Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2010, 10:16 PM   #1
mamahen's Avatar
mamahen
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: WA
Posts: 2,288
what was your delayed/alternative schedule

Forgive me if this thread is totally old and been answered a million times. Im too lazy to look since I need to be washing bottles for when I'm at work tomorrow and I'm already supposed to be in bed. oops.

Up until now, DS is fully vaccinated. the more I read and learn the more I'm certain I do not want to give him all of these and that, especially being a still breastfeeding, non day care going baby, he's at a fairly low risk anyway. SO I'm reading some books (anyone have a favorite??) and trying to decide which ones to skip, give, or delay. Does anyone have any advice?? I've got a little less than a month until DS' 12 month well baby.
TIA SO MUCH!!! it's really stressin me out.

Advertisement

__________________
DS1 08/27/09 46 & DS2 7/23/11 47

Please rear face your child to the max- their lives could depend on it.
mamahen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 10:19 PM   #2
~Sherry~'s Avatar
~Sherry~
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 2,301
Re: what was your delayed/alternative schedule

~Sherry~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 07:10 AM   #3
Fire In The Disco's Avatar
Fire In The Disco
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 1,547
My Mood:
Re: what was your delayed/alternative schedule

My favorite book is the Dr. Sears vaccine book. We're following a schedule similar to his:

2 months DTaP, Rotavirus
3 months Pc, HIB
4 months DTaP, Rotavirus
5 months Pc, HIB
6 months DTaP, Rotavirus
7 months Pc, HIB
9 months Polio
12 months Polio
15 months Pc, HIB
18 months DTaP
2 years Rubella, Polio
4 years DTaP, Polio
5 years/School age MMR, Hep A, Hep B

We chose to hold off on the MMR and the Heps until Cecilia is of school age since we are not going to put her in daycare.
__________________
* * * * Aimee, wife to Chris * * * *
* * * * Mama to Cecilia Ivy, born April 6, 2010!* * * *

Putting that Early Childhood Development degree to good use these days!
, , ,
Fire In The Disco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 10:46 AM   #4
mamahen's Avatar
mamahen
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: WA
Posts: 2,288
Re: what was your delayed/alternative schedule

thanks mama.
__________________
DS1 08/27/09 46 & DS2 7/23/11 47

Please rear face your child to the max- their lives could depend on it.
mamahen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 11:02 AM   #5
mamaerica's Avatar
mamaerica
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Gresham, Oregon
Posts: 4,812
My Mood:
Re: what was your delayed/alternative schedule

Henry is 12 months old and so far he's had:

6 months: DTaP and Polio
9 months: DTaP and Polio
12 months: DTaP

at 15 months he'll get his HIB (if you wait until 15 months, they only need 1 HIB shot)
__________________
Erica
Happily married Mama to 4 kids (14, 11, 6, 4)
And proud SurroMama to 2 beautiful boys


Last edited by mamaerica; 08-11-2010 at 12:51 PM.
mamaerica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 11:51 AM   #6
travelmama24
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 757
My Mood:
Re: what was your delayed/alternative schedule

We allowed DD to have all of her shots on time until her 12 month appt. Up until her 9 month appt, DD was getting sick after every set of vax. She would get a fever (even though we had given her Tylenol), a runny nose & be very irritable for a few days. 2 days after her 9 month appt, she came down with a respiratory infection. That's when we decided enough was enough. We talked to our pedi and she was fine with us spacing the vax out. We would give her only 1 or 2 per visit and go back 2-4 wks later to get another 1 or 2. It wasn't a huge delay, but it was enough to keep DD from feeling out of sorts.

Last edited by travelmama24; 08-11-2010 at 11:55 AM.
travelmama24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 02:45 PM   #7
lanwenyi's Avatar
lanwenyi
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Southern California
Posts: 1,977
My Mood:
Re: what was your delayed/alternative schedule

My plan, and what happened are 2 different things. The plan was:
2 mths - DTaP
4 mths - HiB
6 mths - Pc
12 mths - DTaP (no 9 mth or 15 mth appt at that doc)
18 mths - HiB (complete b/c last shot was after 15 mths)
2 yrs - Pc (complete b/c last shot was after 24 mths)

I skip rotovirus completely. MMR will be skipped until the separate shots are avail again or at least age 5. Polio will be given around age 5. Hep A and Varicella wait until 10-12. Hep B, Meningitis, and HPV will be decided on later and the decision will be made after discussion and input from my kids.

HTH

ETA: I'm picky about the version my kids get too. DTaP is Daptacel and Hib must be ActHib.
__________________
S, mama to my 3rd grader, K (9/07) and my 1st grader, e (7/09) and married to my best friend, E (2007)

Last edited by lanwenyi; 08-11-2010 at 10:38 PM.
lanwenyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 09:33 PM   #8
mamahen's Avatar
mamahen
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: WA
Posts: 2,288
Re: what was your delayed/alternative schedule

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaerica View Post
at 15 months he'll get his HIB (if you wait until 15 months, they only need 1 HIB shot)
Now that I'm doing the research I read that and wish I would have known that before!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanwenyi View Post
My plan, and what happened are 2 different things. The plan was:
2 mths - DTaP
4 mths - HiB
6 mths - Pc
12 mths - DTaP (no 9 mth or 15 mth appt at that doc)
18 mths - HiB (complete b/c last shot was after 15 mths)
2 yrs - Pc (complete b/c last shot was after 18 mths)

I skip rotovirus completely. MMR will be skipped until the separate shots are avail again or at least age 5. Polio will be given around age 5. Hep A and Varicella wait until 10-12. Hep B, Meningitis, and HPV will be decided on later and the decision will be made after discussion and input from my kids.

HTH

ETA: I'm picky about the version my kids get too. DTaP is Daptacel and Hib must be ActHib.
It does help. What makes your decision about which version of eash shot to get? Amount of preservatives?

I'm not sure why I'm just starting to think about this whole issue after almost 12 months. I actually just started getting anxious about taking him to well baby visits for fear of reaction to the vaccines. I'd thought about it before and when I asked if he really needed all these shots our pedi said yes. I assumed that since I kind of work with her she would give it to me straight, not just the rote answer she has to give everyone- guess not. DS is breastfed, not day-cared, baby-worn and not exposed to too many other kids. I TOTALLY could have skiped rota and put the hib off. I feel like I was not given informed consent and luckily DS has never had so much as a temp from any of them. I guess you live and learn. Next LO will have a different schedule that's for sure.
__________________
DS1 08/27/09 46 & DS2 7/23/11 47

Please rear face your child to the max- their lives could depend on it.
mamahen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 09:54 PM   #9
lanwenyi's Avatar
lanwenyi
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Southern California
Posts: 1,977
My Mood:
Re: what was your delayed/alternative schedule

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamahen View Post
Now that I'm doing the research I read that and wish I would have known that before! That's true, but Hib is most likely to cause your LO probs b4 15 mths. My kids get 2 shots; one while young and the second at 15 mths.



It does help. What makes your decision about which version of eash shot to get? Amount of preservatives? I try to use lower aluminum content/less reactive versions of the vaccine. I got a lot of that info from The Vaccine Book. I also avoid the GSK DTaP b/c when I described DD's rxn to her 2 mth shots to one of the docs who actually listened, she told me that she'd seen similar rxns to 2 vaccines: Rotovirus, both the old (pulled from the market) and new, AND the GSK version of DTaP. DD had been given the GSK DTaP at her 2 mth appt.

I'm not sure why I'm just starting to think about this whole issue after almost 12 months. I actually just started getting anxious about taking him to well baby visits for fear of reaction to the vaccines. I'd thought about it before and when I asked if he really needed all these shots our pedi said yes. I assumed that since I kind of work with her she would give it to me straight, not just the rote answer she has to give everyone- guess not. DS is breastfed, not day-cared, baby-worn and not exposed to too many other kids. I TOTALLY could have skiped rota and put the hib off. I feel like I was not given informed consent and luckily DS has never had so much as a temp from any of them. I guess you live and learn. Next LO will have a different schedule that's for sure.
GL mama. LMK if there is anything else I can help you with.
__________________
S, mama to my 3rd grader, K (9/07) and my 1st grader, e (7/09) and married to my best friend, E (2007)
lanwenyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2005 - 2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.