Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-24-2010, 09:09 AM   #1
n3w2cl0th
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Nitrous Oxide?!

I feel terrible...I took my boys to the dentist for the first time yesterday...they are 4 and 2...they both screamed bloody blue murder and had to be restrained for the cleaning...good news for the baby, no cavities everything looked good...they aren't concerned about his crooked teeth... BAD News for my 4 yr old. 2 cavities in his bottom molars, 2nd to the back...and they want to watch the 4 extreme rear molars (2 on top and bottom) because they worry about those ones getting cavities...my 4 yr old has extremely deep groves on his biting surfaces and thats where the cavities are...we go back on 8/6 for the fillings...they said they dont do GA,..they do Nitrous Oxide....has anyone had this with their child? Does it work? how does the child respond...I am terrified for my boy...the simple act of getting xrays and cleaning his teeth was traumatic enough for him...he screamed and flailed and cried the whole time...and then last night told me he didn't like the dentist... I feel so bad! we try SOO hard to keep his teeth clean, because MINE are such a mess I didnt want him to have to go through this...

Advertisement

Old 07-24-2010, 10:26 AM   #2
Fither
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Nitrous Oxide?!

yes we've had nitrous for both my 4.5 y/o and my 2.5 y/o so they could get fillings. it wasn't bad at all, especially for my older son. he just sat back, watched the television on the ceiling and then they put on the "nose" (looks like a red clown nose sort of and it's scented in their choice of scent) and he just chilled out with the nitrous for a few minutes and they were able to get started. it was 100% not traumatic and he got the two fillings he needed.

my younger son didn't want to wear the nose, but with my husband's encouragement he put it on. he did continue to cry throughout the procedure but he didn't kick or flail, so i know the nitrous helped him too.

i know, it's scary. are you taking him to a pediatric dentist? our pediatric dentist is a long time friend (grew up with my husband) and her entire office is so kid friendly. it really helps i think!
Fither is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 10:53 AM   #3
n3w2cl0th
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

thank you...yes we are seeing a pediatric dentist...its actually a rather large place...and they are very kid friendly...called Kool Smiles... they have signs that say they really prefer parents dont come with the kids, but they do let you...and they were very understanding when I told them...my kids FREAK around strangers and doctors...they eventually had to take my oldest to a back room,...because he was screaming and thrashing so badly I think they were afraid he would scare the other children... I think its going to be a very exhausting day for us....I already took the day off from work, because I know he will need the extra comfort for the rest of the day... oh this stinks... I really feel bad! Are cavities common in children this young? I have terribly back teeth because we were so poor when I grew up I dont think I saw a dentist until I had most of my permanent teeth...and even then it was few and far between...I remember every visit involved fillings...so it really colored my opinion and feelings with dentists...and I dont want my children to be afraid of the dentist like I am... so I put on my brave face and try to make it easy for them...but they were not having it!
Old 07-24-2010, 11:09 AM   #4
KristieMcNealy
Registered Users

My Mood:

Yeah, it's pretty common, especially with the deep grooves you describe in his teeth. I had a lot of cavities for the same reasons. Our kids' dentist puts sealant on the biting surface of all permanent molars as they come in to prevent cavities in their adult teeth.

Blogging about women's and children's health at http://www.kristiemcnealy.com
KristieMcNealy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 12:03 PM   #5
MCR
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Ds was 5 when he had a bunch of cavities filled and they used Nitrous oxide, he has no memory what so ever. I stayed right by his side holding his hand and the baby was in the stroller next to me. Tough luck if they preferred me not there, I was the one who was telling Ds not to move, open wider etc etc and he followed all my directions too. It went really well.
Old 07-24-2010, 12:47 PM   #6
n3w2cl0th
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I want to be with him when he goes...I worry about how he is going to respond though...they said they will use a papoose if they need to...and I told them 2 yrs ago he had to be put in a papoose in the ER...he had a pencil in his foot...and he GOT OUT OF IT. My child is extremely strong and even more so when frightened...can they give him enough that he won't struggle? I worry they will end up drilling the poor things face!
Old 07-24-2010, 06:57 PM   #7
LadyofReason
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I don't use a dentist that does any sort of restraint, or lets the visit proceed with the kid kicking and screaming. We did that once with my DD2 and swore never again. We found a truly kid friendly place and used it. No crying, no stress. They were willing to do everything at her pace and with her comfy.
Old 07-24-2010, 08:42 PM   #8
MCR
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by n3w2cl0th View Post
I want to be with him when he goes...I worry about how he is going to respond though...they said they will use a papoose if they need to...and I told them 2 yrs ago he had to be put in a papoose in the ER...he had a pencil in his foot...and he GOT OUT OF IT. My child is extremely strong and even more so when frightened...can they give him enough that he won't struggle? I worry they will end up drilling the poor things face!
I don't and won't let anyone restrain my kids, ever.
If it isn't a life threatening emergency (Where treatment is needed immediately to save life or limb) then it will just take longer with nitrous while he is spoken too with respect while the work is done, he isn't an animal who needs to be tied up. Even I would try to escape that, the binding makes me panic and I'm an adult.
Maybe you should find a dentist who will work with you or use a GA ours wasn't a ped dentist just a family practice.
Old 07-24-2010, 10:06 PM   #9
mama23boyz
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Cool Smiles is pretty much a Medicaid "dental mill" like Smalls Smiles. In fact, it was started by two dentists that used to be w/ Small Smiles. I would check around to see if there are any other family/pediatric dentists in your area that take Medicaid and get a second opinion. They are known to perform unnecessary dental work for Medicaid $$. These places are all about get em in, get em out and make a quick buck. That is why they restrain them. How long did the dentist spend w/ your children getting on their level, talking to them, making sure they were comfortable in their environment before restraining them? I have S.C Medicaid and was able to find a great pediatric dentist.
Old 07-24-2010, 10:50 PM   #10
andrea0324
Registered Users

My Mood:

I think our kiddos are cut from the same mold. *NO* amount of chit-chat beforehand will make mine comfortable! They've been going to the dentist regularly since they were 18mo and it's still high drama every time. We've been to a super-great kiddo place as well as a family practice...same results.

As for the nitrous and papoose, my younger DD has had both. She had a chipped tooth that ended up needing to be pulled because despite an immediate trip to the dentist, it got a serious infection. She doesn't remember the procedure (she was 2), just the prize she got at the end of it! I trusted my dentist and allowed him to us the nitrous and papoose...although it was upsetting for both of us (although as I said, she doesn't remember now) it was also important for her safety.

I have a hygienist in my family. She says the reason dentists sometimes prefer to see kids without parents is that parents sometimes help too much. If parents aren't there, the kiddos listen to the dentist better. I follow my kids' leads. Sometimes they're comfortable with me stepping back a few steps, other times I have to hold them on my lap.

In the long run, it's important that your son gets the fillings. Find a dentist you trust and follow your gut, mama!

I blog! Stop on by! www.northernlightsmama.blogspot.com
andrea0324 is offline   Reply With Quote