View Poll Results: Should we get our son a cell phone? (DH wanted me to do a poll!)
YES! He should have it available when he goes to biodad's and available in his backpack at school. 11 10.19%
YES! He should have it available when he goes to biodad's, but not in his backpack during school. 32 29.63%
NO! He should not have a cell phone. Period. 60 55.56%
Mandatory Other - Explain! 7 6.48%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-18-2013, 04:41 PM   #21
ktmelody
No Longer Here

My Mood:
Nope.

My girls were 12 and 13. They earn their usage by doing chores.

We havent had any issues. But at 5 I wouldn't.

Advertisement

ktmelody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 04:45 PM   #22
Hillargh
Banned

My Mood:
If you decide to get a phone, I would get a parental controlled kid phone. It can only call numbers you put in or 911. You can turn off incoming or only allow certain numbers to call in. No texting or internet. Strictly for the purpose of emergency.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DS Forum
Hillargh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 04:58 PM   #23
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

I think he'll forget it and/or lose it personally.
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 04:59 PM   #24
misskira
Banned - User Requested
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Hear me out - what age to give a child a cell phone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belle View Post
I voted no.

If biodad is not communicating out of spite, or because he's trying to hide something from you then giving your son a cell phone won't help. Biodad can just take it away from him.

If biodad isn't communicating because he's flaky, but otherwise things are okay when your son visits, then there's really no reason he would need a cell phone.

At school, on the bus, 5 is way too young.
I agree.
misskira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 05:11 PM   #25
bluedaisyma
Registered Users
seller

I would. it sounds like in your situation it would make you feel better. My kids were older than yours when they got theirs, but they were older when I got divorced, so that's part of it. I also wanted them to have them bc of their sports practices, I couldn't be more than one place at a time, and if practice ended early, they needed to contact me. My 14 mo old and 3 yr old can do stuff on our phones and the tablet, so I think a 5 yr old certainly can.

For the record, I hate bothering my XH, so I like them to have their own phones, we text each other all the time when they are at his house, and he texts them when they are here, so it would be obnoxious if we were texting each other or calling each other to talk to the kids.
Old 08-18-2013, 05:25 PM   #26
amandact
Registered Users
seller
seller

My dd is only 1 so we haven't dealt with this yet, but if it would make you feel better then why not? I do impractical things all if the time because they make me feel like dd is safer. I see the phone as one of those things, maybe not the most practical thing in the work but if it makes you feel like he is safer then it is great. I would probably do the same thing in your position, I would also assume that she could lose it and spend accordingly.
amandact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 05:30 PM   #27
Celeste
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I say no, for the reasons others have said.

Too young, school would almost certainly frown upon it and possibly confiscate it, and he doesn't sound like he is in harm's way at day's house.

Eta - I would give my kids access to a cell phone, although not necessarily their very own, when they start driving without me or dh.
Old 08-18-2013, 05:38 PM   #28
Huxley
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

If the phone had great parental controls I would by all means give a five year old a phone. It would be just a phone though. No games, no Internet, no texting, just calling programmed numbers.
Old 08-18-2013, 05:44 PM   #29
CarrieMF
Registered Users

My Mood:

I voted other.

Riding the bus is not a reason to have a cel phone. He will not be able to use it once he is in the school and if kids find out he has one it could very easily go missing. The chances of anything ever happening on the bus where he'd need to get in touch with you is so slim.

Going to Dad's could be a reason for a cel phone, IF Dad doesn't take it away while he is there or not let him use it. If Dad finds out he has one so you can get in touch with your son he may not let him use it. How long does he normally go to Dads for. Do you honestly think he is in danger while he is there? Does Dad get to call you while you have him & make sure he's okay or just to see what he's up to? Unfortunately when you have a situation where a child has to go stay with a parent you have to give up some control and being able to contact whenever you want to is one of those things. If you think he's in danger there are other routes to take.

That being said, my kids all got cel phones in Grade 6. It is their big Christmas present.
Old 08-18-2013, 05:46 PM   #30
bluedaisyma
Registered Users
seller

I will add, that I think ALL the elementary school kids have them here. My DH is a bus driver and the day the iphone 5 came out, the whole middle school bus was showing theirs off and I know the elementary schoolers have them too