Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-02-2010, 07:39 PM   #1
mddysmommy321
Registered Users

TTC Twins, Has anyone been successful?

Has anyone been successful in trying natural methods to conceive twins, w/o a family history or history of twins prior. I have heard cassava root, yams and dairy are natural sources to produce over-ovulation and can lead to a twin pregnancy. I was just wandering if anyone has had success while actively trying to produce twins.

TIA!

Advertisement

mddysmommy321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 07:55 PM   #2
mommaagain
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: TTC Twins, Has anyone been successful?

Twins may sound like fun, but it's high risk. My first took lots of meds and intervention before we conceived. She was born full term at 9 lbs 3 oz after an induction. She is a blessing. Our next preganancy required many more meds and more intervention. We conceived twins. I experienced preterm labor at 22 wks and 6 days. My local hospital did not transfer me to a high risk hospital because my babies were not viable. I'm a maternity RN and knew this. It was terrifying. I was hospitalized again at 26 wks for preterm labor. This time I was transferred. I was 4 cms dilated and they couldn't stop my ctx. We had the head of the NICU in to speak with my husband and I because I was expected to deliver before the end of the night. Thankfully my cervix stopped changing at 5 cms and I was able to hang on to the pregnancy. I remained on the L&D floor for 6 days because I was so high risk they wanted me right next to the OR. I finally got transferred to the high risk OB floor at 27 wks pregnant. I continued to contract fairly regularly. By the grace of God I did not change my cervix, break my water or contract an infection. I was on strict bedrest with bathroom privledges only. After a month I was allowed to sit up for 1 hour per day. I was in the hospital for a total of 10 weeks with a 2 yr old at home 20 min away. To this day I don't know how I remained sane through it all. I ended up breaking my water at 35 wks and 3 days. My babies were born healthy and I thank God every day. All the doctors and nurses who cared for me said it was a miracle I did not deliver sooner. I have since had another term baby. He was also a miracle because I had been told I couldn't get pregnant on my own. We had chosen to avoid medical intervention to achieve another pregnancy out of fear. Had to be induced and he was 9 lbs 8 oz. All the preterm labor issues were totally twin related. I know many other mothers with twins through a mothers group. There are more children with issues than not. Babies are a blessing, but be careful for what you wish for.

Last edited by mommaagain; 07-02-2010 at 07:57 PM.
mommaagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 10:18 PM   #3
ciles
Registered Users

My Mood:

original poster- many mama's on here dislike this question I believe.. its been asked before and it usually results in drama.

but.. although a lot of people point out there are twins with issues- there are plenty that are born without them.. I do not want multiples however because I would be too worried about possible complications!
Old 07-02-2010, 10:34 PM   #4
mammaof3lovelys
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

there is such a huge percentage of twins in my family i wouldn't want to do anything to increase my chances for fear of having triplets. sorry no help here.

btw i am a twin and my mom's pregnancy with me and my brother was normal, no complications, we are completly health happy people now. no issues as babies. not anymore than any other baby that is. She didn't even know she was having twins till she had me.

Like my avatar? Lil' Munchkies made them!
mammaof3lovelys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 07:27 PM   #5
armywife08
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

good luck!! i don't really know how to but even singleton pregnancies can result in problems and we are all having singletons. so i say go for it, if it happens, it happens!

Our rainbow baby, James, was born 21April2011 Our survivor twin, Anya was born Dec 2012
armywife08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 07:41 PM   #6
Maverick's Mama
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by mammaof3lovelys View Post
there is such a huge percentage of twins in my family i wouldn't want to do anything to increase my chances for fear of having triplets. sorry no help here.

btw i am a twin and my mom's pregnancy with me and my brother was normal, no complications, we are completly health happy people now. no issues as babies. not anymore than any other baby that is. She didn't even know she was having twins till she had me.
That's how it was with my aunt's. My grandma (who had 4 other singletons) had no idea there were two babies until she delivered.

I cannot imagine!

Kelsey!! Mama to Maverick born 04/05/09, a cloth diapering, but otherwise not THAT green kind of mommy http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/kelseyeb1986 [url]http://zoombucks.com/join.php?ref=kelseyeb1986[url]
Maverick's Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 08:14 PM   #7
SKITTLES46
Registered Users

My Mood:

My 2 cents here...for what its worth, from what I've read and been told twins coming early with the extra trouble is usually diet/nutrition related. One of the ladies in church here carried twins almost 41 weeks with no real issues, following a specific diet, increasing iron and protein.
Anabaptist Christian, Homeschooling, EBF, non-vaxing, non-circ, CD'ing, Wife to M (8-15-98), Blessed with DD 11, DS 7, DS 5, and my two reversal babes!, DS 16 months, and #5 due Jan '11!
SKITTLES46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 11:53 AM   #8
mammaof3lovelys
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

oh ya and we were born 2 weeks after our due date. (forgot to mention that part)

Like my avatar? Lil' Munchkies made them!
mammaof3lovelys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 12:07 PM   #9
hilaryisinked
Spring Into a New Avi 2015 Winner
sitesupporter
seller
seller

DH and his twin were born late too. Both over 7 lbs. Healthy as can be. To the OP, I have not met anyone who has tried to have twins but if you want them, go for it. Not all twins will be born early with complications obviously and even being pregnant with one baby can result in complications but people still want to get pregnant.
Old 07-04-2010, 01:20 PM   #10
katiecornflakes
Registered Users
seller
seller

As I understand it, you have to eat a TON of cassava root or yams to have it make a difference. Dairy will only matter if you're getting the kind with bgh in it, which I think is pretty for TTCing (and life in general but that's just my :twocents: ).

Breastfeeding yields a higher rate of twinning!

Other than all that, I think you just go for it and see what happens.

GL, mama.
& Baby girl C (11/13)

Last edited by katiecornflakes; 07-04-2010 at 01:22 PM.
katiecornflakes is offline   Reply With Quote