Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-10-2010, 09:54 AM   #1
ohgirlohboyohno
Registered Users
seller
seller

PSA: Fishponds WARNING: near drowning mentioned

Just wanted to do a little PSA about those fishponds in yards. MIL has one of those ponds...all of like 8 inches deep. I have not really bee too worried about the kids around it because it is soo shallow - more shallow than the kiddie pool.

Well, yesterday - the unthinkable happened.... I was over at the house - MIL was supposed to be home but she was running late, so we were sitting outside on the porch. The kids were walking around the yard...the fishpond is about 5 feet away from the bench I was sitting on. I can see both kids looking in the water - from the edge. I am on the phone calling Granny to see if she is home and can we come over and steal her AC . So I am looking in the kids direction and all of the sudden I only see one kid...Emma literally dove into the fishpond head first...there was NO spalsh and not thrashing around...I threw my phone into the yard and RAN to the fishpond...the image of my child FLOATING in that water was HORRENDOUS!!! She looked like all those TV shows where they show a re-enactment of a drowning...I knew she hadn't been in there long but I still - for an instant - thought she was dead - she was not moving or anything...I yanked her out by her foot and ploped her in the grass - she was breathing and crying she is FINE! She was in there for approx 10 seconds but it felt like 45 minutes to ME. I had towels in the car and a change of clothes and she only cried until I hugged her....we are going to the Dr. tomorrow because she has been coughing just a bit and I want to make sure her lungs are clear.

I totally believed that was not enough water for either of them to get in THAT much trouble so easily....we never leave them out there alone and always figured if they fell in we could go get them out and the most wrong would be they were wet - never imagined they would go in head first and not be able to sit up - apparently the algea in there is slippery - though I am not even sure she was trying to sit up - she was just floating. MIL is draining it today and it will be a flower bed now....

so if friends or family have one of those - PLEASE be careful around them...if I had not been sitting RIGHT there and watching them I never would have heard a splash or seen her go in...it could have been so much worse.

Advertisement

NEW Giftable Innotab2 players FS (pink and blue) here

Last edited by ohgirlohboyohno; 08-10-2010 at 09:57 AM.
ohgirlohboyohno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 10:05 AM   #2
EveryDayIsANewDay
Registered Users
Formerly: Stacey***ke3
seller
seller

Re: PSA: Fishponds WARNING: near drowning mentioned

Oh my gosh, how freaking scary. I am so sorry you and your DD had to experience that!! Thank you for sharing...sometimes it's hard to imagine something like that could really happen in such a little amount of water.
EveryDayIsANewDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 10:13 AM   #3
n3w2cl0th
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

omg Im so sorry mama! How terrifying!! thank God you were there....
Old 08-10-2010, 10:16 AM   #4
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I am sorry mama! I know that was the first thing to go in our house when we purchased it. My son was only a month old but I wasn't taking any chances.
Old 08-10-2010, 10:23 AM   #5
JellEBeanDesigns
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Smil has one and she thinks I'm nuts for standing at the sliding door watching the boys around hers (about 2 ft deep)
JellEBeanDesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 10:24 AM   #6
SAHM2Seven
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We have a pond/lake in our backyard. It is deep...we are not allowed to put a fence per HOA, It sucks...I have to watch my 18 month old like a HAWK...my 7 yr old fishes there all day long, she loves it...and the baby all of a sudden wants to be down there all the time....my 4 yr old is terrified of the water, and will tackle, sit on, knock down whatever the baby to keep her from going down there....

Thanks for sharing your story, It will remind us all to keep a good eye on our little ones.
Old 08-10-2010, 10:26 AM   #7
sundaesprinkles
Registered Users
seller

So glad she's ok! That's so scary
Old 08-10-2010, 11:09 AM   #8
Bekki
Registered Users
seller
seller

How scary! So glad she's OK! Thank you for sharing!

We have a pretty big/deep pong on the property. Fortunately, the area of the yard where we play is VERY far away, but it still makes me nervous. We moved into this house while I was pregnant, and I my mom was a nervous wreck about the pond.

Fortunately, it's just a rental, and we'll be moving next year! The pond is beautiful to look at, but I'd rather have the peace of mind.
Old 08-10-2010, 11:23 AM   #9
3rockstars
Registered Users
Formerly: FaeryGnomeHome
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAHM2Seven View Post
We have a pond/lake in our backyard. It is deep...we are not allowed to put a fence per HOA, It sucks...I have to watch my 18 month old like a HAWK...my 7 yr old fishes there all day long, she loves it...and the baby all of a sudden wants to be down there all the time....my 4 yr old is terrified of the water, and will tackle, sit on, knock down whatever the baby to keep her from going down there....

Thanks for sharing your story, It will remind us all to keep a good eye on our little ones.

OP, glad everyone is okay. That's really scary. I am so nervous with my kids and water of any sort. They aren't allowed near water without me there.
Old 08-10-2010, 11:27 AM   #10
ohgirlohboyohno
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAHM2Seven View Post

Parker kept saying "Whoa Bean" (he calls her Bean) and was very concerned for her...he knew something wasn't right but he is still too young to know what to do...I think HE might have been more traumatized than she was....he will probably turn out to be as protective as your little one.

NEW Giftable Innotab2 players FS (pink and blue) here
ohgirlohboyohno is offline   Reply With Quote