Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-22-2010, 10:18 AM   #11
beaute_marquee
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: How do I get this kid to stop peeing his pants???

I waited till DS was talking really well, and could pull up his undies and pants himself. We did a couple of days of naked time, and then it was underwear only when he was awake. He has just now (this has been going on for about two months) gotten to where he doesn't have any pee accidents during the day. When he had them, we said, "Where does peepee go?" And then we would say together, "In the potty!" Lots of praise for success goes a long way, too. Still no progress on poop, though

Advertisement

Old 07-22-2010, 10:30 AM   #12
frenchie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Honesty, it sounds like he just isn't ready momma. You can't go by what other kids are or are not doing at the same age. Yes, some kids can learn to use the potty quickly, but some can't. I started teaching DS to use the potty at age 2. He wasn't out of diapers until he was 2 yrs. 10 mos. I started teaching DD to use the potty at age 2. She JUST got out of diapers last week. She's 3 yrs. 3 mos. I tried everything with her. She wasn't going to stop using diapers until she was ready...period. I will admit to using bribery with her. She has been asking for her ears to be pierced for about 2 months. I finally told her about a week and a half ago, that she could have her ears pierced as soon as she stopped wearing diapers. She had a couple of accidents, but she has been out of diapers for a week and a half. She got her ears pierced 2 days ago, and I took her out to buy a new pack of big girl undies. Cute Paul Frank "day of the week" undies. She calls them her "monkey butts". At any rate, I would put him back in dipes and revisit the idea in a few months.
Old 07-22-2010, 12:41 PM   #13
nakedbabytoes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

You are essentially ECing him if it's all you watching for signs and he doesn't think to go himself. Which if you want to, there is nothing wrong with that. BUT until he "gets" it, it isn't really him PTing, it's you ECing him. Which if you choose to continue on with, you just deal with accidents as a given until he does "get it". If you can't do that, don't continue with ECing, you will only get frustrated and delay the actual PTing.

Last edited by nakedbabytoes; 07-22-2010 at 12:46 PM.
nakedbabytoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 03:00 PM   #14
me_just_me
Registered Users

My Mood:

Sounds like your little guy is actually doing pretty good! One accident a day isn't bad. It can be hard at that age for kids to stop what they are doing and go use the potty. My DD (almost 3) still occasionally has an accident when she is so involved with what she is playing with and doesn't want to stop to have to go potty. One thing that we did at home which helped with this was having a little potty in the room where she was playing. That way she could use the potty without having to really leave what she was playing with.

Also, at that age many kids start trying to see how long they can hold it before they HAVE to go. My DD did that. It was frustrating because you ask them if they need to go (while they are squirming) and they say no. Then a few minutes later there is a puddle. It is all about learning what their bodies are capable of.

As for Sunday school, we always told the teachers to take our DD at a specific time. She wouldn't always tell them if she needed to go so this worked out the best for us until she was comfortable telling them to take her. Sometimes she would pee other times not. Or you could go take him at specific times if that is easier on the teachers.

All in all, I wouldn't worry about it too much. The accidents will get less and less frequent as he masters this skill. It is frustrating while it is happening, but it won't last forever. Just keep having him help clean up the mess (like the second poster recommend) and reminding him that it is easier to just put the pee pee in the potty than it is to have to clean the mess up!
Old 07-22-2010, 03:49 PM   #15
OrganicGem
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

d

Last edited by OrganicGem; 10-09-2010 at 05:34 PM.
OrganicGem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 04:15 PM   #16
VinhThiMom
Vinh Thi Designs
Formerly: chrisnsteph1022
seller
seller

My Mood:

You sound like me...a year ago. And we're still working on it. She just turned 3 in July. We do a sticker chart, a quarter for a full day of staying dry, praise, cleaning up herself. It just isn't quite clicking. Accidents mainly happen outside the home because she hates public bathrooms.

VinhThiMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 04:40 PM   #17
corinne76
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We just started PL DD and she's 2.5. She communicates well so that's not a problem. She does still forget to go though. If she's busy playing, chances are, if i don't ask her if she has to pee, she will pee in her underwear. She also got a sticker every time the first few days (after that she didnt care for the stickers-they ended up on my floor. If she still wants them, seh can still have them). I give her one even if she starts peeing in her pants and finished on the potty.
I think having her clean up her mess would actually deter her and make her defiant, but then again, that's my kid. She's stubborn.

At 2, your DS just might not be ready. I know for a fact DD wasn't at that age.
Old 07-22-2010, 06:14 PM   #18
ajanele
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

He's not ready. Don't push it, you'll just frustrate yourself and your son. Give it another try in a month or two.

Both of my girls learned to use the potty in a day. They woke up, told me they wanted to use the potty, and that was it. They were both 2 1/2.

Remember, it's not a race. He'll do it on his own time.
Old 07-22-2010, 06:21 PM   #19
CherryPie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I would NOT put him back and diapers and I think he is def ready....one accident a day is good for a 24 month old! Just be patient, the younger PL ones tend to have more accidents but it is waayyy worth it to me then making them wait to 3. I rather deal with an accident here and there then full on diapers and stuff.

GetSafeScents.com- New Spring/Summer 2014 catalog is out!
Join Scentsy | Scentsy Closeout Section
Follow me on Instagram: @SarahB00)
CherryPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 11:05 PM   #20
leighi123
Banned
seller

My Mood:

When ds was first out of diapers (15months in the house, 17months out and about), I set the timer for 30min, and made him sit every 30min. When he was consistantly dry for a couple hours of doing that, we then went to every 45min, then every hour, etc (incresing time 15min at a time), and that helped a lot. Pretty soon he would hear the timer and run to the bathroom himself, and then got used to 'running to the potty to go'. The timer thing we only did for a couple days and he got the idea.

Also, I taught him the sign language for potty (he knew this by 10months, we did sorta EC, and lots of baby sign!), he still uses it when he has to go, and I will do the sign and he will sign back again if he has to go (like at library story time or something, instead of me yelling across the room 'you are dancing around, go potty already!')
leighi123 is offline   Reply With Quote