Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-23-2010, 02:17 PM   #11
AnnaG01
Registered Users
seller

Re: Talk to me about your child's spiritual/religious upbringing

I was raised Conservative Christian. When I got older I thought I just believed because of the way I was raised, I didn't feel a personal relationship with God like Christians claimed to have. I didn't know if I believed, didn't know where I would go when I died, etc...

Then we joined a church we loved a non-denominational church as our adult life and slowly a lot of questions I had were answerd...like even dumb things I would want to know:

why were dinosaurs not explained in the Bible?
http://www.clarifyingchristianity.com/dinos.shtml

Why could men have more than one wife?
http://www.gotquestions.org/polygamy.html

How did Adam & Eve populate the world?
http://bible.org/question/was-world-...s-adam-and-eve

How did people get to heaven before Jesus died on the cross? How do people who don't know God get to heaven? Why do good people who don't believe go to hell? How do people in 3rd world countries that have no access to God get to heaven? Is Jesus really who he says he is...

I am a "prove it to me" kind of girl, and I need real facts. I found all the answers I was looking for and more. I started with this:

http://www.leestrobel.com/channels/CFChrist.php

Advertisement

Riley (6), Skyler (4) , Payton (2) & our new baby Quinn Mackenzie My Blog
AnnaG01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 06:02 PM   #12
sukhayogi
Registered Users

My Mood:

I was raised in a UU church and loved it! I have very warm and happy feelings toward the church I grew up in and the minister who was there my whole life but retired 7 years ago, even married my DH and me

I would like to attend a UU church when my LO's are older. GL finding a church you like!
Old 07-23-2010, 08:47 PM   #13
Bethan_77
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I was raised UCC but my parents were pretty much Unitarian in their thought, action, etc.

Today...I'm a catholic adult convert, pretty conservative. dh is a catholic revert. Kids are being raised catholic

My parents are evangelicals today--interestingly, under the same pastor, same church, same community...their community left the ucc and became bible-based. My parents got more religious when my dad got sick a few years ago.

My sister and her husband pretty much have no religion now.

I personally am not a big fan of Unitarianism. Dh was a Unitarian for many years, and was actually in Unitarian seminary. Historically the church is much different than it is today. From what I have read most Unitarians come in as adults, few adult members were raised Unitarian. My sil, a Unitarian, commented that the kids learn about everyone elses religion, but little about their own. It's a shame because Unitarianism has such history in this country, especially in the east.

If you are looking for a church, look at what they believe, what they teach, and how they live it. I doubt you will find something that you agree with 100%.