Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-22-2010, 05:05 PM   #1
Vie.en.Rose
Registered Users
Formerly: **le3*
seller
seller

Need some tips!

Do any of you resourceful moms know how to get their baby to stop grabbing their poop during diaper changes? My six-month-old thinks it's the funniest thing in the world, but oh so unsanitary...

Advertisement

Like Swagbucks? Give Gifthulk a try!
Vie.en.Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 05:58 PM   #2
kkalltheway
Registered Users

Re: Need some tips!

ugh! Mine is 2 and a half and still does this! Drives me crazy. Driving cross country once she got to the side of her diaper and got it all over the door and carseat. SO NASTY! I dont have any suggestions being as Im in the same boat but I feel your pain mama!
Old 07-22-2010, 06:28 PM   #3
Vie.en.Rose
Registered Users
seller
seller

LOL, I'm so glad I'm not alone! I know once she gets her fingers dirty, their next stop will be her mouth! It's challenging to hold her hands in one hand and clean her up with the other, but I'm learning!

Old 07-22-2010, 06:53 PM   #4
bezark
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I change DS on the bed or the floor when he's pooped. My secret? I pin his shoulders/arms down with my feet.
Old 07-22-2010, 08:56 PM   #5
me_just_me
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bezark View Post
I change DS on the bed or the floor when he's pooped. My secret? I pin his shoulders/arms down with my feet.

Yep! We EC, so I don't deal with many poops, but when they do happen, this is what we do!
Old 07-22-2010, 09:49 PM   #6
teal
Registered Users

I put DS on a diaper mat on the floor for changes and have the new dipe and wipes ready and accessible by a single hand. I lift by the ankles with one hand and use the other to take the front of the diaper and wipe towards the back, folding it closed with poop inside. Still holding ankles, I leave the dipe folded so DS can't get his hands into the poop, move it out of range, grab the wipes and wipe up, then get the new one in place.

Even with him being super squirmy and having loose stool to boot, as long as I get that initial front to back wipe, fold and move executed, I can manage to restrain him long enough to clean him up in other positions having removed the bulk of the poop with the dipe.

ETA: I did try that arm restraint with feet move after reading about it on here a while back but it really agitates and upsets DS and he becomes almost unmanageable (he's always been funny about having his arms restrained, right from the get-go), so I've settled on the method above.

Last edited by teal; 07-22-2010 at 09:52 PM.
teal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 06:45 AM   #7
nakedbabytoes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I change kids from the side(like you would on a changing table) not that I have one, mind you. With my left hand, I grab their feet so their knees are out, like a frog, and with my forearm being against their chest, they can't reach down. Then my right hand does the wiping.
Plus, I'm very fast at diaper changes. That helps too. I've changed multiple kids' diapers(like I have 3 in dipes now, at my busiest point I had 8 in dipes) over a 9 year period. I'm a professional butt wiper!

Last edited by nakedbabytoes; 07-23-2010 at 06:47 AM.
nakedbabytoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 09:20 AM   #8
mama23boyz
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I give ds something to hold/play w/ when I'm changing him.
Old 07-23-2010, 10:14 AM   #9
sustone
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I give her a "forbidden item" like a flashlight or ointment or nail clippers. Soemthing she can not have otherwise to play with while I change her. It works for us most of the time!!
married to my best friend and high school sweetheart for 7 yrs. SAHM to Madison(8 going on 18), Lilian- 18 months, our miracle born in March 09 after 3 yrs TTC with fertility treatments and IVF and FET, conceived while we took a "break", and Logan (8/11/2010)- my induced no pain med labor-OMG!!! Always remembering Tim......Working very PT as a float pool RN and loving my happily ever after.....
sustone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 10:19 AM   #10
Vie.en.Rose
Registered Users
seller
seller

Lol, no one ever warned me that having a baby would be a perpetual wrestling match!