Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-25-2010, 07:28 AM   #11
n3w2cl0th
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Nitrous Oxide?!

as much as I dont like the idea of restraints I know for my child it is necessary...no amount of talking to him and being calm and reassuring works when hes set his mind that he doesnt like something... I dont think putting him in a papoose is treating him like an animal either...its for his safety... my children BOTh thrashed like I was killing them for the first 6 mos we started brushing their teeth....they werent too keen on the cloth in their mouths either ...we have been brushing their teeth since the first tooth came in for both of them...they dont like having stuff in their mouths...and my oldest freaks out at every doctors appointment too...so I know no matter WHO sees my child he will have to be restrained...and yes...a cavity CAN become a life threatening condition...cavities can lead to infections and abcesses in the mouth....and result in the tooth needing to be removed...I would rather get this taken care of now...

As for medicaid...we dont have that...we have a tiny little dental insurance through my job called Companion Life...its terrible. Very few dentists will file with them because they are such a pain, and this was the only pediatric dentist I could find up here who would file it...

Im not too happy about this whole process...but I just wanted to know if anyone had experience with the NO and how it went...thanks for the responses ladies...

Advertisement

Old 07-25-2010, 12:12 PM   #12
sugacube
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by n3w2cl0th View Post
as much as I dont like the idea of restraints I know for my child it is necessary...no amount of talking to him and being calm and reassuring works when hes set his mind that he doesnt like something... I dont think putting him in a papoose is treating him like an animal either...its for his safety... my children BOTh thrashed like I was killing them for the first 6 mos we started brushing their teeth....they werent too keen on the cloth in their mouths either ...we have been brushing their teeth since the first tooth came in for both of them...they dont like having stuff in their mouths...and my oldest freaks out at every doctors appointment too...so I know no matter WHO sees my child he will have to be restrained...and yes...a cavity CAN become a life threatening condition...cavities can lead to infections and abcesses in the mouth....and result in the tooth needing to be removed...I would rather get this taken care of now...

As for medicaid...we dont have that...we have a tiny little dental insurance through my job called Companion Life...its terrible. Very few dentists will file with them because they are such a pain, and this was the only pediatric dentist I could find up here who would file it...

Im not too happy about this whole process...but I just wanted to know if anyone had experience with the NO and how it went...thanks for the responses ladies...
I know it has been said that no amount of chitchat before hand will help, but I really think that a prepared child handles things better. If he knows why he needs it and how its going to happen I think he would have a better chance of being calm. My DD loves taking care of her teeth, and does really well with the dentist. I've always told her that the dentist is there to help keep her teeth clean and healthy and beautiful. Same with DRS, they are there to help keep her healthy, and make her better when she is sick! I hope it goes positive for you guys, either way! I really don't know about restraints, I think that would cause very bad negative stuff with dentist down the road! Honestly I do. If you can get him to consent willingly, and go from there, it would be better I think. And I would never leave my child alone that young, no way!
Old 07-25-2010, 12:15 PM   #13
sugacube
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Oh and I would use the NO, I think it is considered safe for children!
Old 07-25-2010, 01:22 PM   #14
AVDesigns
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

DS is 4 and he had a cavity filled a few weeks ago. He did super..never cried once. so we went back a couple weeks later and he felt the shot right at first and it was all over after that. He wouldn't let the dentist try again. I'm going to use the NO on him next time and see if that makes it better. I take my kids to the dentist I work for...general dentistry..not pediatric. But DD2 had to be papoosed when she was 2. The enamel didn't form on one of her teeth and they had to cap it so it didn't get a cavity in it. I knew that it would decay easily and quickly and I was okay with them papoosing her. She was given an oral sedation as well and she doesn't remember any of it. That was at a pediatric office.
Old 07-25-2010, 02:41 PM   #15
VinhThiMom
Vinh Thi Designs
Formerly: chrisnsteph1022
seller
seller

My Mood:

DS (4) went to the dentist Friday for crowns. They did the conscious sedation, then the NO. He doesn't remember any of it. But boy, he sure is sore now and keeps saying he doesn't want to go to the dentist anymore. Unfortunately, they weren't able to do all of them and we have to go back next week for more. I wasn't back there for the procedure, but they said he did great.

VinhThiMom is offline   Reply With Quote