Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-18-2009, 03:20 PM   #1
ladylee
Registered Users

My Mood:
If I knew then what I know now...

...I would have never ever heated my now five year old sons Dr. Browns bottle i or plastic baby food containers in the micro. I also would have washed his bottles by hand all the time instead of washing them in the dishwasher and using heat dry after every use.

I was a busy full time working mom. I stopped BFing when he was 10 weeks old and gave him formula. I heated his bottle in the microwave only 30 seconds. The bottle was lukewarm. I always tested it. I knew not to do that because of hot pockets but avoided those hot pockets by testing it first.

My child showed signs of autism around three months, maybe a little earlier or later. I don't remember the exact time. He is now five years old and doing great. He is on the spectrum but doing well.

I believe that there are so many potential triggers of autism that it's hard to really know what is triggering it in our kids.

Regardless, I did give my child a heated bottle several times a day. The in home daycare did that as well because I told them it was fine. Smart, huh? I don't know if this is the reason or one of the triggers for my son as there are some genetics traits as well, but it just makes me wonder.

I guess you tend to wonder more when you sort through the "whys" when your child has difficulty. My son wasn't the "worse after vaccines" story. In fact, he has improved with each given year. He was in the moderate range of autism and now you wouldn't even know.

I wonder if BPA was completely eliminated if we would continue to see the same or a continued increase in Autism? Maybe - maybe not. I still strongly believe that for my child, the cause is more genetic. Regardless, I will always wonder "what if".

Advertisement

ladylee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 03:53 PM   #2
GEM Cloth
Registered Users
Formerly: michellemomx3
seller

My Mood:
Re: If I knew then what I know now...

mama, I think that is part of being a mama, wondering what if and saying "If I knew then what I know now." Your son's autism could very well have nothing to do with what you did or did not do. Don't beat yourself up, you were and are doing the best you can for your child.
GEM Cloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 01:35 AM   #3
snangel
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: If I knew then what I know now...

I tried to pm you but your box was full... here is my pm...

I just want to give you a hug. i am a momma to a little sn boy. He has a rare disorder, and they do not know what causes it. I blamed myself so many days. I went through what I may have done, or touched, or whatever. The truth is he is who he is, and there is nothing that I did, or didn't do. You did the best with what you had. That is all that matters. It's not about what or how or even why, just that you did what you knew.

I am glad your little man is doing well, he could have only done that with an excellent Momma!