Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-12-2010, 10:01 PM   #21
2queens&1princenmyhouse
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Share your Bento Boxes!

There are lots of pics/ideas on EasyLunchBoxes.com. And, if you are in the market for a "bento box" type lunch box, I think you should check this one out. We got ours two or three months ago (recommended by someone in the Green Families forum). I am very excited to use it for school b/c it is roomy enough to add a thermos. My kids often take dinner leftovers or soups and they like them heated. The laptop lunch boxes didn't offer the "warm" food option. In the Easy Lunch Box, there is a 3-section container for the typical lunch box fare and then when placed in the actual cooler bag, there is room enough for a Thermos, water bottle, and ice pack (a waste free lunch). I'm lovin' it!

Oh, and it's more affordable than the Laptop lunch box system.

Advertisement

2queens&1princenmyhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 10:20 AM   #22
natesgirl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I use my lock and lock often also http://www.heritagemint.com/jump.jsp...iProductID=271
Old 08-13-2010, 06:38 PM   #23
Koolio11
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by natesgirl View Post
ok I'm back sorry I had to leave such a short reply earlier.

I used to post on flickr under the "kid eats" or kids eat pool, but I don't anymore. I didn't want to pay for a pro account. there are a TON of ppl who do though. LINK Biggie the moderator is the blogger from Lunch in a Box if you LOVE your laptop lunch there is a pool just for laptop lunches also. there is a pool for Mr Bentos too.

I also have an ongiri recipe on my blog (rice balls) and a tutorial for freezing them for fast bento packing. My girls like them plain but you can mix in furitake, minced veggies etc also.

I also make hand held savory pies (mini ones), pizza rolls etc to keep in the freezer

I make pizza rolls and hand held pies (with savory fillings) and keep them in the fridge also.
Jlist has bentos too just google them

if you live near a Daiso they have great stuff it's a Japanese yen store I always get a ton when I get to one

I use a Mr bento for DH, a smaller version for DD, I have an obsession with bento boxes and have way to many I have one metal tiffin we love.
I have three extras but I find the one we have is enough so need to sell the others and other stuff.

I keep my belts, molds, egg molds, sauce cups/bottles, picks, cutters, foils, silicone cupcake cups for stuff, etc in drawers it doesn't look like that anymore I have gotten too many items crammed in there.

I can't wait until the school year starts. I picked up four packs of cream cheese and they are so small and cute for dipping pretzels and carrots and such. DD loves her food hot though so I didn't pack many bentos last year.

I also picked up a few bentos from the disney store.
Love your blog! I saw the tutorial for freezing rice balls (which seems ingenius despite it's obviousness) but can't find your recipe for ongiri... would be curious to see it. Do you mind sharing here?
Koolio11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 07:16 PM   #24
natesgirl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

hmm all I could find was the tamago recipe no ongiri
well
usually I just do rice, splash or soy or rice wine and shape it
sometimes I add this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Furikake OR really make your own and it's healthier with chopped (or cut with scissors) sea weed, sesame seeds and if you have an Asian market dried fish or squid or you can put something inside of it.
mix it together and form into shapes I use my ice cream maker molds, my hands or press it into cookie cutters, I have rarley used an onigiri mold
I found this also http://lunchinabox.net/2007/02/15/sp...igiri-onigiri/
Old 08-14-2010, 08:31 PM   #25
baby1577
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

We bento here. DS starts pre-k next week, so I'll make sure to snap some pics of his lunches.

My favorite bento blog is anotherlunch.com
I am living the dream selling Plexus! Message me for info about a line of products that can help your family achieve overall wellness. Free shipping for all my DS mamas! Join my team today and find financial freedom! I have! http://shea7.myplexusproducts.com
baby1577 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 09:36 PM   #26
stephy4632
Licensed Knitter
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

I (hide) that I haven`t had a chance to check the links on this thread yet but would love to know where you ladies buy molds , food punches and the other items to help make the bento`s more fun and dress them up some.

I did mention in the other post that we have the laptop lunch system
but I also just fell in love with a bento box on ebay that was hello kitty lol so I ordered it as well. Its stackable bento box.

I`m getting so excited to start making her bento lunches for school ( first day is August 31st ).
stephy4632 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 10:11 PM   #27
natesgirl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

ebay
jlist
I look everywhere
Asian grocery stores
I find cute cocktail picks and decorations in party sections of target etc, small cookie cutters can be found anywhere, I use both egg molds to mold eggs and I also use my ice cream sandwich molds. LINK
Daiso!! I LOVE LOVE daiso, so whenever I get near one I stock up on foils, cutters etc. my SIL is in Seattle so she's near a daiso and can send me items.
I have an uncle in Japan, and had a friend stationed there so they hooked me up. I got lots of molds, cups etc.
any china town might have places.
Old 08-15-2010, 01:17 PM   #28
peeko621
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Last year we used the laptop lunchable bento kit. I had two lunch boxes (one for me and one for ds#1). I liked it, but it was a little bit limiting. This year I decided to try the same one Kristin-- the Easy lunch box. I'm really excited about this version as like Kristin said I can also put in a thermos and have more options. It's also a lot cheaper with more inners-- so I won't have to wash them in the morning like I did last year. I also have to make a lunch this year for ds#2 as his daycare charges $3 a lunch-- which is ridiculous in my opinion. I can pack a lunch that I know he will like for way cheaper then that. I actually got two thermoses as I figured I could send in ravioli's, soup, or chilli which both boys love. It will give me so many more options.

I love the links you guys provided for ideas for lunches though-- I'm always looking for new things to do.
Old 08-15-2010, 09:07 PM   #29
stephy4632
Licensed Knitter
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

I found some vegie cutters today at a local cooking store got a package with heart , star and half moon
stephy4632 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 09:49 PM   #30
2queens&1princenmyhouse
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have been practicing my lunch making skills with my daycare kids this past week. Friday I made pita pockets from scratch and they were a hit. I stuffed them with lettuce and tuna salad (it was hit or miss with the daycare kids, but my girls loved them).
2queens&1princenmyhouse is offline   Reply With Quote