Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-21-2010, 09:37 PM   #1
literacylaunchpad
Registered Users
Formerly: acw1

How do I get this kid to stop peeing his pants???

My DS turned 2 at the beginning of July. We started potty training at the beginning of June (so we've been at this for almost 2 months). He seems to get it for the most part. He can stay dry all day as long as I'm sending him to the potty when I see him grabbing himself or doing a little pee pee dance. But he's been having an accident pretty much every day. I don't get it. I don't think it's an issue of him being too young or not ready. I've seen other kids (even boys) train quicker than this at his age. What am I doing wrong? We tried a reward that he gets at the end of the day if he stays dry all day, but he doesn't seem phased by that (doesn't care much when he doesn't get it). I hate to punish him for having accidents, but I'm at a loss for what else to do. Why can't he seem to be bothered to be sure he goes to the potty? What do I do to make him care?

Advertisement

literacylaunchpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 10:04 PM   #2
geetabean
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: How do I get this kid to stop peeing his pants???

I would NOT punish him for having accidents. They happen.....sometimes on accident, sometimes on purpose. He's still learning, and that involves accidents and experimenting and testing boundaries. I think punishing for potty training sends the wrong message and often complicates things even further. What I did with my daughter is made her clean up her mess. I was always up beat about it....."Hey honey, it looks like you had an accident.....next time we need to try harder to make it to the potty before you have an accident......you need to clean up your mess now!" I would have her undress herself, wipe herself off with wipes, walk her wet/dirty clothes to the laundry room, clean up the mess on the floor, (I would always clean it for real afterward, but she had to show she was making an effort) walk the towels etc to the laundry room, and then she had to get new clothes and get herself dressed again. I would "help" at every step as needed but I let her try to do as much of it on her own as possible and she was actually very capable at cleaning up! Sometimes she was so mad I had to do it all hand over hand while talking her through the whole thing and trying my darndest to stay calm and positive sounding. Eventually (after a couple of weeks) she got tired of having to do all that work. Every time she had an accident she had to stop what she was doing and spend 20 minutes cleaning up after herself. I did not make any of this a punishment.....it was a natural consequence of having an accident and it wasn't unrealistic to think that she could take part in cleaning up the mess she made! I'm sure other Mamas have suggestions.....this is just worked for us! Good luck!!!!
Old 07-21-2010, 10:11 PM   #3
literacylaunchpad
Registered Users

I like this idea. I did have him wiping up his puddles, which he doesn't seem to mind one bit. But perhaps if I make him get the rag, wipe it up, put the rag away, wipe himself, change himself, etc., maybe he'll start getting annoyed with all that and GET IT. Cause just having him wipe up the pee doesn't take him very long, which is probably why it doesn't bother him. I actually think he thinks it's kind of fun.

Old 07-22-2010, 05:46 AM   #4
sukhayogi
Registered Users

My Mood:

Maybe he isn't ready? You could go back to dipes for a week or so and try again? I haven't really PL'd my son yet and he is 2.5 yrs. so I haven't really BTDT. Good luck!
Old 07-22-2010, 05:51 AM   #5
mrseum
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

haha, "why can't he be bothered to stop what he's doing and go potty?"
Children this age can never be bothered! He's soo busy exploring his world that sometimes they truely just forget. And since he was used to having a diaper on, he may not realize until he's wet. I'd just keep having him help clean up, and gently reminding him to use the potty. It's great he's PL'ing at 2, actually MANY boys aren't ready at that age. Boys usually PL after girls.
E-2.1.14
mrseum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 08:37 AM   #6
eaglewife126
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i think rewarding him at the end of the day is too far off for him. children at that age need a more immediate response IMO. with my ds he got a handful (his size...so it was like 6) of m&m's everytime he used the potty. i would suggest rewarding him everytime he does well...not holding out until the end of the day. he is just too young to think that far ahead.
Old 07-22-2010, 09:17 AM   #7
GEM Cloth
Registered Users
Formerly: michellemomx3
seller

My Mood:

Take him to the bathroom at random times whether he says he has to go or not. My son was PT at 24 months and we still do this sometimes. He did have a phase a while back where he was having an accident every day (not a full blown one, just wet undies) so we just started taking him to the bathroom more often. We still don't wait for him to say he has to go every time.
GEM Cloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 09:26 AM   #8
Swimmingly
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I agree with the PP - a kid that age just does NOT understand waiting for a reward. DD still doesn't really get it and she is almost 3.
If you want to reward him for going potty you need an IMMEDIATE reward EVERY time. Some people do stickers, some people do little dollar store presents, some people do m&m's or other candy. We did candy.

I wouldn't punish for PL either. After DD had been peeing in the potty 100% of the time for MONTHS and STILL wouldn't poop in the potty I started telling her it made me sad when she wouldn't poop in the potty - and she felt TERRIBLE. I couldn't do that to her. I backtracked pretty quick. She eventually got it on her own.
Old 07-22-2010, 09:29 AM   #9
literacylaunchpad
Registered Users

Thanks for the help. It's just frustrating to leave him at Sunday School or something and always return to find he's had an accident. Last Sunday he had TWO accidents within an hour at Sunday School and we had to take home a pantsless (only in a sposie diaper) kiddo because we had only sent one change of clothes. I think this happens because he hasn't learned to communicate when he needs to go; we can just interpret the signs of when he needs to go, or we just send him from time to time. Feels more like we're the ones that are trained, not him. I guess that's how it starts though?

Old 07-22-2010, 09:31 AM   #10
MCR
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We did stickers for Ds#1, every time he peed he got to put on on his chart. It worked a treat. But once we stopped he peed his pants while playing cause he was too busy to stop. He finally stopped doing it when he was about 4