Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-11-2010, 06:58 AM   #1
crunch!910
Registered Users

Bday party invites

So, we're going to be sending out party invites. I want to put a little typed out insert saying what size clothing he's in, so no one has to ask and I get the same phone call a million times, or so that those that don't bother to ask buy him the wrong size.
Does this sound bad?

If you buy any clothing, he is need of warmer,
fall/winter clothing in size 18 months. Please no jeans! We cloth diaper, and we just can't fit jeans over the bulky cloth diapes. Thank you!

Advertisement

Old 08-11-2010, 01:46 PM   #2
Crew&West
Registered Users
Formerly: Crewsmom
seller

Re: Bday party invites

Not at all! What you wrote was perfect! Infact I did it for YDS 1st bday. If I remember right I put it on the inside over of the invitations.

"Tips for gifts (although not required): weight 28lbs, 34in tall. He's in 12mo pants, 18mo tops, pj's 18mo. We don't allow candy and he's allergic to bananas."

Ofcourse most of the invites were sent to family that I KNOW would call and ask me so that's why I put that in. Weird or not, it worked!
Old 08-11-2010, 05:52 PM   #3
njuhan
Registered Users
seller

I think what you wrote is totally fine. I am planning on putting something similar on DD's bday invites.
njuhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 06:11 PM   #4
DalesWidda
Registered Users
Formerly: savmaralamommy
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunch!910 View Post
So, we're going to be sending out party invites. I want to put a little typed out insert saying what size clothing he's in, so no one has to ask and I get the same phone call a million times, or so that those that don't bother to ask buy him the wrong size.
Does this sound bad?

If you buy any clothing, he is need of warmer,
fall/winter clothing in size 18 months. Please no jeans! We cloth diaper, and we just can't fit jeans over the bulky cloth diapes. Thank you!
I would change the "please no jeans" to "stretchy fabrics only please due to needing to fit over bulky cloth diapers". or something like that. That way there is no negativity in the invitation, kwim?
Old 08-11-2010, 06:32 PM   #5
ohgirlohboyohno
Registered Users
seller
seller

yeah, I would change to "stretchy pants are our favorites for easy "up and down" or something like that ...when you put a negative (no jeans) it makes it sound negative, but saying something cute (but limiting) makes it sound nicer.
L

NEW Giftable Innotab2 players FS (pink and blue) here
ohgirlohboyohno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 06:49 PM   #6
z2akids
Registered Users
seller

I'm going to go against the grain and say that I don't think it's proper to refer to gifts at all in a party invitation. While it is politely worded, it may still come across as a request for a gift. If you get a dozen calls asking about his sizes then that's what you get. I'm pretty old school and traditionally you don't even say something like "no gift" in an invite.
Old 08-11-2010, 08:28 PM   #7
TalkinBoutMyGirl
~Love~
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Typically it is considered rude to mention gifts in invites. I would just leave it out, take the phone calls and exchange any clothes you have to exchange.
Old 08-11-2010, 09:31 PM   #8
crunch!910
Registered Users

I'm very, very picky who I give my cell phone # out to. Some of the people who have been invited do not have it, so cannot call to ask. They could call DH's family, but his family would NOT know and would tell them wrong. I really, really, really, really, really, really hate returning/exchanging things. I just really want to avoid having to exchange or return things, and want to avoid any phone calls from DH's extended family too!!

DS is having TWO bday parties. One at my mom's house, and one at DH's grandmother's house. That could potentially be a LOT of phone calls.

But, I guess you wouldn't say I'm a classy girl. I think all these silly rules are overbearing. I'd say I'm very polite and conscious of others feelings, but I also don't care for silly social rules. If someone gets their panties in a bunch over it, it won't be anyone close to me, so I'm not worried. I know, that sounds awful. Lol. But GMIL/MIL have invited quite a few people that I hardly speak to and already think I'm strange, so I'm really not very concerned about whether I offend them by simply allowing them to spend their money in ways that we could truly appreciate come gift opening time!
I guess I find it MORE rude to exchange a gift than to make suggestions to people. To exchange it is like saying "it wasn't good enough", but to make gentle suggestions, means they can buy a gift - and if it is clothing - later see the child WEARING what you bought it and feel good about the gift you bought. =D

I do think I'll change it though. I understand the whole thing about it being negative, though I do feel I NEED to explain that jeans DON'T fit, so they don't think it is just a preference and still buy him a cute outfit with jeans thinking it'd be okay. (We've had family give Christmas gifts like this.. he's worn each thing once at best, and we had to put a sposie on him to get a picture with it on him to send to the gift giver. Sposies = ick!!)
Old 08-11-2010, 09:39 PM   #9
crunch!910
Registered Users

Oh, and I wanted to add, I appreciate ALL replies, even if I'm not of the same mindset that suggestions are rude. I understand that depending on how you were raised/where you're from, that could be the case. I just personally think my family and friends would find it more rude to exchange their gift for something else. They'd prefer to see their gift ON the child or USED by the child.
Old 08-12-2010, 12:22 PM   #10
Tweedledum
Registered Users

I would read your invitation as you are in need of (and therefore soliciting gifts for) warmer clothing, and that's what I would get you. If you are comfortable with that, then go ahead and put that in your invitation.
Tweedledum is offline   Reply With Quote