Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-10-2010, 12:10 AM   #1
novemberlily
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Anyone else have a strong headed baby under 1??

My DD is days away from the 9 month old mark, and she is becoming increasingly more demanding, and started throwing temper tantrums two months ago.
She understands that when I say "no" I want her to stop, because often times she will stop. (After a good month of saying no and removing her from whatever she was getting into/doing, she started to get it) But sometimes, she just turns out, looks at me and smiles, and continues on her merry way lol.

It's not really a big deal, but I am getting a little worried about the toddler years with her if she's already so melodramatic about having things taken away from her/being disciplined. (Though I would hardly call it discipline, as I just tell her no, and distract her)
She gets EXTREMELY frustrated when I take things away from her. For example, tonight, she had somehow gotten a hold of one of my shoes and was putting it in her mouth etc, so I took it away from her. And she scrunched up her face and put her hands into fists and screamed at the top of her lungs. Actually sometimes, when I have to move her from one place she's not supposed to be, to another place, she will throw herself forward or backward and scream and cry until I pick her up or distract her. Like full on tantrums, I'm pretty taken aback by this behavior, as I had no idea babies could be soo emotional.

Advertisement

novemberlily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 12:20 AM   #2
Fairycat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Anyone else have a strong headed baby under 1??

I have to say she sounds normal. DS is almost a year and still does not totally get "no". He thinks its funny when I react and my friends DS REALLY loves reactions and loves to do naughty things, because his brother over reacts and he thinks its all for him.

My advice is redirect her, her attention span is short if you replace the item or redirect her attention, you will see the blow ups peter out pretty quickly. Yes and sometimes only hugs stop the crying. This happened just this morning, DS was not allowed in the garage and cried till I picked him up. They are still learning emotions and so much more at this age.

Last edited by Fairycat; 08-10-2010 at 12:22 AM.
Fairycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 07:30 AM   #3
Crew&West
Registered Users
Formerly: Crewsmom
seller

O' mama I don't know about girls but my ODS who will be 2 in 3 weeks has been this way since he was about 10mo. I would say it hasn't got "worse" per say but because he's older it's different behavior! So instead of the screaming temper tantrums it's "no mama mine" and he'll swing at you. You're LO is probably too little right now to understand timeouts, but we started ODS at 13-14mo to try it out and he got it so we've been doing them ever since. Only did a minute and I actually had to sit with him. I would say "uh oh Crew we don't hit the dogs, come sit with me" (or whatever he was doing naughty) and then I would sit him on my lap facing away from me and we'd sit in the timeout spot and I held him for a minute. Didn't talk to him, didn't give in, didn't look at him. He hated it! LOL. Now like I said he does them on his own.
Old 08-10-2010, 07:51 AM   #4
dpelephant
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My older daughter was/is like this. Her way or the highway and very intense. Just when you figure out something that works, the tactics change, so be prepared! I had to start from a very early age (under 1) helping and talking her through transitions, so it is not such a surprise to be doing something else or going someplace.
Maybe starting some baby signs may help?
My saving grace is that she is also very cautious so is not one to climb all over the place and just bolt at the playground.

I earn extra $ with Swagbucks and Ebates! Join me
dpelephant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 08:30 AM   #5
novemberlily
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Oh man, my little girl gets into everything!! DH is bad for leaving the baby gate for kitchen open a crack, and she gets in their so fast!! lol
I'm glad to hear this is somewhat normal, as I was kind worried about how intense her frustration or anger is sometimes and thought maybe she is going to have problems controlling her emotions or something lol.
novemberlily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 09:10 AM   #6
CherryPie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My son began at 8 months and is still a handful at 27 months. My older two were/are so easy going and laid back so this was all new to me. Before I had him, if anyone told me that a baby under 12 months acted like this I would have thought they were off their rocker. Luckily for us, our 4th baby seems to be taking after the older two kids

GetSafeScents.com- New Spring/Summer 2014 catalog is out!
Join Scentsy | Scentsy Closeout Section
Follow me on Instagram: @SarahB00)
CherryPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 04:31 PM   #7
pcjs
Registered Users

Yup, normal... hee hee... you know you are in for it. My son is a full blown character when he wants to be.
Old 08-10-2010, 07:14 PM   #8
crunchymom2b
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by novemberlily View Post
My DD is days away from the 9 month old mark, and she is becoming increasingly more demanding, and started throwing temper tantrums two months ago.
She understands that when I say "no" I want her to stop, because often times she will stop. (After a good month of saying no and removing her from whatever she was getting into/doing, she started to get it) But sometimes, she just turns out, looks at me and smiles, and continues on her merry way lol.

It's not really a big deal, but I am getting a little worried about the toddler years with her if she's already so melodramatic about having things taken away from her/being disciplined. (Though I would hardly call it discipline, as I just tell her no, and distract her)
She gets EXTREMELY frustrated when I take things away from her. For example, tonight, she had somehow gotten a hold of one of my shoes and was putting it in her mouth etc, so I took it away from her. And she scrunched up her face and put her hands into fists and screamed at the top of her lungs. Actually sometimes, when I have to move her from one place she's not supposed to be, to another place, she will throw herself forward or backward and scream and cry until I pick her up or distract her. Like full on tantrums, I'm pretty taken aback by this behavior, as I had no idea babies could be soo emotional.
You just described my 11 month old perfectly. it gets tough at times but i just try to be consistent.

Alycia + Tom = 2 Labor Day babies! Tommy (9/09) + Vinny (9/12)
Under construction: unexpectedly expecting in 2015!
crunchymom2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 07:50 PM   #9
LnzsOut
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I haven't read all of the replies, but this sounds very familiar. My ds started ignoring "no" and laughing at me while continuing the behavior at around 9-10 months. I was actually very worried that he would be a tough toddler until just 3-4 weeks ago. I still don't think he's going to be easy, but he surprises me with how well he listens and understands - ESPECIALLY when we're away from home (even better, right?). He still often gets upset when we take something away, etc. and he definitely challenges us, but DH and I work very hard to try to show him that we understand that he's upset. We try to prevent tantrums with redirection and hugs when necessary. This sounds backwards to most of my family - they all think we should ignore tantrums - but this is actually working! I'm not always as patient as I'd like to be, but take it in stride, mama. Your little girl will learn as long as you're mostly consistent with your positive reactions.
Old 08-10-2010, 08:04 PM   #10
Jewelgurl137
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Definitely normal. I have 3 strong willed kids and they just get more vocal with age in their dislike of being told no. LOL!