Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-31-2006, 02:17 PM   #21
smugsmilz
Registered Users

Re: pre-school

Depends on the preschool and the child. I think three is a good age to start if your child is ready.

You might just check the student/teacher ratios when checking out the school and if you have the chance, spend time talking to the teacher to see what their goals are for their class.

I think your DC would really enjoy themselves given the right school enviroment. It can be a great experience. (of course Im bias as a former preschool teacher )

Good luck!

Advertisement

smugsmilz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 02:19 PM   #22
SandyG
Moderator at heart, but no longer moderator
The best way I know of to win an argument is to start by being in the right
seller

ok to the question. here in FL they can start at 4 in PS.
david is going to a special program becuase of his delay.
i did want to HS but becuase of his apraxia i decided against it. i just moved here and i dont know anybody so its good he has some interaction with peers. he is going to go to summer shool though to help withhis speech.
iknow youdidnt ask all of this but im a blabber mouth. LOL

ok now happy thougths happy thoughts. iwont moon you as i got my ugly undies
SandyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 02:20 PM   #23
stephdpn
Registered Users
seller

3 or 4 is pretty normal around here, my DD started at a church Mother's Day Out when she was 18 months old and it was really great for her - she learned lots of social skills that she never would have learned at home alone with me - like sitting at a table to eat, walking in line, taking turns with other children, etc...she went to 3yo preschool this year and will go to 4 year old preschool next year. I pay about $125 a month for preschool, which is for 3 days, 3 hours a day.

I think if you aren't planning on homeschooling that preschool is pretty important (at least 4yr PS) because it helps teach kids what to expect and what is expected of them in a school environment. Kindergarten will be an easier transition. Preschool is also a great place for kids to be evaluated, lots of learning disabilities can be caught and behavioral issues can be dealt with in preschool. Lots of parents don't realize (esp in their first child) that their child has a delay or a speech issue (or a thousand other things) until they see them around kids of their own age.

And, Rachel, your post wasn't rude at all...the statement that "preschool can do more harm than good" was rude to all of us who choose to send our children to preschool. AND as a educated professional in the early childhood education field (I have a BSed, so it's not just that I have personal experience), I find it to be WAY off base. If you choose to homeschool, that is fine, but children don't just learn hitting, teasing, name calling, etc at preschool, they can just as well learn it from siblings at home, or friends in the neighborhood, kids at church, etc. That is just a weak argument. The preschool that I work at (and will be interim director of in the fall) has a very strict behavior policy - proper behavior is one of the most important things we teach our preschoolers. Name calling, teasing, etc, is NOT tolerated in our classrooms and I doubt is tolerated in many preschools.

I am going back to work in the fall at a preschool, not because I need to, but because I LOVE LOVE LOVE working with preschoolers and their parents. SO, to the OP - check out all your options and do your homework - I am sure there is a preschool out there for you!
Old 05-31-2006, 02:24 PM   #24
MamaJenn
Banned

My Mood:

Well EJ didnt go to preschool as we couldnt afford it..but Brianna did go to HeadStart/Preschool and it was wonderful! she started at 3-4 years old!
MamaJenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 02:32 PM   #25
keegans_mommy
I had the CD wagon impounded!
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilkOnDemand
I'm just curious upon what credentials or studies you base that statement upon. Good for you if you homeschool. Do you want a cookie? Do you want us to say - Wow, that mom is so much better than I am? - because we don't think that.
I want a cookie LOL

Ok, in all seriousness: she said that "she THINKS" and that isn't to be taken as Biblical truth. She also never once said that she was a better mom than anybody else on this board. She just stated her own opinion and everybody who has read this or posted to this thread has an opinion.

I would post mine but after the mud slinging in this thread, I will refrain. I am scared to do so.
Old 05-31-2006, 02:32 PM   #26
OneFabMama
Cause Thats How I Roll
seller

My Mood:

Hmmmmm. ya know I dont even what it is here - I should PROBABLY look into it. Even though Riley is 1 hehe I definitley want her in private school though. So many decisions huh?!?!
Good luck in finding a good school for her.
Old 05-31-2006, 02:42 PM   #27
comfybuns
Registered Users
seller

We sent Isaak this year to 1/2 day nursery school. He was reeeeaalllly ready and so social! He absolutely thrived in the classroom environment. Marshall wll be 3 in August, he is less social and not at alll ready so I will be holding out with him.
The school Isaak went to this year was $239 a mos for part time $290 for full time.
The school he will go to next year and all my children will stay at until they completes 8th grade is a tiny bit more. Preschools are not created equal. You will need to see what you would like in a program. Do you want a play based environment or do you want a curriculum based program? Small group, large group, religious? etc

5blessings...While parents and siblings are great for children to have, preschool affords children the unique opportunity of belonging to a group. They aquire many social skills that can't occur at home, they learn about seperation from their family in a nurturing and exciting environment. My children have love and support at home and learn many skills here they also have that at school. I feel that they have TWO schools and many teachers between our home and our school (where i am also very involved).
Old 05-31-2006, 02:43 PM   #28
Namaste

Peace To All Who Enter
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

I could in no way homeschool and I give my hats off to those who have the patience. I love my dd, but there are times when I need my space as well.

Hugs to all.

BTW, some states migh have state-funded ps. Ours does not. DD#1 had so very much fun in all of the programs. Yes, they teach ABCs, but I think she had more fun than learning - kwim?
Old 05-31-2006, 02:45 PM   #29
Shannon
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Aspen is starting preschool this August for the first time. She starts on August 21 and turns 4 on Sept 7. She got a wierd birthday when it comes to school. She is the smartest little girl but has to pretty much be held back a year because of her birthday...makes me sad because she is so looking forward to preschool and is beyond ready for it. So she will go into the 4 year old program and be 5 and then start kindergarden at 6

FWIW~ I think Preschool is a great opportunity for my child. She dosn't have any kids in the neighborhood and doesn't get a lot of chances to interact with others her age besides church. I would have gotten her in last year but I couldn't afford it...I still cant..LOL It's gonna be $60 a WEEK.

You can look up schools/preschools in your local phonebook. Also you can call a local DHS service and they will give you some preschools that they back. Also other moms opinions are pretty important to me as well. If soemone has had a bad experience somewhere I don't want to go there...KWIM?

Good luck!

Marrying my wonderful Fiancee' Rodney on 6/26/20010
[/COLOR]Expecting to TTC in July 2010
Shannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 02:52 PM   #30
keegans_mommy
I had the CD wagon impounded!
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfybuns
5blessings...While parents and siblings are great for children to have, preschool affords children the unique opportunity of belonging to a group. They aquire many social skills that can't occur at home, they learn about seperation from their family in a nurturing and exciting environment. My children have love and support at home and learn many skills here they also have that at school. I feel that they have TWO schools and many teachers between our home and our school (where i am also very involved).
I don't have an extensive experience homeschooling but I have done it for about 6 months when Tiffany was in the 1st grade and I did so for those 2 pre-school years before kindegarten as we just couldn't afford it.

Now, I joined a HUGE on-line group for the Northern VA area, where you can have your child/ren join in o extra curricular activities like we did. I had Tiffany enrolled in Spanish and Swimming and then we took tons of field trips as we live in the DC area. We visited tons of areas and had tons of homeschool "play dates" where the kids could envolve themselves in free play on the playground equipment and join in on a game of soccor or other sport.

Home school children are NOT isolated to say the least but it is a great endeavor, and a very commited decision to homeschool.

Hats off to Sheila for doing so and kudo's for her taking care of her family in the way she feels is best for them. I am sure she is not trying to downplay public schools for everybody else as it takes a truly special person to homeschool.

I tried it and I found it's NOT for me and my family. I am not dedicated enough.