Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-31-2006, 01:39 PM   #11
Lucky Child
AKA The Evil Twin
Formerly: rrandle
seller

My Mood:
Re: pre-school

ok

Advertisement

Old 05-31-2006, 01:44 PM   #12
SheilaJoy
I grow people
seller

Last edited by SheilaJoy; 05-31-2006 at 03:50 PM.
SheilaJoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 01:53 PM   #13
hfitz5051
Let the rabbits wear glasses!
seller

My Mood:

The pre-k program here starts at 4. They have to be 4 by the beginning of sept. So, Morgan went last year. But Madi can't go this year yet, since she'll be 4 at the end of Sept. It was a program for low income families, so we didn't have to pay and she got(IMO) the best preschooling I could have asked for!
Old 05-31-2006, 01:55 PM   #14
lovemygirls
Registered Users
seller

thanks Heather!!!

Ginger
lovemygirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 01:57 PM   #15
MilkOnDemand
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiveblessings
We homeschool, so we don't do preschool at all. Often, I think it does more harm than good.

I'm just curious upon what credentials or studies you base that statement upon. Good for you if you homeschool. Do you want a cookie? Do you want us to say - Wow, that mom is so much better than I am? - because we don't think that.

Last edited by MilkOnDemand; 05-31-2006 at 02:00 PM.
MilkOnDemand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 02:02 PM   #16
Lucky Child
AKA The Evil Twin
Formerly: rrandle
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiveblessings
And BY THE WAY, she ASKED me a question so that rude public attack was completely unwarranted as I did not hijack the thread by answering the question! Unbelievable.
This is a true statement. I am very sorry if what I said came off as rude. I didn't mean to be rude to you. Please accept my apologies.
Old 05-31-2006, 02:02 PM   #17
MilkOnDemand
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemygirls
at what age do kids normally start preschool? just wondering. my dd will be 2 in August, and if they start at the age of 3 I'm going to have to start looking around from time to time at the preschools.

ETA: where do I even find pre-schools for my dd?

3 or 4 is pretty normal, I think 2 years before they will start school is sufficient. I think anywhere you look should have 1/2 day preschool, 1/2 day play. No more than 3-4 hours a couple of times a week will help them get the basics and learn to interact with their peers through play. Of course, preschool isn't necessary, but it really can be a fun experience for you and your child!
MilkOnDemand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 02:04 PM   #18
lovemygirls
Registered Users
seller

thank you Tara!!!

Ginger
lovemygirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 02:13 PM   #19
SheilaJoy
I grow people
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilkOnDemand
I'm just curious upon what credentials or studies you base that statement upon. Good for you if you homeschool. Do you want a cookie? Do you want us to say - Wow, that mom is so much better than I am? - because we don't think that.
I just wanted to clear up my original reason for posting this, as I think it has been misunderstood.
Not at all do I think I'm a better mother than those who don't homeschool. I wasn't sure Ginger was aware that preschool is not mandatory. I did not intend to put down her parenting or schooling choices. I was just mentioning that I do not, and it is not absolutely necessary.
I know I said I wouldn't post again, but I wanted to clear up my original statement.
SheilaJoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 02:13 PM   #20
wmama
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Good for you if you homeschool. Do you want a cookie? Do you want us to say - Wow, that mom is so much better than I am?
I don't see where this comes from. Her original response didn't leave that impression at all-it was a statement of fact. She homeschools and they don't do preschool. When my first child was 2, I started having everyone ask me where I was sending her to preschool, which I had no idea so many started at that age, and it would have been helpful to me at that time if someone had said, "Oh, and you don't *have* to send her to preschool. We don't, and it's worked great for us".

It's like cd'ing--if a new mom asked you which brand of disposable diaper you like best, and you replied, "We don't actually use disposables. We use only cloth, and I've found I like them better" (and you might even add for reasons x, y and z). Would that mean you want a prize??

ETA: I posted at the same time as Sheila. She said it much more diplomatically than I did .

Last edited by wmama; 05-31-2006 at 02:15 PM.
wmama is offline   Reply With Quote