Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-24-2010, 01:10 PM   #11
2queens&1princenmyhouse
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: EasyLunchBoxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by calideedle View Post
To answer my own question I bought a TON of Tupperware Smidgets on Ebay last night to hold dips and such for cheap cheap cheap!

And no these are so not exactly like ziploc, they are so much better! So much better!

I don't have the rectangle divided container, per se, but if the quality is comparable to the other containers that I do have that are Ziploc brand, then the Easylunchbox containers are like comparing a Tupperware cup to a Dixie cup in terms of quality/durability. Waaayyyy better.

I also bought the Smidgets and they are the perfect size for a dip or condiment and they are small enough to fit just great in the corner of the entree section without disturbing anything.

I can't say enough great things about Easylunchboxes. I definitely tend to be thrifty and after 3 years of buying Target/Wal-mart lunch boxes (and even an LLBean one), I couldn't find the right mix of functionality and durability. The T/WM boxes weren't very durable and were too small for reusable containers-also had trouble finding containers that were the right size for my girls' appetites, BPA free, dishwasher safe, etc. The LLBean box was/is very durable and I would recommend it for a toddler or preschooler snack, but once the girls were in school and needed a full lunch plus a morning snack, it was too small-and the bigger ones were expensive considering that I had to still buy containers.

Anyway, I paid $33 (I think that was with shipping) for 1 set of containers and 2 lunchboxes. I also got a lunchbox for DS free with a local grocery store promo that will fit the container when we go on a trip (the durability of DS's box is nil, but I figure he'll only use it every once-in-a-while and free is free. It is definitely worth my money, because this system is sturdy enough that we'll be using it for at least 2 years and maybe more. I can't say that about our previous system.

Advertisement

2queens&1princenmyhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 01:49 PM   #12
wanamingomommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Here's a Ziploc to EasyLunchBoxes comparison!

http://my-extraordinary-life.blogspo...3-back-to.html
wanamingomommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 01:56 PM   #13
wanamingomommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keonli View Post
Just curious, why didn't your DH like bento boxes?
#1. Cost ~ We cannot afford to have 2 bento sets for each of our 3 children. After measurements, I discovered that many brands support their lunchboxes mostly. So a laptop lunch wasn't going to fit in many store-bought lunchboxes. And we needed a new lunch box.
#2. He pointed out that some brands are less about function and more about fad. Lately some great products have come out and many folks join the bandwagon w/o thinking about what they really need. Personally, I love the bento boxes! If I worked outside the home and took a lunch, I'd totally get one.

But he helped me identify what our son needed. (Who says hubbies/dads don't know anything!)
What does DS need?
1. Easy open
2. No pieces to be responsible for
3. Simplicity
4. Just 3 compartments; One for the sandwich and two for sides.
Does he care about cute little containers each with their own lid? Nope.

These fit our bill perfectly. Certainly not the right choice for everyone. But we're happy and I'm just spreading the word!
Old 08-24-2010, 02:00 PM   #14
wanamingomommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Those smidgets look cool!

I'll get some once I see if DS is old enough to not throw everything out when he's done with lunch! Last year (Kindergarten) he would throw out everything but the sandwich keeper and drink bottle. I lost so many little rubbermaid containers, it wasn't funny!

That's another reason why I'm going to love the ease of ELB. One bottom, one cover! Yahoo!!!
Old 08-24-2010, 03:10 PM   #15
mycdsqueaker
Registered Users
Formerly: juliasmom92905
seller

To each their own. We have used our ziploc containers for the past 3 years without an issue. So in MY experience and for what we use them for I would say for us they are exactly the same.
I can understand though for those that haven't had a good experience with the ziploc ones why these might be better.
Old 08-24-2010, 03:57 PM   #16
Calideedle
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

The only thing I do not like about the EasyLunchBoxes is they don't fit in DS1s lunch box with room for a drink and his morning snack.

I guess I have to go out tonight and try and find a bigger lunchbox to hold this stuff. Ugh!

I do have a Laptop Lunches Bento System arriving Thursday so we'll see.

Last edited by Calideedle; 08-24-2010 at 04:01 PM.
Calideedle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 11:14 AM   #17
wanamingomommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calideedle View Post
The only thing I do not like about the EasyLunchBoxes is they don't fit in DS1s lunch box with room for a drink and his morning snack.

I guess I have to go out tonight and try and find a bigger lunchbox to hold this stuff. Ugh!

I do have a Laptop Lunches Bento System arriving Thursday so we'll see.
Ugh, that's a bummer.

Last year DS had a Thomas the Train lunch box. I couldn't fit anything in it! Well, more than one thing was tricky. Where the smokestack of Thomas was, I had to make the drink bottle stick up there. Sandwich container had to be one of those wonderbread ones, anything bigger wouldn't fit, and it had to be standing up and against the back. Then I could fit one baggie of something in there. SOOOO glad to see that go at the garage sale!
Old 08-25-2010, 11:52 AM   #18
Calideedle
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Love it!

(yeah I think I packed too much, hey I was excited!)
Old 08-26-2010, 01:38 PM   #19
3rockstars
Registered Users
Formerly: FaeryGnomeHome
seller

oooooh, thanks for this thread. I LOVE those. I am not really FOR anything plastic but I have a 5th grader and a kindergartener this year and we need some lunchboxes that stand up to backpacks and bus rides. So glass is out. And these look really nice and affordable compared to bentos. I saw the bento boxxes at whole foods and was interested until I saw the price tag and how difficult they were for ME to open, much less my 5 year old. I can see her snack flying eerywhere in the classroom when she tries to open it and her teacher not being my biggest fan. I think I'll seriously consider investing in 3 easylunchbox sets for my 3 girls.
Old 08-26-2010, 01:44 PM   #20
SpartyGuard
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I use my EasyLunchboxes a lot!!! Most of the lunches I make on my blog, Easy Bentos, are made in the EasyLunchboxes.
SpartyGuard is offline   Reply With Quote