Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-17-2009, 04:16 PM   #11
jennyb
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: How soon did you...

well, i never stay "confined" to the house, but i wouldn't go to wal-mart with a newborn either...

ds was a november baby and we would leave the house to go visit the grandparents, just to get "out", but the outside temp. was getting pretty chilly when he was born.

dd was a spring baby, so i had her in the sling and outside for walks with ds when she was 8 days old; again we also went to visit grandparents & spent lots of time in our own back yard

the earliest we ever take our newborns to church is 4 weeks old - EVERYONE wants to touch, stroke, hold a baby and i don't feel like constantly saying no; even the people who walk up & say "don't worry, i won't touch" still lean in until their nose practically touches the baby ...

however, i don't mind at all when people from church or our circle of friends stop by to meet the baby, i just don't like to take newborns into a building containing LOTS of people, like wal-mart, church, etc. if the weather is nice enough to be outside, like an outdoor graduation party or something, i feel more comfortable being around a larger group of people b/c we're in the fresh air, instead of everyone being in a confined building.

as you have read, though, everyone has their own levels of comfort with newborns & germs if it is too cold to be outside when your lo arrives, and if you aren't comfortable taking baby into large crowds, i often find coffee houses to be a nice refuge during the day - you can usually find a nice quiet corner ... or a cafe ... or the library? i'm not familiar with germany, so i don't have any specific suggestions - my suggestions are all american-based.

Advertisement

Get Cash Back from all your fave stores-Click here to join Mr. Rebates!
jennyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 04:19 PM   #12
ericsgirl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We took him out the day we came home from the hospital...but it is warm here, and we were outside, not in any enclosed areas with lots of people...also took him to the mall when he was a week old, but it is an OUTDOOR mall, and we just walked around He has always been really healthy and robust though, and was a week late...if he was early I'm sure we would have waited.
Old 01-17-2009, 04:27 PM   #13
greenMImama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I had an end of June baby, and we were out right away, at the neighbos for dinner who have 2 small children, at a wedding, th of July party, and church by day 4 and 5, and he never got sick, it was wonderful to show him off.

240/2014
greenMImama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 04:41 PM   #14
waitingtobe
Registered Users

My Mood:

With DD she went to the supermarket with us on the way home. LOL We hadnt been home in a few days and needed some groceries & I needed to pick up me pain meds, etc.

The next day we went to Wal-mart. I remember someone asking me...Oh..how old? I said 5days and she thought I said 5 weeks. After I corrected her, she gave me a weird look. I thought that it was really funny. I would go crazy in the house for 8 weeks. It is NOT who we are.

To each his own...whatever you do will be right for you!

Check out my Mommy Blog at www.andbrooklynmakesthress.blogspot.com
waitingtobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 04:52 PM   #15
MommaBunny
10% of Profits Donated to Wildlife
seller

My Mood:

We followed the tradition of waiting until her cord stump fell off, which happed to be at exactly 2 weeks. She was born in spring in Alabama, it was in the mid- to high- seventies.
Old 01-17-2009, 05:08 PM   #16
Mom2BabiesA&I
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

DD I was out and about with her two days PP.

With DS it was a little longer as I could barely move for about a week.
Old 01-17-2009, 05:10 PM   #17
4HisGlory
Registered Users
Formerly: 2&1ontheway
seller

I take all my babes to Church the sunday we get out of the hospital..I keep them in the MOby with me the whole time though
Old 01-17-2009, 05:13 PM   #18
bumminbeachbabe
Registered Users
seller
seller

We were out picking up meds and groceries about 3 days PP and took him to church for the first time at 5 days. The weather was pretty nice, and I was adamant that nobody touch him.

Last edited by bumminbeachbabe; 01-17-2009 at 05:13 PM. Reason: something funky happened
bumminbeachbabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 05:27 PM   #19
redneckmama
Registered Users
Formerly: lilybugsmomma
seller

My Mood:

With dd1 we went the mall and had professional pics taken when she was 5 days old. With dd2 I think she was 5 or 6 days old when we went out to lunch with my mom.
Old 01-17-2009, 05:52 PM   #20
MW69842
Banned/ Member requested
formerly equivocal
seller

My Mood:

My daughter was born on July 20th. We were d/c from the hospital on the 22nd. It was gorgeous out that day (so sunny and mild).

Anyway, we went to Target before even stopping home after leaving the hospital, because my OB prescribed me a whole bunch of medications (due to complications that arose after birth and my health was essential, of course) and we needed to pick up more postpartum pads, etc...

So, my daughter was two days old. No one touched her or came near her.

She had her first doctor's appointment when she was 4 days old... and we took her to a restaurant when she was a week or so.

She born full-term and totally healthy.
MW69842 is offline   Reply With Quote