Old 09-03-2013, 08:52 AM   #9
mel j
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yeah, I was a bit confused b/c I knew you were doing Montessori style! I know what you mean about small materials and waiting for nap time (my youngest still likes putting stuff in his mouth.)

I don't think there's a one size fits all curriculum when it comes to school (or homeschool.) Hopefully your plan helps.
mel j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 09:04 AM   #10
babysniffles
Registered Users

No flaming here. Sometimes you just need to motivate them to step beyond their habits and preconceived ideas.
babysniffles is offline   Reply With Quote