Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-22-2010, 11:16 PM   #21
an_aurora
Registered Users

Re: How do I get this kid to stop peeing his pants???

One accident a day is GREAT.

Advertisement

an_aurora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 12:26 AM   #22
literacylaunchpad
Registered Users
Formerly: acw1

Thanks for the great ideas and encouragement.

Today we went accident free. He was even dry when he got up this morning and when he got up from his nap. He drank a full cup of juice before nap and I just KNEW he would be wet when he got up (which doesn't bother me right now). But he told he had to go potty as soon as I went in his room to get him up and he was dry (LOTS of pee went in the potty)!

Tomorrow could be a totally different story, but I'll bask in the success of today for now.

We'll keep plugging away at it. I needed the perspective. Helps me not to stress too much about it. I felt like I was doing something wrong, because I'm surrounded by people who keep telling me about how their children potty trained instantly and then never had any accidents. SO not my son. But I'm gonna be OK with that.

literacylaunchpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 04:47 AM   #23
turtle2who
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I did what you are doing. My ds was aware of the pee and poo thing very early and at 2 we started Pl'ing. We thought he showed all the signs of being ready. It was a good year before we no longer had any potty issues-weeks where he just wet himself all the time- weeks where he wouldn't tell us he had to poo and he hid behind a chair and went in his pants, etc- and after that year he still had occasional accidents when he was having too much fun to stop.

Oh- if I had it to do all over again I would totally leave him alone until he was REALLY ready. Meaning- like some PP's kids he decided- no more diapers mom. I would totally just EC until he decided he wanted to be out of diapers. It really is a lot easier.

Ok- sorry but your post just took me back! My advice would be to invest in some good trainers that open at the sides (I loved GAD's- trim and absorbent enough to even use at night- technically diapers but elasticky waist allows them to be pulled on and off like undies.) Then just EC him- watch for his cues that he needs to go and bring him to the toilet- don't expect him to tell you, don't expect him to go himself, just say "time to pee" and pick him up and bring him to the toilet or a tree or whatever. If he wets, change him but don't say anything about it other than maybe- "oops,you're wet, let's put on some dry pants." If he's reliable dry at certain times, then put him in the thicker more underwear-like trainers (Gerber, etc) but don't get emotional when he has an oopsie- just help him get changed. When you go out or leave him with others- put him in trainers that won't allow his clothes or people's floors and furniture to get wet.

Then just relax and follow his lead when he's REALLY ready you'll know because it will be effortless! I have seen so many kids train this way- my nephew, friends kids, that I know this is the way I'd go if I had it to do again. Hope that helps!
Old 07-23-2010, 04:54 AM   #24
turtle2who
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCR View Post
We did stickers for Ds#1, every time he peed he got to put on on his chart. It worked a treat. But once we stopped he peed his pants while playing cause he was too busy to stop. He finally stopped doing it when he was about 4
Mine stopped that around age 4 too. He's 5 and I can finally say he never has daytime accidents any more.

My nephew on the other hand decided at age 3 that he was done with diapers and never had a daytime accident and even stayed dry all night most nights! **green with envy**
Old 07-23-2010, 06:46 AM   #25
DoubleH123
Registered Users

sounds like he's getting it pretty good! the main thing is, and I know this is the hardest part for me, is to not get frustrated with his accidents. sometimes they're so unpredictable, but if you get upset about it, it will pressure him more and make it more of an issue. For Sunday school, it may be a good idea to wear a diaper on him or at least have an extra set of clothes along - when he's with his friends and doing fun stuff will probably be the hardest time for him to remember to go. I always keep an extra pair of shorts and undies in the van in case he has an accident when we're out, and we have used them!
good luck to you and your son!
DoubleH123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 09:05 AM   #26
Sakari
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryPie View Post
I would NOT put him back and diapers and I think he is def ready....one accident a day is good for a 24 month old! Just be patient, the younger PL ones tend to have more accidents but it is waayyy worth it to me then making them wait to 3. I rather deal with an accident here and there then full on diapers and stuff.
ITA!

Putting him back in diapers or using diapers only when out will only confuse him, IMO. "When am I supposed to try to use the potty and when am I not?!" ya know? and then, too, it reeeaaallly puts the focus on the parent and the parent's agenda. It's not the parent's deal!! PT/PL/EC, aka all toileting experiences, are for the CHILD! (nobody does a happy dance when a teenager or adult goes in the toilet! it's expected - and they don't do it to make others happy - they do it because they want to!!)

Focus on the reason we use the toilet in the first place and that will help put all the frustration in perspective. Do YOU want him to use the potty? for your own agenda and timetable? Or do you want to help him help himself so that he stays cleaner, more comfortable and dry?? Also, help him understand that going in the toilet is actually faster (it is) and he can get back to playing sooner.

Offer and encourage toileting at "transition" times. Like before/after a meal, or getting in the car or between games or before/after waking or going to bed, etc etc etc. If you go during these times it's not so much 'having to stop playing' as it is just fitting pottying into daily life. Just like adults do.

There's a book I've heard recommended called "Diaper free before 3" that you might check into. There's also THIS thread.

I would stay away from treats and rewards - that again makes it the parent's deal. This is not about obeying and "doing right" or making mom happy. This is about learning to stay clean and dry and having more time for play! Let him listen to his own body. (not only that, but giving treats and making the kid think that this potty thing is just to please the parents gives them leverage. Out of curiosity, or spite, they can at any time Stop using the potty - just to see what will happen! What will our reaction be? But if all along the focus has been on them and their comfort, they won't have a reason to "test the reaction".)

oh, and, just keep in mind that this is a fairly new concept for him. For the last two years (his ONLY two years) - his ENTIRE life - peeing in his pants is what was the norm and is what was expected. I don't think *most* kids understand the need for sudden change, so it can turn into a battle of the wills pretty easily. We might think it's "gross" that they are so okay with peeing their pants - but in reality, it's what we've taught them for their whole life!

GL! Kids can TOTALLY be out of diapers earlier than they are in the US these days. You're doing great.

I sell Baltic Amber jewelry!
Sakari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 12:16 AM   #27
literacylaunchpad
Registered Users
Formerly: acw1

Another day accident free!

He even told me he had to pee when we were at one of those bouncy places today (Gasp!). Maybe it's starting to click?

I've just been gently reminding him to "put all his pee pee in the potty," and sending him to the potty before and after nap time and when we're leaving and coming home from somewhere.

literacylaunchpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 09:24 AM   #28
MCR
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle2who View Post
Mine stopped that around age 4 too. He's 5 and I can finally say he never has daytime accidents any more.

My nephew on the other hand decided at age 3 that he was done with diapers and never had a daytime accident and even stayed dry all night most nights! **green with envy**
It seems to be a popular age.
With the second child I didn't do anything, he pretty much potty trained himself, so did Dd, both around age 3. They both pooped in the potty around 2 but peeing just wasn't on their radar (mostly for Ds#2) so we stayed in diapers at night and trainers in the day for all the missed pee