Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-28-2010, 03:24 PM   #11
Weecycled Woolies
Registered Users
seller

Re: Introduce your Preemie(s)!

Hi

My first two babies were not preemies. My 3rd and 4th were and all but my second were born via emergency c section (my 2nd child was a planned uneventful c section)

1st 40 weeks 10 lbs 12 oz.
2nd 38 weeks 8 lbs 2 oz.

3rd and 4th were preterm.

3rd was 34 weeks 6 lbs 2 oz.
4th was 33 weeks 6 lbs 7 oz.

Both preemies had Respiratory Distress Syndrome. My first preemie was just on the cannulis and was a "feeder and grower" and stayed for 10 days even though she did have some issues with her blood pressure that were resolved.

My 2nd preemie had severe RSD and was on the ventilator for 8 days. He also was sedated during that time since he kept figuring out a way to rip it out the first day lol. He had a very hard time and had little to no surfactent. I was also out of the state visiting my mother when it happened and my dh nor the kids could make the trip, so they didn't meet him until he was discharged 5 weeks later and we drove half way across the country back home the next day!

Both preemies suffered some delays. Katie (my 1st) had some physical therapy for her legs until a year and Teagan (my 2nd) will be 2 in 2 weeks and only says 3 words. Katie suffered from many ear infections and colds and received tubes in her ears that helped resolve those issues. Teagan was hospitalized at 1 yr. with H1N1 but other than that, they are typical healthy (although small) children now!

Advertisement

Last edited by Weecycled Woolies; 08-28-2010 at 03:29 PM.
Weecycled Woolies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 04:01 PM   #12
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My preemie DFS "L" (not allowed to use his name) was born at 34 weeks because his mom was high on heroin. He was in the NICU for 22 days, having developed staph sepsis, and being on oxygen. He was 4 pounds 12 ounces at birth. We got him at 26 days.

DFS never ate well from the beginning. We fed him 1.5 ounces every 90 minutes around the clock in the beginning. He really would only eat if he was asleep, and would fight the bottle terribly. The ped thought it was reflux, gave him meds, and dismissed us as being drama filled because he was gaining weight. Well, it was because we were killing ourselves to get him to eat!

Finally, at 4 months he stopped eating all together. We took him to Riley Children's Hospital where they put in an NG, and determined that he was aspirating. Once he got the NG, he started puking 8-12 times a day. Not refluxing, but a full out puke. We had to feed him every 45 minutes to keep anything down him. We had the NG for 3 months, then they placed a Bard-style G tube. At 15 months, they put in a G-J to help with the vomitting, but he still puked up bile. So then they added a stomach drain to create a nissen without actually doing one. Then we added Zofran to help with the dryheaving that ensued.

He has been in EI speech, OT, and PT since 3 months old, but still takes nothing by mouth. If you put food in his mouth, he vomits, which is sad because he wants to feed himself Cheetos. He then gags on them. He also has SMOs, and is on neb treatments for asthma. He was able to independently sit at about 10 months, crawl at about 13 months, and walk (still unsteady) at about 16 months. He is on his G-J pump 20 hours a day.

We've had H1N1, RSV, and several bouts of C-diff this winter, but hopefully we are over the worst of the complications now!
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...

Last edited by luvsviola; 08-28-2010 at 04:03 PM.
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 04:42 PM   #13
Chrijodo
Registered Users
Formerly: RiverDrakesMomma
seller

My Mood:

Kristen WOW.. L has been through it in his short little life!! I sure hope things start to calm down for him! What a wonderful family you are to be there for him!
Chrijodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 05:09 PM   #14
CDNMommyofmany
Registered Users
Formerly: CDN Mama of 4_08
seller
seller

Hi everyone! I am a very proud stay at home mom of 5, 3 of my babies were preemies and all for different reasons...
Baby #1 my only daughter, was full term (39 weeks) 7lbs, 0oz
Baby #2 was 35 weeks, had a subchorionic hemmorrage that burst at 14 weeks, he was 5lbs, 7oz at birth and spent 10 days in special care due to jaundice and feeding issues
Baby#3 was full term (39 weeks induction), 6lbs 4oz
Baby #4 was born at 33 weeks due to low amniotic fluid and my doctor mistakingly inducing me (thought I was 2-3 weeks further along, did an internal exam not realizing I was already 2cms dilated, went into labour that night!)...he was 4lbs, 11oz and spent 3 weeks in special care
Baby #5 was 29 weeks, due to 2 subchorionic hemmorrages that ended up causing an irritable uterus, my water broke at 28 weeks and I was hospitalized and labour stopped 2 more times before he was born 5 days later...
Proud Stay-at-home-mama to 6 (including 4 preemies 29-35 weeks); who enjoys reading, homeschooling/unschooling and trying to make everyday as stress-free as possible for my 2 precious sons with Autism
CDNMommyofmany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 09:21 PM   #15
3rockstars
Registered Users
Formerly: FaeryGnomeHome
seller

I have a full-term 40w daughter who is now 10 born weighing 6lbs 5oz. She was my biggest baby.
My middle daughter was a 34w baby born due to PPROM weighing 5lbs 3oz and spent 2 weeks in the nicu basically learning suck-swallow-breathe. She had some pretty significant A's and B's that didn't resolve until about 5 months old so we were the proud users of an apnea monitor until 6 months old. She was discharged from the NICU at 2 weeks old and back in at 5 weeks old due to RSV. We stayed 5 days in the PICU due to that. Otherwise she's a healthy 5 year old who's starting kindergarten in a few days.
My youngest daughter was a 33w baby born due to PPROM as well weighing 4lbs 12oz. She also spent 2 weeks in the nicu just to put on a little weight and learn to regulate body temp. She had no breathing issues at birth but she's 2 1/2 now with some pretty significant asthma with illness triggers. She's had a rough go of it until this past January(her second birthday) when she was officially diagnosed and put on maintenance meds and she's doing fabulous. My hope is that this winter we'll avoid the ER all together but given last year's track record and the year before, that's a tall order. We usually frequent the ER about 2 times per month with either pneumonia, bronchiolitis, or croup that are not responding to albuterol. But I'm hoping that with preventative maintenance meds on board this winter, we'll be able to manage her asthma with albuterol and prednisone at home and just see our lovely pedi frequently.
Old 08-28-2010, 10:35 PM   #16
JellEBeanDesigns
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Hi I'm Sam my oldest was born at 35 weeks he was 6 lbs 4.5 oz. I went into labor at 32 weeks put on mag sulf than bed rest and terb no fun!! I did t realize it at the time but it's not normal for babes to not maintain body temp or have ridiculously high bili levels which he did!! He started kindi last week and has no delays I him
JellEBeanDesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 11:09 PM   #17
Gardyloo
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

#1-Preemie: My son was born at exactly 32 weeks (4lbs 5 oz) due to unexplained PPROM. He spent 5 weeks in the NICU. Aside from some ongoing respiratory issues (bronchitis and asthma) he is doing great now at 2.5 years old.

#2-Full Term: My daughter was born at 38.5 weeks (7lbs 5 oz) after 18 weeks of progesterone injections (ouch!) and many cervical ultrasounds. I had PROM with her as well - not nearly as scary as it was at 32 weeks! She is 3.5 months old now.

The NICU experience is a unique one that only parents of preemie can truly relate to. I'm looking forward to hearing everyone's stories and getting to know you all!
Old 08-28-2010, 11:27 PM   #18
Ethansmama0709
Registered Users

Hello my name is Christina. E was born at 32 weeks and 1 day. I have a heart condition that was starting to worsen then I got pre eclampsia. At my last ob appointment my blood pressure was 160/109. So they admitted me into the hospital to watch my blood pressure and test my urine. Well neither was good so 3 days after I was admitted my son was born via c section. He was 3 lbs 1oz and 15 inches long. he was such a little guy. He did really well only needing room air and he just needed to learn how to eat. He had jaundice for a bit too. He was there I believe for 45 days, the longest days ever. I thought they would never end and now hes 13.5 months old. Hes been home for a whole year now :-D.
He has had no delays, no signs he was born so early. He is my happy healthy rockin' toddler. He is the light of my life and his dads, we couldn't imagine life without him. He is very much our miracle in more ways then one.

[IMG]http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=5490240&id=504372480&ref=fbx_album[/
IMG]

Last edited by Ethansmama0709; 08-28-2010 at 11:28 PM.
Ethansmama0709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 02:05 AM   #19
ssand23
Registered Users
seller
seller

My middle DD, Lauren, was born at 33 weeks. She was 5 lbs 8 oz & 19 inches.

She was breathing on her own but had a GI disorder where she couldn't eat anything at all besides Neocate (an amino acid based formula that is not sold in stores & is $45 a can). She ate no solid food & only Neocate until age 3 1/2 years. Though today, she's very tall, she was 5 ft 8 & 105 lbs at her 10 year old check up & is at the top of her class.

Though so far DS has the same GI (he's almost 8 months & can't take anything by mouth besides Neocate, no solids, no meds, nothing) condition so perhaps it wasn't being a preemie, just bad genetics.

Lauren was born early due to low/no fluid. Seems my body just failed to make enough. My #3 DD was born at 37 weeks due to low fluid again (since DD #2 was born at 33 weeks due to low fluid, they started watching levels at 26 weeks with #3). But I had no fluid issues with DD #1 & DS, just a lot of other problems.

DD#1 born at 40 weeks
DD#2 born at 33 weeks
DD#3 born at 37 weeks
DS born at 38 weeks
ssand23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 12:01 PM   #20
Whimsy Twist
Registered Users
Formerly: Lilymomma
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssand23 View Post
My middle DD, Lauren, was born at 33 weeks. She was 5 lbs 8 oz & 19 inches.

She was breathing on her own but had a GI disorder where she couldn't eat anything at all besides Neocate (an amino acid based formula that is not sold in stores & is $45 a can). She ate no solid food & only Neocate until age 3 1/2 years. Though today, she's very tall, she was 5 ft 8 & 105 lbs at her 10 year old check up & is at the top of her class.

Though so far DS has the same GI (he's almost 8 months & can't take anything by mouth besides Neocate, no solids, no meds, nothing) condition so perhaps it wasn't being a preemie, just bad genetics.

Lauren was born early due to low/no fluid. Seems my body just failed to make enough. My #3 DD was born at 37 weeks due to low fluid again (since DD #2 was born at 33 weeks due to low fluid, they started watching levels at 26 weeks with #3). But I had no fluid issues with DD #1 & DS, just a lot of other problems.

DD#1 born at 40 weeks
DD#2 born at 33 weeks
DD#3 born at 37 weeks
DS born at 38 weeks
If you don't mind me asking- what was the GI disorder? We've been using Neocate for a while, but are finally getting over that hump! We go through 25-30 cans a month, plus Nutra.

Whimsy Twist
for the love of color...
find me on Facebook or Etsy
Whimsy Twist is offline   Reply With Quote