Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-10-2010, 04:31 PM   #1
eaglewife126
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
toys: wood VS plastic?

just looking for some info on why so many choose the wooden toys for their kids?
i've started my christmas shopping, and am looking at play dishes, cookware sets and food for dd. the wood sets look so NICE! but i am having a hard time justifing $20 on a 5 piece set of wood toys vs $20 for a 15-20 piece set of plastic stuff. she is the youngest, and likely the last baby so i am not as concerned with something lasting through several kids, and many years.

also, if i went with wood stuff, what about the paint? does it come off? dd will be 23 months at christmas time, so stuff is still going to end up in her mouth alot. and how concerned would i need to be about my wood laminate floor in the living room where she plays??
thanks mamas!

Advertisement

Old 08-10-2010, 04:45 PM   #2
nceveritt
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: toys: wood VS plastic?

well, we're *trying* to switch to fabrics and woods for a few reasons:

it's sustainable.

you can't know for sure what chemicals and toxic substances are in plastic toys (this is my big thing) - my DD puts all these things in her mouth, and she chews... sucks... teeths all over them. how many THINGS could she be getting that are harmful? i feel like it's going to be a flashback to the days of lead paint...

anyways, the paint might come off, but you can usually find things that are unpainted, or painted with nontoxic paints. this is a great website that will let you know about the "good qualities" of the toys.

also, amazon is awesome and you can sometimes find the toys listed on ^that^ website... for maybe cheaper, or at least free shipping.

Like our store on Facebook
nceveritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 05:10 PM   #3
photomikey
Since there is reason to suspect that this user and CDMama12 are the same person and they have failed to repsond to pm's asking for clarification, both accounts are being banned.

Laminate, if laid correctly, is bulletproof. There's nothing you can do to hurt it.
photomikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 05:24 PM   #4
Janine
Registered Users

My Mood:

We prefer wood and I try to buy it whenever possible. If we do buy plastic we try to get BPA-free, recycled plastic. I prefer wood because it is more durable, more aesthetically-pleasing, in my opinion, and more sustainable. As for paints, we of course get things with non-toxic paint, but non-toxic stains are pretty nice and avoid the chipping issue for the most part. My favorite brands, although they are admittedly pricey, are Haba and Plan Toys. I'm wary of toys, wood or plastic, made in China so I try to avoid those.

I've made some exceptions for sure though. We do own Geo Trax, Legos, and Step 2 furniture. I'm definitely far from perfect.

Last edited by Janine; 08-10-2010 at 05:28 PM.
Janine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 05:33 PM   #5
Fire In The Disco
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We prefer wood as well, for both the sustainable and the lower chemical reasons.

Putting that Early Childhood Development degree to good use these days!
, , ,
Fire In The Disco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 05:43 PM   #6
photomikey
Since there is reason to suspect that this user and CDMama12 are the same person and they have failed to repsond to pm's asking for clarification, both accounts are being banned.

I buy a little of everything, but I read something here a few months ago that made me think. Somebody said when you walk into a room with plastic toys everywhere, it looks like a trashcan got turned upside down. But when you walk into a room with wooden toys, it looks like a playroom. I hadn't thought of it that way, but I have to agree. I don't focus so much on wooden stuff exclusively, just keeping the amount of toys overall to a reasonable level.
photomikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 06:59 PM   #7
Janine
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photomikey View Post
I buy a little of everything, but I read something here a few months ago that made me think. Somebody said when you walk into a room with plastic toys everywhere, it looks like a trashcan got turned upside down. But when you walk into a room with wooden toys, it looks like a playroom. I hadn't thought of it that way, but I have to agree. I don't focus so much on wooden stuff exclusively, just keeping the amount of toys overall to a reasonable level.
Yeah, this is kind of how I feel. A room full of wooden/cloth toys just looks more organized and clean. Not sure why. Just looks nicer. That isn't the primary reason why I try to avoid plastic toys, but it is a definite benefit in my eyes.
Old 08-10-2010, 10:23 PM   #8
cathrynapple
Registered Users

I try to choose wood and cloth toys (we do have some plastic toys) because I want to limit my family's daily use of and exposure to plastics. Chewing on plastics make them leach tiny amounts of chemicals, and I'd just rather that not happen. Same goes for heating or freezing food in plastic containers. Though most things are being made BPA free now (a toxin found in the bloodstreams of even newborns, now) I'd just rather have natural materials for my baby to chew on and play with. They are more environmentally friendly, too. And prettier, in my opnion.
cathrynapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 05:36 AM   #9
Junipervt
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

DD has all wood of cloth play food. I never even considered plastic.

If you're looking for a deal on wood food kidsurplus has 30% off their entire website right now. (they are local to me & are opening a large retail store & will be closing their website for a while, then reopening. So, they are trying to clear some stuff out 1st.)

http://www.kidsurplus.com/search-skw...catID-1047.asp
Old 08-11-2010, 09:12 PM   #10
eaglewife126
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

are the melissa and doug play foods good sets? i'm looking at those on amazon, they look really nice....
also has anyone bought the recycled plastic sets? like this?
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B002KE5GPS/ref=nosim/chrisficti-20