Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-28-2010, 02:35 PM   #21
boysniris
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Boycott of Once Upon a Child in Carmel, Indiana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittee View Post
I have a story too, my local OUAC has rude cashiers too. I went there last weekend with my husband, mother in law and 7 month old daughter in tow and we showed up 20 mins early on a Sunday. Apparently they open later on Sundays than Saturdays and I didn't get the memo. No problem.

As we were sitting in the car for a few minutes, and it was about 10 mins to 12, I thought, "You know what, I'll just go tap on the window and see if they could let us in a few minutes early." There were 3 cashiers milling around inside, sitting behind the desk. So I thought, why not? What the harm?

So I go and tap on the window and they look up at me and one of them mouthed "What do you want?" And I pointed to the door and mouthed "Can we come in a few moments early?" Keep in mind it was like 150 degrees in a scalding parking lot... And then the clerk gets this SUPER annoyed look on her face, rolls her eyes at me and "rudely" mouthed back. "UH NO." Shakes her head and points at her watch then turns her face away from me and back to her co-workers. And animatedly complains to them.

Well Geeze. OK. I understand if you can't be bothered to unlock the door like 8 mins early but you don't have to be rude about it right?

So we wait for them to unlock the door and we are parked RIGHT infront of the door and I got distracted with MIL and the baby when I see another family enter the door. Then I knew they were open a few mins later. They couldn't even signal to us we could come on in.

I'm a little preturbed but we go in anyways and I pick out about 75 bucks worth of stuff and while we are paying I said "Sorry about tapping on the window, it was just hot outside, I have a few groceries in the back of my car, didn't notice that you guys didn't open until 12 today and I was hoping you could have let us in a few minutes early." The cashier (The same rude chick) just stares blankly at me, shoves my receipt back at me and then walks away to stock.

Not A SINGLE WORD was said to me about it. WTH?

I mean acknowledge me?

Well we left. But I'm dubious about returning. Not because they didn't let us in early but because she was rude about it.

When I ran stores...I would usually unlock the door if I was there...and if I didn't I was at least apologetic to the person why I didn't.

Common courtesy is a lost art these days.
???? She could have at least said "Sorry I'm not allowed to open early" or something to placate you...I'd write a complaint letter to the manager. In this economy I bet there is someone else who would like her job and do better as well!

Advertisement

boysniris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 02:37 PM   #22
BottomOfMyHearts
Registered Users
Formerly: NewFoundFaith
seller

My Mood:

Yah that's what I don't get. I understand that it may have been some sort of policy not to open up a few minutes early, but the rudeness and then completely being ignored to my friendly explanation.. not so much. You're right. Maybe I SHOULD write a letter. Letters are so formal.
BottomOfMyHearts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 02:48 PM   #23
stinkelein
Registered Users

My Mood:

With all the raves about it from moms in my home town I thought I was the only one with problems with this particular store. I went when the one around here first opened and they were so incredibly rude that I have not been back. We have two locally owned resale shops in the next town over and they are so nice I would much rather give them my money.
Btw the Joann's in My hometown got in trouble for not having a public restroom. So why this other store would not have one is beyond me. I used to work for a family owned toy and baby store and because we had kids in the store we felt we had to have a restroom. even though we had someone paint the walls with ummmm poo.
More than once.

Even if it is not store policy to allow the public to use it, I have had more than one store allow me or my child use the restroom.

When I was in retail we were taught that the customer in the store came first, then the customer on the phone then any stocking or cleaning up. Stocking the shelves does not make your boss any money.... good customer service does.
I would let the owner of that store (or corporate)depending on how the chain is run, know what happened. I would focus more on the lack of customer service than on how much you would have spent, but make sure they know they lost ALL your business.
Old 08-28-2010, 02:49 PM   #24
sasra_nu
Registered Users
seller

Yeah, the minimum charge for CC's is totally not allowed, per their agreement with the credit card companies.

As for the bathroom, I guess it could be a liability... I worked in a small gift shop in college, and our bathroom was back behind the stockroom, so I couldn't let a customer back there (with all the merchandise), and be able to watch the store at the same time.

I don't like OUAC, period. I went in my closest store (Orland Park, IL) ONCE and it was so cluttered, so crowded, so overpriced - and not just good brands, but lots of WM/Target brands, priced higher than you can get them NEW. I can't see myself ever going back. I love a bargain, and buy most of DD's clothes used, but for those prices, I can get nicer, NEW items, if I just wait for a sale.
sasra_nu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 03:03 PM   #25
maureen73
Registered Users
seller

I'm sure it is obvious but where is the liability? It's not like the kiddo is going to get sucked down the toilet or anything? Maybe I am just not getting that part?
Old 08-28-2010, 03:23 PM   #26
Dory
Registered Users
Formerly: Thing1 & Thing2
seller
seller

The liability lies in having customers in an area with merchandise, filing, fixtures, etc.

Though it is ridiculous that they wouldn't have a bathroom accessible for children in a children's store.
Old 08-28-2010, 03:25 PM   #27
CherryPie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by j+csmama View Post
Come on down here to ours in Bloomington! They have a public restroom. You'd think a kids store would have a kids bathroom.....

GetSafeScents.com- New Spring/Summer 2014 catalog is out!
Join Scentsy | Scentsy Closeout Section
Follow me on Instagram: @SarahB00)
CherryPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 03:35 PM   #28
reithegenki
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by maureen73 View Post
I'm sure it is obvious but where is the liability? It's not like the kiddo is going to get sucked down the toilet or anything? Maybe I am just not getting that part?
In WA state, at least, it is not just a liability issue - it is a legality issue. If your plumbing does not meet certain standards you cannot allow the public to use your restroom. Similar to food safety laws - it is regulated by the health department. You would rather get a store shut down for violating their permit than walk (or run, if you had to) a few stores down?

Life is good.

Last edited by reithegenki; 08-28-2010 at 03:45 PM.
reithegenki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 03:51 PM   #29
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

DH's mom owns a small store. While the bathroom is not always perfect, and there is boxes of merchandise back there, she would never deny a small child the opportunity to use it. Its called CUSTOMER SERVICE. There were at least 3-4 employees working the front counter. One of them could have walked us back there.

As for the Visa thing, DH wanted to complain at the time, but we never got around to doing it. Now I really wish I had! Again, I knew it was against their cardholder agreement rules since his mom owns a store. If you take Visa or Mastercard, you have to let customers use it for EVERY purchase.

There are two really nice privately owned resale shops near us. I just was right by this one and thought I'd give them a second chance. Should have known better.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 03:57 PM   #30
newmommy13
Registered Users
seller
seller

Seriously? That is some BS I would never tell a kid who is crossing their legs that they had to use a different restroom, policy or not. Same with preggo women. I almost had an accident when i was PG luckily they let me in.