Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 05-31-2006, 09:21 AM   #31
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: Ped appt left me in tears..hmph

I hope you can find a new ped, that is just NOT right. I can't believe he would want to medicate a NINE month old to sleep. That just isn't right.

Aimee~ mom to Tyler (8), Miya (5) and Jacob (2)
aimee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 09:37 AM   #32
Registered Users
My Mood:

I also hope you can find a new doctor. It does not have to be a pediatrician. Family practice physicians are great too.

Your concerns should not be minimized or ignored. Mommy knows best!
Heather - Mommy to Matthew 9/05 and Eli 2/11/09
Fiber Artist and Designer at Western Sky Knits
Visit us at WSK for hand-dyed yarn and fiber
heather_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 11:56 AM   #33

Oh my gosh! I know this frustration well My first thought is that this is now in your son's medical records.....everything he said to you, even about YOU. That's some pretty serious accusations he made against you, and I would advise you to have them removed, or altered. You may have to go over his head, but it would really be in your best interest.

Also, it sounds like your son needs a urologist. You gave this doctor a list of symptoms and a possible cause and he totally blew them off. It's obvious from what you've said that your son is waking in the middle of the night because he's uncomfortable (hence the falling asleep as soon as you pick him up).

One other thought I had. I have always had reflux, and it can and does get so bad sometimes it actually gets in my ears. The head tilting you described sounds like it could be reflux.

Fire this doctor and find someone else. And if that doc doesn't take you seriously fire them and keep moving. It's so frustrating, but sometimes you have to "try out" several before you get a good one.

Good luck to you and your son!

Oh, one more don't have to wait for the doc to offer to refer you to a urologist, you can ask, and 99% of the time they do it, even if they don't think it's necessary. Also, if you are concerned about his feet you can ask for a referral for that too. I've found physical therapists more help in that area though, even if they don't do therapy with the child they can diagnose a gait or muscle/bone problem and point you in the right direction, and even get braces or shoe inserts if needed.

Ok, I'm done now
Okiemunchkinsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 05:14 PM   #34
Registered Users

Get a new dr! Like others have said, it doesn't have to be a ped, family practice docs can be great. DD was delivered by a family practice dr and then he saw her until we moved after she was 6 months. I totally loved him. When I brought dd in for appointments, I could ask questions about myself or ask for refills on prescriptions. Because I had seen him for all my prenatal visits and then dd's well baby visits, he knew us super well. It was really nice having one doc for the whole family. I really miss him since we moved away . Now dd is going to a ped and I haven't found a dr yet. Hopefully I will like the ped practice, but if I don't get a good "vibe" I'm not afraid to switch.

ETA: I am a strong believer in western medicine and vaccinations and well baby visits, but doctors are not all knowing! I have had some terrible docs and you wonder how in the world they have managed to keep patients and stay in practice. It really is a matter of finding someone who has similar views to yours and that you get along with. There is NO reason to have a dr that you don't like--there are lots of docs in the world and some are great. YOU are the consumer and they are providing a service that you are paying for. Shop around until you find someone you like.
I knit sweaters and longies (especially sock monkey ones):
Crocheted Cupcake "Baking" sets, playfood, and sock monkey items now available at my etsy store
Mama to Annabel 9/01/05, Ian 10/11/08

Last edited by weddell; 05-31-2006 at 05:18 PM.
weddell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 05:18 PM   #35
I grow people

Although family practice can sometimes backfire too. We have one physician for our whole family, although we rarely go. But she was also my OB with my last two babies. Anyway, once I decided to stop vaxing my dd, our relationship changed; she got more distant and less friendly. So now I may have to find a new doctor for everyone.
SheilaJoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 05:24 PM   #36
Registered Users

how horrible mama .
how would you feel about writing him a letter of dissatisfaction?..., including all the offensive and unprofessional quotes from him, as well as cc: it to physicians licensing board in your state &/or just sending the letter to the board. they should really f/u with him sounds like HE needs a intervention!
BakingMama is offline   Reply With Quote