Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-17-2015, 02:04 AM   #1
OklaFarmMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Help me go from SAHM to WAHM.

I've really been thinking about opening a shop on etsy. I do all sorts of crafty things, but at this point it would be crochet/knitted items (mostly baby blankets) and hemp jewelry. I want to do everything I can to help set my self up for success. I want to make a real go of this. I want to contribute to our income. And home party/direct sales is not for me, tired it and didn't like it at all. I love crafting tho, always have, always will.

What are the pros and cons of etsy?

What helps make a shop successful?

I know simple, clear, eye catching photos are a big help. And I know as a shopper I'm more likely to chose to buy from a shop that feel is more personable, and I think other people want to feel that connection too.

Right now I have a lot of supplies on hand. I'm setting a goal to finish one project a week. I figure that is a reasonable goal with a toddler and a 2mo. I plan to set up a shop and/or website once I have $500 worth of salable items done... I mite not reach these goals, but having them helps keep me focused.

Any tips/advice/encouragement is welcome.

Advertisement

IHA crochet skills, or PayPal
OklaFarmMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 05:33 AM   #2
special.k.marie
Registered Users
seller
seller

Help me go from SAHM to WAHM.

Etsy is popular because they do a lot of the work for you. There's no need to set up your own website and open a merchant account to accept payments, they provide those. Also as they are the go to for handmade items, you might get a lot of traffic with minimal advertising. They offer 40 free listings if you use a referral link from a current shop owner. A lot of neat features are built in to the shop dashboard: you can see what items people view and favorite, what search terms led them to your shop, what country they are from, etc. The shipping is easy as they have it built in and offer a discount, not unlike eBay / PayPal.
Down sides? They charge a listing fee for every item (due when you list) plus a % of each sale. After the IPO, some people are worried those fees will be raised but that is yet to be seen. They offer sponsored ads, which means you pay to have your items promoted higher than others; I haven't yet looked into that to be able to decide if it is worth the cost. Also, if someone does not believe you made the items you are selling they can report you and if you can't prove they are wrong, your site can be shut down.
Overall if you aren't a web master and don't have time to manage an entire site yourself (and don't mind the fees), I'd recommend it.
And I'm not just saying that so that I can give you my shop referral link.
ETA: I can't speak to what makes a shop successful because I have only had one since January. I would also suggest checking the laws related to starting and owning a business in your state. Here in Ohio there is a lot of legwork to get started related to licenses and state tax. Make sure you have all of that taken care of before you get started, it is much easier than having to do it after the fact, especially if your business takes off and you are busy with promoting it and managing sales.
If you decide to go ahead, good luck!

Looking for new earrings? Visit my etsy shop and use code DIAPERSWAPPERS20 for 20% off!
SPARKLY STRANDS

Last edited by special.k.marie; 04-17-2015 at 05:40 AM.
special.k.marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 02:04 PM   #3
Violetmama12
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Help me go from SAHM to WAHM.

I started my Etsy shop with just 4 listings and had a few sales right away to my surprise. My sales have been steadily increasing as I list more items. I planned to start my shop with a big inventory but got too excited to wait so just opened it!! That seemed to work for me!

Little Wren Bonnets - Handmade reversible sun bonnets for babies & toddlers
Violetmama12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 06:32 PM   #4
timogloria
Registered Users

Has anyone had success with a custom made etsy site? i.e. listing examples but not keeping an on hand stock until someone places an order.
timogloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 03:39 PM   #5
littlesusiederkins
Registered Users

My Mood:

I've had trouble selling my woolies. There are some amazing mama's out there but alas... It's been trying.
littlesusiederkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 06:25 AM   #6
Harmony96
Administrator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

I'm hoping to get patterns up there one day, since I no longer have time to make the actual items.
Harmony96 is offline   Reply With Quote