Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-03-2010, 10:37 PM   #1
Bethany89
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Unhappy "Life is Disappointing"

So, if you had read any of my numerous thread.. you know that, even though I love my mother, she gets on my nerves to say the least. This is her newest one.. and while it wasn't a big deal.. It made me sad... for her.

I went over her house, which is 6 houses down lol, and was telling her that Caelyn kept trying to eat the broken strap on the Wal-Mart buggy. When I picked it, she was asleep in the Ergo. Well, when she is awake in the Ergo in a store, she likes to arch her back and lean back, so she is looking upwards and around.. It makes me nervous.. So, I put her in the seat.. She ended up back in my Ergo anyway because I couldn't get her to stop trying to eat it

She goes to me "Good, I am glad that you stopped her. She needs to learn that life is disappointing and that you don't get what you want. She needs to learn that life isn't that great."
I just looked at her and said "I never want my daughter to think that life is disappointing because it isn't. I am sorry for you that you feel your life is disappointing, but I never want her to feel like that." And she went on to tell me that yes her life is very disappointing and never turned out how she wanted

It made me sad for my mom.. She is 40 and already thinks her life is a disappointment. I know she had me young at 19, but still.. And I don't know about you guys but I just don't want my kids having a negative outlook on life from the start..

Advertisement

Old 09-03-2010, 10:47 PM   #2
MCR
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: "Life is Disappointing"

How sad. At 40 she still has time to get some things done and lose that feeling of disappointment. I hope she can somehow get over it.
Old 09-03-2010, 10:50 PM   #3
nceveritt
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

B, that's sad! That's really, really sad.

And also, in case you're wondering, that has NOTHING to do with you. You're no disappointment. I bet you were a blast to raise!

Like our store on Facebook
nceveritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 11:12 PM   #4
Sakari
Registered Users

to both of you! That is sad. Maybe she was just having a down day? I know I have more than my share of those.

Here's a story for her - have you ever read the Sword of Truth book series? They're written by Terry Goodkind. They are AMAZING. Anyway, I read a blurb on him the other day and I guess he had wanted to be a writer since high school (if not earlier) but never did it. Well he finally started writing... at age 45... and now is a New York Times Bestselling author, 11 books or so and Disney bought the rights to some of them and made a TV series out of it!

40 is still young

I sell Baltic Amber jewelry!
Sakari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 07:08 AM   #5
Bethany89
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I too hope she can get over it. I don't know why she feels this way but it makes me sad for her.
My mom has always been the one not telling me to reach my dreams but always telling me that my dreams were out of reach, never encouraging me. Like, when I tell her that after college, I will continue to be a SAHM she tells me to dream on and it won't happen.. it didn't happen for her and won't happen for me. She knows I want to travel and I said I can take the baby with me and she told me no that now I can never travel like I wanted because you can't take a baby? I just feel bad for her..
Old 09-04-2010, 07:56 AM   #6
lostiejen
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Oh, big hugs to you mama!

I have a very difficult relationship with my mother, too. I know how frustrating it can be. No good advice or anything but just wanted to chime in and give you some support.
lostiejen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 12:13 PM   #7
KiteGirl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Oh my! Those kind of comments really get to me, too. I worry that the person who said it will be a bad influence on my kid- but I find that usually comments like that are a cry for attention to the person she said it to. She probably won't say stuff like that to your kid??? I hope not! Just tell your DO when she gets old enough that Grandma can be an Eyeore sometimes Is that how you spell that? We don't watch Pooh Bear yet, lol.
KiteGirl: Mother of one boy, Cy Wife and Partner to John, educator, and perpetual student. I'm into cloth diapering (although Cy is a potty-using boy now!), babywearing, crib sleeping, vaccinating and circumcising, and am happy to support you in what you believe, as well.
KiteGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 12:34 AM   #8
crazylife
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

That is sad...and it's sad that she made that statement from a simple story about a walmart buggy strap!

40 is YOUNG - she has so much ahead of her! It's hard when our moms are negative especially when you have a daughter and you want positive female role models for her. I feel for you and your mom - I hope she can find some peace and happiness within herself
crazylife is offline   Reply With Quote