Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-17-2010, 02:04 PM   #1
Miles
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Diarrhea in 2 yr old

My 2 yr old has had diarrhea for about a week now. I wasnt concerned with it until it got to where it was like water. My sister and mom said to call the dr, but Im thinking all they will say is give her OTC meds and do the BRAT diet with her. We are trying not to do the meds but are doing the BRAT diet this wkend with her. Also giving her as much yogurt she would like. We have also cut back on everything to do with juice or kool aid or milk, she is getting water. I dont know what else to do, my mom flipped out saying a week is way too long. Thing is that she doesnt have a tummy ache or even sick at all. She is eating normal, drinking normal acting normal. She just has the runs. If the BRAT diet doesnt work what else should I do, call the dr? Im not sure what they will do as she isnt even sick. Any help or advice would be great, Ill try anything at this point! I didnt before thinking it would go away on its own and sadly it hasnt.

Advertisement

Old 07-17-2010, 02:10 PM   #2
C-MaeMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Diarrhea in 2 yr old

my dd went through this just recently @ 2 1/2 after a few days i wrote it off to teething, her 2 yr molars. maybe thats the case with you? as long as there is no fever and dehydration hopefully it will pass soon. i also gave her biogia drops and within 2 days it passed?
Old 07-17-2010, 02:12 PM   #3
Miles
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

No fever, no throwing up no nothing. That is why its driving me insane! And she isnt pooping like every time she eats or anything of that sort. The most she has pooped is like 3 times a day, its been around 1-2 times a day. So its not an all day thing either, what are biogia drops and where do I get them?
Old 07-17-2010, 03:43 PM   #4
C-MaeMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

http://www.biogaia.com/

they are probiotic drops, here they are over the counter at the pharmacy. my ped had suggested using them for my newborn for gas/colic, a couple of days later when i seen him about my daughter he mentioned giving her some as well.
Old 07-17-2010, 03:49 PM   #5
Miles
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thank you! My sister said that CVS sells them, she used on her son when he was on meds due to having ear infections. That way he didnt get any runs, she said they worked awesome. So Ill be getting some! THANK YOU!
Old 07-17-2010, 06:26 PM   #6
harleysmama
Registered Users

My Mood:

the dr can't hurt though. it's probably not the same thing, but one of my students way back when (3) had the same symptoms and it turned out he had a parasite.
harleysmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 06:41 PM   #7
mississippimommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

If there are no other symptoms the doctor is just going to tell you to keep doing what you're doing because it's probably just a virus that will have to run it's course. My 2 year old had a bad virus about a month or 2 ago and it went way over a week. As long as she's getting liquids and making plenty of urine diapers she'll be fine.
mississippimommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 06:48 PM   #8
rdossmann
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

You might also try coconut water in the organic section at the store (at least here). It will replenish what she is losing and provide minerals while she is having this. I give it to my in the summer when they are playing a lot outside and when they are sick. I even make popsicles out of it. You can get plain or flavored. We like the mango and the pineapple. Good stuff. I even drank it when I was preggo during the first trimester...I was so sick! Hope she feels better soon.
Old 07-17-2010, 07:28 PM   #9
Miles
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mississippimommy View Post
If there are no other symptoms the doctor is just going to tell you to keep doing what you're doing because it's probably just a virus that will have to run it's course. My 2 year old had a bad virus about a month or 2 ago and it went way over a week. As long as she's getting liquids and making plenty of urine diapers she'll be fine.
Yeah this is what we are thinking because I had it and DH has it now as well. She is drinking enough and is potty training so I know how many times she is going potty on the potty. This is one reason I didnt want to go to the dr or call them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdossmann View Post
You might also try coconut water in the organic section at the store (at least here). It will replenish what she is losing and provide minerals while she is having this. I give it to my in the summer when they are playing a lot outside and when they are sick. I even make popsicles out of it. You can get plain or flavored. We like the mango and the pineapple. Good stuff. I even drank it when I was preggo during the first trimester...I was so sick! Hope she feels better soon.
Ill look into this thank you! See if our store has it around it and if so Ill grab some.
Old 07-17-2010, 08:56 PM   #10
MiaAnjuli
Registered Users
seller

You should probably try to get her to take pedialyte and eat a lot of pedialyte popcicles.
MiaAnjuli is offline   Reply With Quote