Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-24-2017, 12:54 PM   #1
gabby's mom
Registered Users
seller

Flat Head :(

Hi Mamas. I wasn't 100% sure where to post this, or even exactly what I'm trying to get from it, but I need to share. Baby #4 has a seriously flat head on the right side. He sleeps with his head turned to that side, despite us trying to position him otherwise. I can't come up with any way to keep it positioned the other way without creating a SIDS risk. We do lots of tummy time and place him in positions all the time to encourage him to turn his head the other way when he is awake. He actually does turn it the other way quite regularly... just not when he sleeps! And considering that he sleeps about 17 hours a day, that's most of the time.

The doctor has encouraged us to put him on his side whenever he lays down outside of sleep periods, but that is virtually impossible because he SCREAMS his head off. Plus, he's not really on that side of his head most of the time while he is awake because he's either being held upright or is in his bouncer where he keeps his head straight. I feel like there's nothing I can do to help him make this better other than keep my fingers crossed, which is a terrible feeling for a very Type A personality. If his head doesn't correct in the next two months, we will likely end up with a helmet.

My SIL's baby had a helmet, and I know several other people as well. At no point did I think that had anything to do with their parenting... just bad luck and a stubborn baby. But now that it is potentially me, I am riddled with guilt. I think about it all the time and feel so bad that he might have to wear one and be uncomfortable.

Share your stories with me if you will... Did you have any tricks that worked? If your baby ended up with a helmet how long did they have it and were they totally miserable? Help

Advertisement

Old 02-24-2017, 02:04 PM   #2
Agla
Super Admin We can do it!
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Flat Head :(

Reading this I wondered if there was any issue with torticollis or tightness in the neck that makes him prefer that side. That could possibly be resolved with massage/chiropractic. Just a suggestion.
Old 02-24-2017, 02:54 PM   #3
missydawn
Administrator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My twins are the same way due to stubborn sleepers. My one is getting better but the other one no matter what position I put her in she finds her way back to that one position. I just try when they are awake to only have them on their belly, being held, or sitting in their little seat. I have noticed some things improvement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Homeschool Buyer CO-OP = Great Homeschool Deals
missydawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 05:44 PM   #4
karlitacat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Welllll... all my kids (4) were tummy sleepers. I don't believe that "back is best" and they never had any problems with flat heads.
karlitacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 07:54 PM   #5
Melinda29
Registered Users
seller

Torticollis?
Melinda29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 08:41 PM   #6
gabby's mom
Registered Users
seller

Thanks ladies. It started out as mild torticolis but we were able to stretch that side and encourage him to turn that way enough in his awake hours to get rid of it for the most part. He now has no trouble turning that way and will do so when awake. I feel like he just got used to turning that way in his sleep when it was more comfortable and now he just prefers it... ugh .
Old 02-24-2017, 08:52 PM   #7
Fashionably Green Baby
Registered Users
Formerly: artistmom
seller

My Mood:
I would highly suggest seeing someone who does myofascial release. Especially if there was any torticollis.
Old 02-24-2017, 08:58 PM   #8
Fashionably Green Baby
Registered Users
Formerly: artistmom
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlitacat
Welllll... all my kids (4) were tummy sleepers. I don't believe that "back is best" and they never had any problems with flat heads.
great that this worked for you but I find this attitude to be unhelpful. Babies are supposed to be put to sleep on their back and many parents feel uncomfortable going against that recommendation (for good reason)

Also, this is a plagiocephaly issue likely caused by torticollis, not a brachycephaly issue solely from back sleeping
Old 02-24-2017, 10:25 PM   #9
qsefthuko
Registered Users
seller
seller

Well, I am another who feels back isn't necessarily best. But doubt that would matter for a stubborn baby. My babies refused to sleep on their tummies. Go figure. So if baby prefers one side this much doubt trying to put baby down to sleep on the tummy would help any. Unless remaining awake so the goal.

So, that said, I agree with the chiropractor suggestion.
qsefthuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 09:29 AM   #10
mamaberkhie
Registered Users
Formerly: 3L*****B*****s
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabby's mom
Thanks ladies. It started out as mild torticolis but we were able to stretch that side and encourage him to turn that way enough in his awake hours to get rid of it for the most part. He now has no trouble turning that way and will do so when awake. I feel like he just got used to turning that way in his sleep when it was more comfortable and now he just prefers it... ugh .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fashionably Green Baby
I would highly suggest seeing someone who does myofascial release. Especially if there was any torticollis.
I agree.