Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-24-2010, 08:04 PM   #11
momofdolls
Registered
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Are my kids the only kids that destroy everything?

Nope.... In my last house, my 3 year old decorated the walls with a bingo dobber, my 7 yo would throw pizza on the ceiling when the sitter was there. The got something on the dining room walls, and the walls were plaster. Colored on the bedroom walls, etc. It does definitely seem to be more my boys than my girls. Just last week my two boys were fighting and knocked a shelf off the wall. On it were my dishes from my great grandmother, the wine glasses from our wedding, a dish from our wedding that had a quote on it, my sugar bowl and creamer, a milk glass vase and a scottish wedding bell....only 2 things made it - the shelf and the wedding bell. But the shelf also jacked one of our just put down floor tiles. I wanted to KILL them both...and almost did. They spent the whole stinking day in their rooms.

Also, my 15 yo autistic son decapitated all his younger brothers' action figures....so they don't have many toys, either.

Advertisement

Old 07-24-2010, 08:08 PM   #12
Mom2BabiesA&I
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

DS took the trim down off his window during nap time and then started peeling the sheetrock away that was under it...what floors me is he managed to do it SILENTLY. I thought hew as napping as he was suppose to be.
Old 07-24-2010, 08:20 PM   #13
Fither
Registered Users
seller
seller

no, you're definitely not alone. my kids love to destroy stuff, as in, i think they purposely come up with new ways to thoroughly and completely destroy as many things as possible in the shortest amount of time. like it's a game.

i hate that game.
Fither is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 08:28 PM   #14
momofdolls
Registered
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fither View Post

i hate that game.
Me, too.
Old 07-25-2010, 02:35 AM   #15
suzyq010104
Registered Users

My son destroys things all the time, but our biggest problem is him taking things apart. Two months ago he found his fathers rock band guitar and then proceeded to switch around the buttons to tease his dad. Last month I went in his bedroom to get him up from his nap and he had taken apart his wooden toddler bed. We have to be careful to hide all the screwdrivers in the house otherwise he unscrews things.
suzyq010104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 02:47 AM   #16
jujusmommy
Registered Users
Formerly: catherine**ne

My Mood:

In the 2 minutes it took me to carry the groceries in a few months ago, my 2 year old decorated our carpet with permanent marker. As soon as I saw it I ran to my computer and googled how to get permanent marker out of carpet. I used a WHOLE bottle of rubbing alcohol and it came out. Word of advice, always keep at least one bottle of rubbing alcohol in your house! (we rent so I was freaking out). She has also taken marker to my bedding---only it was only her dad's side and his pillow. He had just went back to work after some time off (it washed out as it was scrapbooking marker).

Although I do try and control DD, she is a bit of a wild child. We do everything we can, but she is so quick and smart...and daring! At just over a year old she was climbing on top of my couch to pull the pictures off the walls!
Old 07-25-2010, 02:50 AM   #17
jujusmommy
Registered Users
Formerly: catherine**ne

My Mood:

Oh and the latest...we were home visiting my parents and while my mom was out DD picked up my grandma's (my mom's mom who is deceased) wooden duck and when I asked for it back she hurled it across the kitchen. It still makes me sad and upset. I have no clue what made her think that was ok. She knew after she did it that she was in big trouble. Part of me is mad at my mom though because I have asked her to child proof her house more. We only visit once or twice a year and I don't think it would be that hard to put the breakables up for a week or two.
Old 07-25-2010, 03:35 AM   #18
paper_girl_76
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

oh boy, I've only got one who is like that. Consequences have no effect on him whatsoever. My girls are angels!
Old 07-25-2010, 07:13 AM   #19
AniBee
Registered Users
seller

Thanks for the thread...I needed it, hehe.

DS will be 2 in two weeks & although I don't feel he is a terror or even breaks things/ruins things purposefully, it's still HARD.

He's broken a porcelain bird figurine that was a gift from a friend, snapped pieces of fragile wood off of an antique art deco cabinet, pushed my laptop onto the floor several times [once it needed repair], put dents in the baseboards in his room from trying to rock in his rocking chair, burned a hole in a week old area rug when he knocked over & broke a lamp...not to mention the sad, sad state of my gorgeous sofa that we bought mere months before he was born. It's taupe & is now a stained mess. It's getting a good upholstery cleaning soon.

I absolutely LOATHE when people say "he's bored", "he's not getting enough attention", "he doesn't have consequences for his actions"...none of the above statements are true in our case. He's simply a very inquisitive boy that doesn't understand what damage his actions are causing & as for discipline, it does nothing, no matter how consistent we are.

I'm just praying that this phase passes.
AniBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 07:47 AM   #20
Rockinmama24
Registered Users

My Mood:

Yup I've got some of those kids. My 2nd DD has colored on the walls, tore off all the wall border, put holes in the walls, colored my grandmothers grandfather clock, stained my aunts patio tile with hi lighter (I told my aunt not to let her have it), broke an old worlds fair cup. I could go on. Consequences mean nothing to her. Those were when she was little but she still breaks things from time to time.