Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-22-2010, 07:34 AM   #1
Dialectica
Registered Users

My Mood:
How much time do you spend playing with your kids?

I mean things like crafts, legos, and whatever else they want to do? I am not talking about facilitating a craft and then doing something else, or just watching them, but actually participating. What do you do, and do you enjoy it?

Just curious

Advertisement

Old 07-22-2010, 07:39 AM   #2
hilaryisinked
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: How much time do you spend playing with your kids?

DD is only 4 months old but I think I could interact with her more. She scoots around on the floor and plays with toys and I will get online. Not all day but maybe for a total of 2-3 hours every day she plays on the floor in front of me. If I'm cleaning, I put her in the Ergo so I can interact with her during those times but sometimes I just wanna sit on here for 30 minutes so on the floor with a toy she goes.
hilaryisinked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 08:23 AM   #3
foxygoober
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

2-3 hours daily . . .hubby does the cleaning
Old 07-22-2010, 08:49 AM   #4
pinknpurfect
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

A lot, and even the time I don't spend actutally playing I'm usually working in the same room they are in, we have an open floor plan so it is easy to do housework right near them. But I also stop a lot to do things with the kids. I play with the baby a lot she loves to balance and is already taking 3 steps at a time, I read to all 3, I help dress dolls and make their hair look nice, I play memory and other age appropriate games with them, I teach them how to glue of we do crafts I cut they glue, they also love it when I draw with them, they tell me what to draw and I draw it, another favorite thing to do is turn on music and dance. I also intereact with them a lot as I clean. They love helping me fold laundry and run back and forth putting theirs away for me, sometimes when they are playing in their room I'll go in their with them and reorganize their toys (they are all kept in small bins and get mixed up), and the baby is often in the ergo while I clean, lol.

And of yes I enjoy it. I love doing all the fun stuff, I hate the housework lol but it has to be done so I do it, but playing with my kids is what I love to do, I always say... In 20 years what I'm going to look back on is all the time I spent with my kids, I stay at home to be with them, so I try to make the most of it each day. Most nights I'm up until midnaght usually with the baby finishing up on the cleaning, I keep up with what I can during the day, but I need to take the time out to sit with the kids and take interest in what they are doing.
Jennifer, wife to Joel. Mother to 3 amazing girls: my adorable twins Justice and Juliette (8-07), and my cutie baby girl Jocelyn (9-09) We are a ing,ing, BFing, BWing family of 5 J's...soon to be 6 FSOT yarn and wool
pinknpurfect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 08:51 AM   #5
UnderTheStars
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I love playing with my daughter's Megabloks. In fact, I love it so much that I get annoyed when she takes MY blocks when I'm building something... I'm a kid, what can I say?

I probably spend two hours a day actually sitting down (or running around) playing with them. In the afternoon we color and work on letters, which I sit down and do with her. Right now it's harder, because my 8mo isn't mobile and doesn't like to sit and watch those sort of "boring" projects for too long.
Old 07-22-2010, 01:29 PM   #6
NSnewmom
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilaryisinked View Post
DD is only 4 months old but I think I could interact with her more. She scoots around on the floor and plays with toys and I will get online. Not all day but maybe for a total of 2-3 hours every day she plays on the floor in front of me. If I'm cleaning, I put her in the Ergo so I can interact with her during those times but sometimes I just wanna sit on here for 30 minutes so on the floor with a toy she goes.
I'm the same way. I feel bad about it sometimes, but I don't know what to do on the floor with him and I like having a bit of time to myself while he is playing.
Old 07-22-2010, 02:46 PM   #7
keysersoze
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We're usually out of the house in the mornings, either at a library story time, museum, zoo, hike, or playground. So, the whole time we're out of the house, I'm engaging with them. When we're home, most of the time I'm playing/reading with one or both of them. When my DW gets home in the late afternoon, she plays with them while I make dinner. It's a priority for both of us that the time we're with the kids, they're the focus of most of our attention. I love being at home with my kids; it's the whole reason I'm a SAHD.
Old 07-23-2010, 08:57 PM   #8
Bethan_77
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Not sure but not enough. I swear I have spent more time on the phone with my insurance company this week instead of playing with dd. We moved recently though, so it is temporary.
Old 07-23-2010, 09:21 PM   #9
NorahsMom
Registered Users
seller

I'll be the first to admit that I don't always LOVE playing with dd. The poor girl asks me to play with her and sometimes it feels like work because I'm not and have never been very good at/comfortable with make-believe play (she loves to play puppets--with the puppets I made for her because I strongly believe in make-believe play, I'm just not good at it). I do like building things with blocks, playing board games with her, drawing and coloring. I should probably play with her more. I'd say it's about an hour a day, tops.

ETA: Unless I get to count things like going for walks or to the park or other outtings. Then it's a bit more, because we do those things 3 -4 times a week.

Last edited by NorahsMom; 07-23-2010 at 09:22 PM.
NorahsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 09:47 PM   #10
Jewelgurl137
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I try to play with my kiddos as much as possible. I know it isn't enough, but I do try to do it as much as I can. Right now I have a sick baby which takes time away from my older 2, but we do have fun still. Typically we will have picnics inside (on the floor), movie times, game times, and when I clean I try to include them like folding clothes with me or putting their own away while I finish folding or my washing dishes while we sing and they will sometimes dry them. We dance alot too when cleaning, which is probably a funny sight. I dunno how long we play together though, since really I only am away from them for 2 hours a day really while they nap (quiet time usually lately actually) during baby's naptime, so I get a little bit of alone time. ((SIGH)) I need that time for me.