Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-14-2013, 12:37 PM   #91
kattayanna_mom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Boycott of Once Upon a Child in Carmel, Indiana

Our OUAC does not require a minimum purchase with a credit card and I have no idea about the rest room issue as it has not came up for me yet.

Advertisement

Old 02-14-2013, 12:41 PM   #92
kattayanna_mom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Many stores do not have public restrooms especially those stores whose stock rooms house the only bathroom ,like most mall stores,strip mall stores,etc. when I worked for Cato's we had an employee bathroom only it was in a strip mall,when I work for Justice clothing store again employee only bathroom this one in the regular mall. Both bathrooms where in the stock rooms.
Old 02-14-2013, 12:51 PM   #93
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimy72 View Post
Here if you have a business you must have a handicap accessable bathroom. We have a small home business and dh had to put down that it was mobile and we don't have customers coming to the house or we would have had to install a bathroom in the garage, AND have a handicap parking spot. Crazy that other places don't even have to have a restroom at all.
I think it may have to do with pre existing. It may be grandfathered in. If it was that way before the law went into effect it may then be allowed.

Our local hospital had a bathroom about 5x6' maybe even smaller. It had a tiny sink, a toilet and a few feet to stand. It as in desperate need of updating. When I asked why it wasn't done I was told if they did so they would be required to make it handicap accessible. The problem was their quite literally just wasn't any room to make it bigger. They decided it would actually be cheaper to build new than to try to update and bring everything up to handicap codes. They just moved into the new hospital 3 weeks ago.
Old 02-14-2013, 03:08 PM   #94
momof3boys1girl
No Longer Here

My Mood:

Yikes!! All our local once upon a childs have a restroom and changing table in them.
momof3boys1girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 03:22 PM   #95
Kiliki
Registered Users
Formerly: kr***y
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by escapethevillage View Post
Well, I do disagree with them on the bathroom issue. I agree with them for the visa. It costs them money to let you use your visa, so unless they want to pass that fee on to you, it's not worth it to them to sell you something for $8.

We were in a locally owned shop this Christmas, and the lady explained that she can't really make money if everybody uses a charge card to buy one Christmas ornament because of the fees.
They aren't allowed to pass the fee on to you. And they also are not allowed to require a minimum purchase amount to use your card. It's in the agreement they sign with the CC company.

I think It's stupid to have a kids clothing store that is not kid friendly. It would be like having a breastfeeding store that doesn't allow breastfeeding in their store... makes no sense.
Kiliki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 03:33 PM   #96
Dory
Registered Users
Formerly: Thing1 & Thing2
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiliki

They aren't allowed to pass the fee on to you. And they also are not allowed to require a minimum purchase amount to use your card. It's in the agreement they sign with the CC company.

I think It's stupid to have a kids clothing store that is not kid friendly. It would be like having a breastfeeding store that doesn't allow breastfeeding in their store... makes no sense.
Actually, that recently (maybe the last month, or less) was changed. unless your state prohibits, they can now pass it on. I'm not fond of the change.
Old 02-14-2013, 04:43 PM   #97
TwinKristi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by qsefthuko

I understand the need to follow the rules. The thing is it is simply bad PR to have a children's store where it is generally expected you will have a lot of pregnant mamas and toddlers in need of a restroom NOW. It just doesn't make sense to me.

Honestly mama I am not understanding what the American's With Disabilities Act has to do with the restroom issue. As far as I understand(as explained to me by the local hospital maintenance staff) the ADA would come into play if the hospital remodeled. They would have to then bring it up to new requirements. However as long as they didn't remodel, the restroom was "grandfathered" in. I assume, if he was correct(he obviously may not have been) this would also apply to store restrooms. Of course, since accommodations must be made for disabled employees as well, it wouldn't matter if it were made available to customers or not. It would still have to be up to current standards. Unless, of course, it was "grandfathered" in. Perhaps they were also denying their employees the use of the restroom as well. I did come across a store that did this. I think it is unlikely that was the case though.
It has to do with the ADA because if you allow the public to use the restroom but don't have an ADA compliant restroom then you can be sued, shut down, fined, etc. even if its been grandfathered in. Someone locally was disabled and would go to different businesses to see if they were up to code and would slap them with a law suit if they weren't. Even if they do go to court and find them in compliance due to grandfathering in, they have still had to hire a lawyer, send someone to court, the stress, the time... Perhaps newspaper articles, blogs, etc bad mouthing you. My old work had to build a ramp on their side entrance to allow wheelchairs and do business out of the shop if someone needed access. Rarely did we need it but we were to never allow a patron to use the restroom. Once I broke the rules for a girl who was probably 16-18 and begged and pleaded so I let her and she stole my freakin' makeup! I was so mad that I bent the rules and let her go only to be slapped in the face! It was expensive makeup too not Wet N Wild. I totally understand the no bathroom thing even if I feel like my bladder will burst or my kids about to pee their pants. What would you do if you were driving on the interstate and couldn't pull over? And like PPs mentioned, it's not just YOU. There's probably 10 people a day you have asking this and having to say no or accommodate 10 people and their various children.
And I also get the CC min too as a business owner. We rarely take credit cards because of the fees!
I've never been to OUAC so I have no experience with them and their service but they're just humans like anyone else. Just because they work at a baby store doesn't mean they have to like babies!
Old 02-14-2013, 04:51 PM   #98
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinKristi View Post
It has to do with the ADA because if you allow the public to use the restroom but don't have an ADA compliant restroom then you can be sued, shut down, fined, etc. even if its been grandfathered in. Someone locally was disabled and would go to different businesses to see if they were up to code and would slap them with a law suit if they weren't. Even if they do go to court and find them in compliance due to grandfathering in, they have still had to hire a lawyer, send someone to court, the stress, the time... Perhaps newspaper articles, blogs, etc bad mouthing you. My old work had to build a ramp on their side entrance to allow wheelchairs and do business out of the shop if someone needed access. Rarely did we need it but we were to never allow a patron to use the restroom. Once I broke the rules for a girl who was probably 16-18 and begged and pleaded so I let her and she stole my freakin' makeup! I was so mad that I bent the rules and let her go only to be slapped in the face! It was expensive makeup too not Wet N Wild. I totally understand the no bathroom thing even if I feel like my bladder will burst or my kids about to pee their pants. What would you do if you were driving on the interstate and couldn't pull over? And like PPs mentioned, it's not just YOU. There's probably 10 people a day you have asking this and having to say no or accommodate 10 people and their various children.
And I also get the CC min too as a business owner. We rarely take credit cards because of the fees!
I've never been to OUAC so I have no experience with them and their service but they're just humans like anyone else. Just because they work at a baby store doesn't mean they have to like babies!
I can see the reasoning for that to a degree except it is still a childrens store. If you plan on keeping customers happy this is something they should consider.

As for working in a childrens store and not likeing kids. You certainly don't have to like kids to work in a childrens store buy you should then be a good enough actor to be able to hide this because that is very much a turn off.

I went to a restaurant. The waitress was only barely mediocre. I left a 15% tip. As we were leaving the waitress made a fuss over my baby asked his name and in general showed interest in him. I felt like leaving her a bigger tip so went back and left a few more dollars. Even if it just a really good pretense, showing interest and liking for your customers children(in particular in a childrens store) is simply good for business.
Old 02-14-2013, 05:29 PM   #99
TwinKristi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by qsefthuko

I can see the reasoning for that to a degree except it is still a childrens store. If you plan on keeping customers happy this is something they should consider.

As for working in a childrens store and not likeing kids. You certainly don't have to like kids to work in a childrens store buy you should then be a good enough actor to be able to hide this because that is very much a turn off.

I went to a restaurant. The waitress was only barely mediocre. I left a 15% tip. As we were leaving the waitress made a fuss over my baby asked his name and in general showed interest in him. I felt like leaving her a bigger tip so went back and left a few more dollars. Even if it just a really good pretense, showing interest and liking for your customers children(in particular in a childrens store) is simply good for business.
I agree but unfortunately consignment/retail isn't a make you rich kinda business and so even am extra couple hundred a month for bathroom supplies and such isn't worth it to some. Some stores in strip malls don't even have restrooms on site so it may not even be their choice.
I guess having worked in a glass shop and replacing broken and vandalized mirrors and windows I understand why people wouldn't let the general public use their restroom. The people on here may be sweet moms with 2yr olds who need to potty urgently but its called discrimination if you don't allow the 18yr old thug use it too.
And believe me, I know about tipping based on someone showing interest in your family. Once dh tipped a lady $50 for saying we have the most beautiful and well-behaved children. Hahahaha! I'm not as generous as he is and may have given her more like 25%!