Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-10-2010, 11:00 PM   #1
jacquelinemarie82
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:
Spin off: Labor starting on it's own....isn't it impossible

Isn't it impossible for a woman to pass week 42 and NOT go into labor on her own. I know someone that is in the medical field and knows her body and SWEARS that she was due Dec. 18 but had the baby in week 44. She did not go into labor on her own and is big on no drugs. But the baby didn't come...and didn't come....her doctor induced her then obviously. So she says she didn't go into labor on her own. Could be that her dates were off even though she says she is sure she is right OR could be that the baby was going to come the next day or something. We'll never know. BTW, there was nothing wrong with the baby. Perfectly normal and normal size.

Anyway, doesn't a woman's body HAVE to go into labor?

Advertisement

jacquelinemarie82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 11:08 PM   #2
Fishie Kisses
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Spin off: Labor starting on it's own....isn't it impossible

I was told that it actually IS possible because some women don't produce oxitocin (or not enough). Naturally, I could have been misinformed, but that's what I was told. Unlikely, certainly. My mom went to 44 weeks with me though. But, luckily, labor did start. She was due 11/22 and I was born 12/18
Tashauna~~proud wife to my trained boo-boo fixer and mama to 4 boys on earth (Jordan-01/15/08, Logan-12/16/09, Connor-05/17/11)...and finally our rainbow Jackson (11/24/13)! and two in heaven ^i^ (10wks-11/12 and 4 weeks 2/13)
Try SWAGBUCKS and get paid!! I've earned over $1000 just since Jan 1, 2013!!!
Fishie Kisses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 11:13 PM   #3
TalkinBoutMyGirl
~Love~
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

How would it be impossible? Our bodies don't know exactly when 42 weeks is and then it decides the baby has to go right then! Althought you might think that my moms body was magical like that..I was born at 41 weeks 6 days LOL
Old 08-10-2010, 11:18 PM   #4
amphibology29
Registered Users
seller

I remember watching some show... Ripley's Believe it or Not, or something similar... about a woman who'd been pregnant, never had the baby, and as an old woman it was discovered that she'd just never gone into labor, the baby had died, and calcified inside of her.

It's not really the same as carrying a healthy pregnancy and never going into labor, but I lost a pregnancy at 9-10 weeks and it went undetected until 19 weeks. My body never kicked in to expel it and I had no signs or symptoms of the loss, and the placenta actually kept developing to the point of over-developing. At 19 weeks it was approximately the size it should have been at 36 weeks. That probably had something to do with why my body never kicked into deliver the miscarriage, but doctors and pathologists were never able to figure out what happened and what went wrong. The human body continues to present mysteries we may never solve!
Old 08-10-2010, 11:22 PM   #5
an_aurora
Registered Users

Yep, many women have 42+ week pregnancies.
an_aurora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 11:40 PM   #6
jacquelinemarie82
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

I'm not talking about pregnancies lasting longer than 42 weeks. I'm talking about a mama going longer than 42 weeks and eventually going on to NOT go into labor at all.

Nowadays we can obviously attempt induction and then c-section if induction is not coming along. But I mean like back in the day when there were not drugs and people were scared to attempt a c-section, were their women that never went into labor? I don't see that being possible in the United States unless a woman hide out somewhere and refused medical intervention....but in other countries where medical services are not available, I could see it happening (if it does happen).

Does that all make sense? It's late to be typing this.

And that calcified baby thing...I saw that too and I think the baby actually started developing wrong at some point and she had a miscarriage but never delivered after that...she was close to her due date but not full term. But she was in pain and assumed she was in labor but the baby never came. So everyone in her village (Russia maybe?) got superstitious about the whole thing and she was always looked on as scary to others because her baby was a ghost baby they said. But then turns out that she actually had severe stomach pains when she was an older woman (decades later) and when they took her to the hospital they found out why.
jacquelinemarie82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 11:45 PM   #7
MamaNae
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I wouldn't think that they would NEVER go into labor...but I think in the case of an oxytocin deficiency they'd probably eventually die? Right? Without modern medicine.

I dunno...
Renae. Helpmeet to my hottie hubby, Josh. Devoted Mama to my Wolf scout-bookworm-sports-a-holic James (7), my Daisy Scout Princess Aldria (5) and my 2 year old Tornado Emmett and [COLOR="Magenta"] and my tiny squish Cora Paige! (May 2013)
MamaNae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 11:48 PM   #8
peaches330
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I'm sure it's not impossible but it would be extremely rare. Unfortunately the medical community has painted the picture that if you haven't gone into labor at 42 weeks that you body just isn't going into labor. I know somebody who had both her babies in her 45th week and her kids were perfectly fine and of average size. Most women who have been told that their bodies just weren't going to go into labor just weren't given the opportunity to go on their own time so who knows how common it actually is. I guarantee you that it's waaayyyyyyy more rare than people make it out to be.
Old 08-11-2010, 12:36 AM   #9
EskimoStitches
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I have to imagine that their dates of implantation had to be atypical and probably still went overdue. But then, I try to find a plausible answer for everything.

I cant imagine going to 45 weeks and having and 'average' size baby. I have very regular cycles and know the exact day of each of my conceptions. I have had 1 baby at 36.4 (naturally, spontaneous) and he was like 7 12. Seriously, the way my babies grow, I'd have a 15 lb 45 weeker. That just makes me want to cry.
Old 08-11-2010, 04:45 AM   #10
krispy79
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My best guess would be that it is certainly possible, and I believe I have also heard that some women have issues with hormones.
I imagine in the days before pictocin that is where all the wives tales came from eating spicy foods to castor oil to induce labor. Even back then it was probably well know that at some point it becomes unsafe to still be pregnant (let's say as the placenta ages and baby gets less nutrients/oxygen). Another factor to consider is that babies growth can also effect labor, if the child is not developing as quickly as it should be this could signal the body at baby is not ready.
I was induced 10 days after my due date with my son because my fluid was so low. I showed no signs of labor before my induction and had 3 sweeps to try and move things along with nothing. I imagine I could have gone at least another 10 days without medical intervention.

Is Someone Hurting you? You can talk to me 1.800.838.8238
krispy79 is offline   Reply With Quote