Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-14-2017, 03:36 PM   #1
snugsboutique
Registered Users
seller

Thoughts on Vaccination?

Hi Mamas!

So I'm expecting my second and have been pro vaccination for a while. But then my friend sort of bombarded me out of the blue with all her reasons why she doesn't vaccinate.

She hit some good points, but I'm going to do more research. I just wanted to see how other mamas feel about the topic.

Thank you!

Advertisement

I'm BAAACK!! Check out my new ready to ship items on my Etsy and Hyena Cart shops!
snugsboutique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 06:29 PM   #2
MamaLlama
Registered Users

Re: Thoughts on Vaccination?

I think vaccinating can be good, but it can also be harmful, depending on the child. So I take them slow and easy--start late, do them one at a time, and most importantly, LISTEN TO MY GUT. I have one daughter that for some reason I have just not felt good about vaccinating. She is my one child with allergies, and that may be the reason, but I don't know...I just know I don't want to go against my gut feeling and find out why I didn't feel good about it. So she is mostly unvaccinated. The rest are vaccinated before starting school. I have one who started kindergarten this year and we started her vaccines about a year ago and went every month for a long time so we could do one shot at a time and still be done. (She is actually not quite done yet, but almost. Just short a couple of later rounds...I had a baby and it threw my schedule off.) Most horror stories I have heard have been when parents followed the advice of their pediatrician without doing their own research, or have had a bad feeling about it and have gone forward with it anyway.

Oh, and we do not do the gardasil (HPV?) shot. Not good.
Old 10-14-2017, 06:52 PM   #3
kmrotski
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I feel like vaccines are a topic that there just simply isn't a right answer. Either way a part of me feels like I'm doing something bad for my child.
kmrotski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 08:52 PM   #4
snugsboutique
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmrotski View Post
I feel like vaccines are a topic that there just simply isn't a right answer. Either way a part of me feels like I'm doing something bad for my child.
That's how I feel too. It's like damned if you do damned if you don't. If you vaccinate and they end up with autisim or a sever allergy, you feel horrible. But if they get sick with something they have vaccines for, you feel horrible.

I'm BAAACK!! Check out my new ready to ship items on my Etsy and Hyena Cart shops!
snugsboutique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 10:28 PM   #5
KaleidoscopeEyes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I believe that it's a family decision to weigh the risks and benefits and choose what is best for their own children. I do not believe in shaming others for doing what they feel is safest for their kids. I do not believe that it's anyone's responsibility to put their child in danger for the "greater good" if they don't want to. Is it selfish to put your own needs before someone else's? Sure but IMO when it comes to the safety and welfare of your own children it's perfectly fine to be selfish.
Old 10-14-2017, 10:31 PM   #6
KaleidoscopeEyes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My first was fully vaccinated and I started my second on them until I actually did my research and determined that it wasn't something I wanted to do once I was able make an informed decision. I think vaccines are a VERY big deal and not something someone should just go along with unless they have researched it IMO
Old 10-16-2017, 02:25 PM   #7
karlitacat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I echo what others have already said.

With our first, we weren't as educated and just did what we were told (back in 2007). Just in the few years since, vaccines have changed and there are more boosters added, more vaccines combined - and we wonder why there are more problems? Interestingly, though we are all basically healthy, she is the one who would get sick the most/worst.

We now have four children and with each one we have learned more, made better-educated decisions. But yes, whatever decision you make you feel like you might be "wrong" and later regret your decision (nevermind being judged based on what others are doing or by the medical community because you're putting your child and everyone else in danger).

We get very few vaccines, avoiding those for which we aren't at risk or those non-life threatening. We also don't do combination vaccines, spreading them out, putting it off if kids are already not feeling well.

A good, basically non-biased book we have is The Vaccine Book by Robert W. Sears. I don't know which edition we have and there is probably more info out there, but that's the resource we used the most when first deciding to cut back on vaccines for our children.
karlitacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 11:10 AM   #8
gabby's mom
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmrotski View Post
Well said.

We vaccinate for the deadly ones. We weighed the risks and that is what we feel most comfortable with.

We do actually take into consideration the impact our choices have on other children. This is largely because I grew up with a sister who was not able to have the whooping cough vaccine and it was important for her health that others had it. So, I do add that in to our considerations as well.
Old 10-23-2017, 10:32 AM   #9
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We vaccinated but took it a little slower. Only 2 shots a visit, before they are 3 they have always been caught up. With my first we actually avoided the multiple vaccinations in one but that actually caused issues because sometimes it was hard to find something.

It is good to know what it vaccinating for. There is/was one, its a drink which is to prevent something that only happen to young kids that live in unclean environments. My kids don't so we really didn't need it - they give a few doses. My son actually got one but DD didn't get any and he didn't get anymore.

You hear about some diseases that haven't had cases in the US for so long are coming back because of areas where people aren't vaccinating. So scary.
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010 (Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months; Nightime PL at 5.5 years) & LO#2 born 12/1/2013 (First diaper was cloth! Part-time EC since 12 months & Daytime PL at 26 months) Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on how long a cloth diaper REALLY lasts. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here & here. How to Wash Wool & Sanitize Wool. Everything must go! 2T Nght Fitted Trainer, XL Wool Soaker, Baby Wearing
Pixi6s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 04:03 PM   #10
Elchorrito
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixi6s View Post
It is good to know what it vaccinating for. There is/was one, its a drink which is to prevent something that only happen to young kids that live in unclean environments. My kids don't so we really didn't need it - they give a few doses. My son actually got one but DD didn't get any and he didn't get anymore.

You hear about some diseases that haven't had cases in the US for so long are coming back because of areas where people aren't vaccinating. So scary.
This. And this. As my mom says, we used to fear our kids getting these diseases. Now we are careless about them.

DH and I aren't in agreement about the hpv vaccine and hepatitis. I say if DS wants to live a lifestyle where he'll need those vaccines he can get them himself. I don't feel like giving him a ticket to be reckless. DH thinks we should get them - we don't know what choices he'll make and we should prevent illness if we can.
Elchorrito is offline   Reply With Quote